Halifax Knitting Mamas!! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 2034 Old 09-06-2005, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lesley, if you have enough bus fare to get here, I can lend you bus fare home! In fact, I would LOVE to lend you bus fare home if you want to come!

Alison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 2034 Old 09-06-2005, 08:46 AM

I won't be there either Lesley..kids are sleeping in today. We were all over the place yesterday and they are wiped! Plus school starts tomorrow so we have to get ready for that. BTW....I knitted a Barbie skirt for Olivia's Barbie doll....she was soo impressed!!! :LOL It was actually a practice piece with some increasing etc. but it looked like a little skirt.
#243 of 2034 Old 09-06-2005, 01:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison
Lesley, if you have enough bus fare to get here, I can lend you bus fare home! In fact, I would LOVE to lend you bus fare home if you want to come!

Alison
Thank you very much Alison, but sadly enough I only have 18 cents to my name. I am going to roll some pennies this afternoon so we can get to Grace's dr's appt. I hate being broke. It just seemed like everything came at once on us, and then to top it off Cam's meds for his ear and throat infection cost us almost $100!!! We'll be all caught up tomorrow and thursday when we get paid, but in the meantime it's been hard. If only Cam could have waited another week to get sick, then it would have been covered by the Dal student family med plan!!! Timing is everything I guess.

I am thinking I may go over to the Stitch and Bitch tomorrow night, depending on if Phil is working and what shift he is on. And depending on how Cam's first day at his new school goes. Hopefully he'll be registered for school by then, we still have not been able to get a hold of anyone.....

I think I had better go lay down before my head explodes.
#244 of 2034 Old 09-06-2005, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I saw a poster for this: http://www.pacafiesta.com/
I didn't check too much but it has yarn and animals, so I thought it might be an interesting family outing for knitters with kids.

Charlene
#245 of 2034 Old 09-06-2005, 07:09 PM

hi all...we're home, finally! What did I miss today???? I can't come to knitting for the next 2 weeks either Mika's surgery is next Tuesday, and my sister (a non-knitter....the genes skipped her I guess) is here with my niece the following Tuesday. Oh well......at least we can get to Playgroup though!

R
#246 of 2034 Old 09-06-2005, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama
I saw a poster for this: http://www.pacafiesta.com/
I didn't check too much but it has yarn and animals, so I thought it might be an interesting family outing for knitters with kids.

Charlene
ohmigod! THis looks like soooo much fun! Lucy Neatby is doing a FREE 1 hour class on Saturday, ANNNNDDDD some local spinners are going to be there with their wheels showing folks how to spin (something I have always ment to learn how to do)......I'm going to go back to the website now and see if I can figure out when I want to go check it out (it's all weekend). Anyone else interested??

Okay...I looked through the website...I want to go on Sat. in time for Lucy's class which is at 2pm. There are also going to be yarn and fibre vendors there, which OF COURSE, I have to go check out too I can drive...and my plan is for Mika and Gabe to find something else to do that afternoon...so I have room for 4 more adults, or less adults and a car seat or two. Any takers???
#247 of 2034 Old 09-06-2005, 08:08 PM

Lucy's giving a free workshop? Argh, I'm working Saturday! Hey, Robyn, I'm going down on Sunday at noon to sign up for Lucy's 'A Dabble into Double" course (double knitting, you know, knit two sides at once, alternating stitches and yarn, and get something reversible?) It's October 26th in the evening and is $23. You interested?

For the rest of you, you should definitely sign up for Lucy's other course, it takes place onThursday October 27th in the evening for three hours, is also $23, and is called "Getting to Know Your Stitches". Course description is: "This is an enrichment class for new knitters who wish to learn a few more essential techniques. You will learn about gauge and how to adjust it, basic decreases, increases and their difference, dropping stitches and staging rescues." But don't be fooled by the description, you learn way more than that from Lucy, because she's just an amazing instructor and really was a piece of yarn in a former life, she has to have been! You get a 15 minute break, so make DHs hang around outside with the babies, and nurse them on the break! That's what I did the first time I took a course from Lucy.

