Halifax Knitting Mamas!! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-28-2005, 11:50 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cam keeps calling the pants I'm working on "Grace's skirt". The more he says it the more I think, this would make a pretty cute skirt...I think after I make the pants I'll make her a skirt!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2005, 11:52 AM

Yeah, I'd probably do about 2 inches in rib for a waistband as well. You can always fold it down as well if you want a low rise look!

Robyn, here's a link for an alternate waistband to plain old rib. http://www.curlypurly.com/pattern.html

I haven't tried it, but I've heard rave reviews. It's supposed to hold pants up better etc. Anyway, she claims you can use it with any pattern, just replace the regular waistband with it.

Alison
Old 08-28-2005, 11:54 AM

Lesley, this is the pattern you want:

http://www.littleturtleknits.com/

It's the pattern right on the front page. You knit a soaker and a skirt to go over it, all in one. Very, very cute!

Alison
Old 08-28-2005, 11:07 PM

"Just kidding Robyn, I'm not really after your soakers! I would check to make sure that your diapers don't have any buildup, just in case they're not managing to absorb, so that's why the soakers soak through so quickly, since they're trying to do the diaper's job as well!"

Thought I'd bring this topic back where it belongs....Alison and I were doing a bit of thread-hopping earlier! So....Alison, by buildup do you mean detergent? Or something else?

Old 08-28-2005, 11:15 PM

Detergent! Not something we've experienced lately, since I stopped using as much detergent, but I couldn't believe how slowly a diaper absorbs when it has detergent buildup! In our case, the pee basically ran off the dipe and pooled in the PUL cover, before eventually being absorbed by the diaper. Crazy! And don't over-lanolise either, or you'll get sticky covers.

I started a pair of doodlepants today. For the short rows do you slip and wrap the stitch before or after to the marker? As in knit to the marker and wrap the stitch beyond it? Or knit to the stitch before the marker and wrap it? It don't think it makes a big difference really, just wondered how everyone else interpreted it? I'm leaning towards slipping and wrapping the stitch after the marker.

Alison
Old 08-29-2005, 12:02 AM
Banned

So I was about to make the switch from my body to the legs, when I discovered a stitch that was knotted! I couldn't get it to knit properly, I don't even know how it happened! I decided to unravel a bit and fix the mistake, but I couldn't get the stitches back on the needle. I decided, after a bit of a cry, to unravel the lot and start fresh, thereby fixing the countless mini-mistakes I made along the way.
I was SO CLOSE!

Ok, bright side: I have learned from my earlier errors and I will do better this time. Dry my eyes and get knitting!
Old 08-29-2005, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Don't feel so bad, Lesley. I'm looking at my waist band and thinking I will be re-doing mine as well. If Alison or Robyn will look at it at playgroup tomorrow I will know better, but I'm pretty sure I missed a few stiches along the way. I'm just not happy with my first attempt. I know I can do better! :LOL

Mama to DD#1 (03/05) and DD#2 (05/08). Expecting baby #3.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchwormz
I'm just not happy with my first attempt. I know I can do better! :LOL
That's how I felt. I have some of my new waistband done and it looks much better than my last attempt. It's just that I was almost to the next step! I was about to transfer some to the stitch holder!!

Oh well, this time it will be gorgeous.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:19 PM

Tamara and Lesley, I'm sure that you will both have beautiful next attempts. Tips when picking up stitches when ripping back--rip back to just before where you want and then use a smaller needle to pick them up than the size you had been using. Then you can "unknit" the last bit--more controlled than ripping. Which by the way is called "frogging"--you know, "rip it, rip it, rip it" :LOL I can show you how to unknit or deknit if you like tomorrow! BTW, I'm working on pants too, so hopefully that means I'll be able to help, since I'll know exactly what you're talking about.

Well, Andrew fell asleep in the mei tai on the way home before we even got to the bottom of South Street! And I got him down on the bed asleep with ease after we got home! He did seem to get heavier when he was asleep though!

Alison
Old 08-29-2005, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
AND... (I know you're thinking, how could there possibly be more?) any knitters in the group (I'm too lazy to go post this over on that thread, sorry) have been invited to the Tangled Skeins Stitch and Bitch, which meets on Wednesday nights at 7:30, at Uncommon Grounds (1030 South Park St.) There are 5 +/- women who meet there and do basically what we do on Tuesdays. I explained that we all have kids, so may not be able to get there regularily, but thanked them for the welcome anyway. I may try to get out there at least once or twice before Gabe leaves.
I don't think we'd be able to make it for awhile. Rayne still needs me to nurse her to sleep and I am not pumping (ever!) if I can help it. I've gone this long without the need to pump, I just can't bring myself to try. Breast pumps look scary!!

Old 08-29-2005, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I've gone this long without the need to pump, I just can't bring myself to try. Breast pumps look scary!!
I think they're scarier than they look...I had to pump for many months because of Mika's reflux (unfortunately they couldn't figure out a way to get rice into my boobs to thicken things up...so to the bottle we went!) We survived. Obviously if you don't have to pump, then why would you?! But if you're looking for a night out, don't be too scared. You have to wonder though....who sat around and thought the "breast pump" up? :LOL

-R

As an after thought...this should probably go on our other thread...once again, too lazy!
Old 08-29-2005, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison
Detergent! I'm leaning towards slipping and wrapping the stitch after the marker.

Alison
That's what I've done. Don't think it would make a difference though...your short rows would just be 2 stitches shorter, that's all.

Hey...can you "lanolize" something that is 75% acrylic and 25% wool?
Old 08-29-2005, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesley&grace

I decided, after a bit of a cry, to unravel the lot and start fresh, thereby fixing the countless mini-mistakes I made along the way.
I was SO CLOSE!

Ok, bright side: I have learned from my earlier errors and I will do better this time. Dry my eyes and get knitting!
This still happens to me sometimes...I think its the universes way of telling me to fix the mistakes!
Old 08-29-2005, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't think we'd be able to make it for awhile. Rayne still needs me to nurse her to sleep and I am not pumping (ever!) if I can help it. I've gone this long without the need to pump, I just can't bring myself to try. Breast pumps look scary!!

I have a Gerber massage manual pump, and it's not so bad. They retail for about $50, but gerber is fabulous about replacing parts that break, even if you drop them! They've replaced our entire pump because I dropped it and cracked the part where the bottle screws on. I pump b/c I mix EBM with Grace's cereal, she won't have anything to do with a bottle!!

As for the knitting thing, that sounds kinda cool. Maybe when she's a bit older I can check that out.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:15 PM

I know this belongs on the other thread, but oh well. Tamara, I pumped only because I wanted to have a stash for emergencies. We never had an emergency, thank goodness, but still. I used an Avent Isis, and it was no big deal. Not uncomfortable at all. Mind you, back then I would let down at the drop of a hat, so maybe that's why pumping was no big deal!

Anyway, maybe I'll see if I can get to the knitting thing on Wednesday. Not sure, cause Andrew is more an 8 o'clock bedtime guy. Hey, Tamara, there's no reason you couldn't just bring Rayne with you, she's not even six months yet, is she? I still took Andrew everywhere at that age!

Alison
Old 08-29-2005, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I used an Avent Isis, and it was no big deal. Not uncomfortable at all. Alison
Me too...loved that padded bit...can't remember what it's called... But it rocked!
Old 08-30-2005, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hey, Tamara, there's no reason you couldn't just bring Rayne with you, she's not even six months yet, is she? I still took Andrew everywhere at that age!
I know, but she gets very cranky after 7pm. It's her witching hour! :LOL I think I'd wait until she was a bit older and I could leave her alone with daddy. I may have to do a few short practice runs with this first (more for me than for her!) before I'm really comfortable.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:32 AM

Tamara, if you want to try a pump "just in case" you can borrow mine. The entire pump can be sterilised in boiling water for as long as you like--its parts are all silicone and I still have the box and the instructions etc. Just thought I'd offer!

Alison
Old 08-30-2005, 10:07 AM

I loved my Avent Isis! Give it a try. I pumped alot with Olivia because I went back to work full time when she was 6 months old and never gave her formula. With Lily I was home but still pumped to keep a stash in the freezer just in case and I also mixed it with her cereal etc. OK..I won't be at knitting today...we had a late night since it was my grandparents 59th wedding anniversary and the kids are still sleeping at 9:06am!! Plus I don't seem to get much done with the older one saying "I'm bored" every 2 minutes!
Old 08-30-2005, 05:28 PM
Banned

No worries Vanessa, all you missed was Grace bawling her head off. Poor baby is not feeling very well and she was having a hard time sleeping. I think she is teething along with her cold. She had an hour+ long nap after we left knitting group and is in a better spirits (of course as I type she is beginning to fuss!).
Old 08-30-2005, 09:29 PM

Poor Grace! I did feel sorry for her!

Robyn, I don't know if I'll be able to make tomorrow night. I called home at about 7 to see how things were going and Andrew was wailing and I think Jeff felt like wailing too! I don't think it makes this week a good idea, but maybe I'll be surprised. Somehow I doubt it. :

Alison
Old 08-30-2005, 11:40 PM

No worries....I've been in the same boat before! We can try again next week

If I get brave, I may go by myself...but that's not likely

I'm busy working on that Ottobre pattern...I found some HUGE Brown Sheep Co. yarn (almost roving...it's 2.5 sts. to the inch)that is hand dyed and beeeeuuutiful. I'm excited to see how it turns out. My plan is to felt it a bit....we'll see!

Oh, and no, I haven't finished the pants yet...I just needed a break...well, either that or I have ADD :LOL

R
Old 08-30-2005, 11:54 PM

Alison - Thanks so much for posting that link to those online videos. They are GREAT! I am learning alot more from that than from a book. I am psyched to fix all my mistakes .
Old 08-31-2005, 01:21 AM
Banned

:

These and plus a screaming-and-pulling-out-hair smilie which needs to be invented describe how I am feeling about these pants right now!!!!!!

I made an error in my short-rowing. I did it in the wrong blessed spot. Then I tried to just go back and fix that row, but decided to go back furthur to correct the messy short-rowing I had done earlier since I figured out how to make look nice. Well, I wasn't paying attention and went too far. All the way to my ribbing in fact. So I tried to put it back on the smaller needles, and lost a bunch of stitches as I went along

So I am back to square one. Phil wakes up as I am sitting winding the ball back up, a pile of wrinkly yarn beside me, and he says "Oh, did you make a mistake?" I couldn't even talk about it, I just said "nevermind".

So, I go to bed now. Hopefully this project won't look so bleak in the morning.

I WILL CONQUER THESE PANTS!!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2005, 10:16 AM

Robyn, the Ottobre pattern is wierd. You end up decreasing and increasing for twice as may rown as it says (it says decrease at each end of 6 rows, but it means decrease at the beginning of 12 rows or something like that). I think it's cause something is lost in the translation, I think theyr'e using row to mean there and back again, ie one ridge, or something like that. Anyway, I figured it out, I'm sure you will as well! I was thinking maybe I could go for a walk with Andrew in the stroller this evening and just drop by the stitch and bitch. You interested?

Lesley, third time lucky, right? What are you using as stitch markers? I use bits of yarn and use a different colour for beginning and end so that I don't end up doing short rows or whatever in the wrong place--eg I used a purple marker at 3/4 and a white one at 1/4, so I knew to start the short rows on the purple marker.

Vanessa, glad you're enjoying the videos!

Alison
Old 08-31-2005, 01:39 PM

Sounds good Alison...let me check in with you later though....in the event of something traumatic happening in either of our days! Mika is napping peacefully at the moment, and he went down without any drama which bodes well for tonight! (can I brag for a moment? right before he napped he "asked" me to pick him up, then made the signs for "milk" and "blanket"...essentially he asked me to put him down for a nap!!! That's a first, and it will probably be WEEKS before it happens again, but I was so excited!)

Anyway, off to seam up my Ottobre soaker, which is HUGE....time for me to figure out how to felt!

R
Old 08-31-2005, 03:06 PM

Okay, I don't get it, everyone says their Ottobre soakers are huge. Mine isn't, it's really quite reasonable, and fits Andrew quite nicely now! I'm still not sure what I did wrong there!

Alison
Old 08-31-2005, 06:50 PM

Dunno...something to do with gauge maybe? Mine was 2.5 sts. to the inch...it has felted down nicely though, and turned into the ULTIMATE SUPER SOAKER!!!! It doesn't fit Mika, but will fit #2 when he/she who-has-yet-to-be-concieved is about 18-20lbs. Seriously, you could wear this thing through the night and have no leaks!! Yipeeee!
Old 08-31-2005, 07:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Lesley, third time lucky, right? What are you using as stitch markers? I use bits of yarn and use a different colour for beginning and end so that I don't end up doing short rows or whatever in the wrong place--eg I used a purple marker at 3/4 and a white one at 1/4, so I knew to start the short rows on the purple marker.
Alison
I am using stitch markers, and I used two different colours, but I had put in an extra so I could count how many stitches I had, then I turned back at my first marker instead of my second, basically I confused myself.

I was thinking about going to the stitch and bitch tonight, but when we got home there was a notice saying they are turning off our hot water tomorrow instead of today, which means I have to finish the laundry tonight, or at least the stuff that needs to be washed in hot. Plus I have one big kid with a mild throat infection and a very sore ear infection, and a little kid who has not napped well today due to being gone all day who is starting to feel a bit cranken-tush. Perhaps next week.

I think I am going to take a short break from the pants to knit a nice, safe dishcloth. Get up my self-esteem with an easy project!

Oh, and I bought the Flirty-Skirty pattern, thanks for showing it to me Alison!
Old 08-31-2005, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesley&grace
I think I am going to take a short break from the pants to knit a nice, safe dishcloth. Get up my self-esteem with an easy project!

Good plan! It always helps to go back to something you do well...to reaffirm that YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mika's working on a fever tonight too....guess it's not our night for Stitch and Bitch....sigh.

User Tag List