Alison
#248 of 2034 Old 09-06-2005, 08:13 PM

Just checked with the folks to make sure they can Mika-sit on the 26th....Alison, we're on!!! Can I go with you on Sunday to sign up?? Where is the registration taking place??

Couldn't you...cough, cough, sniffle, sniffle....call in ahem, sick on Saturday???
#249 of 2034 Old 09-06-2005, 08:22 PM

Registration is down at the Mary E. Black Gallery on Barrington. You are completely welcome to come to register. I have to bring Andrew with me, since Jeff is at the track Sunday. I always go to the in-person registration now, since the one time I skipped it I got put on a waiting list! And then had to beg Lucy to call the centre and tell them to let me come (she did, but I don't want to play that card again!).

Alison
#250 of 2034 Old 09-06-2005, 08:26 PM

And I don't think I can call in sick Saturday--too many knitters in the library system to risk it (although I don't think any of them are into alpacas, but you never know!).

Andrew is at home (I'm at work) with a fever, a cough, and a runny nose. Just thought I'd warn those of you that I saw yesterday!

Alison
#251 of 2034 Old 09-06-2005, 08:58 PM

robyn, i'll be there! sounds great, and i could enlarge the stash. :LOL thanks for the tip, charlene, good on ya

has anyone else seen the google earth site? it's amazing! you can zoom in on your house from the heavens. ulimately cool!
#252 of 2034 Old 09-06-2005, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Robyn, you still have room for Saturday?? We would to go to this! It looks like fun!

Mama to DD#1 (03/05) and DD#2 (05/08). Expecting baby #3.
#253 of 2034 Old 09-06-2005, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xian
has anyone else seen the google earth site? it's amazing! you can zoom in on your house from the heavens. ulimately cool!
YES! Highly addictive!!!
#254 of 2034 Old 09-06-2005, 11:12 PM
Banned

Well, if I had realized that this was to be my last chance to get out of the house during the week, I would have rolled my pennies and gotten the bus whether they wanted to take my pennies or not!! We found out today that there is no lunch program for walking students at Cam's school, which means that I don't get to go anywhere while he is at school. By the time I get anywhere I will have to go back to get him for lunch. It has left me more than a little upset, I really like getting out with like-minded mommas.

So here is my plea: Can we alternate weeks for knitting? I would love to have you great gals here, plus it gives me adult contact! I was thinking that maybe some of you travelling from halifax can maybe carpool and that would make it easier?

And any of you who feel like coming to visit me, my teapot is always on, just pm me for my number/address and I'd love to have company. I feel like a bloody shut-in!!!!
#255 of 2034 Old 09-07-2005, 10:12 AM

Lesley - Olivia comes home for lunch too so it limits my day as well. At least I am only a 40 miniute walk from downtown Halifax (or a 15 minute bus ride) but still a pain to break up the day. I did ask a friend of mine to take her for lunch on Monday so I can at least make playgroup. I don't mind coming to your place for knitting but would have to be there by 9:15-9:30 to make it worthwhile and give me enough time to get back in the car and over the bridge to pick Olivia up at school for 11:55. There are also alot of people at our school who take kid's for lunch for $5.00/day. They walk to the school to pick up the kids then walk them back. I have Olivia on a list at one woman's house once I go back to work. Maybe they have a list at Cam's school. Just a thought.
#256 of 2034 Old 09-07-2005, 10:18 AM

Lesley - I have a large bag of clothes for you. Would be happy to come by this week sometime and drop them off. Maybe Friday morning? You can put the tea on and we can chat I'll also work out a price for the diapers.
#257 of 2034 Old 09-07-2005, 10:31 AM

Ok....Alison let's go register together. We can talk again closer to Sunday about how we're getting there.

Tamara...check my PM to you, you're in for the ride on Sat!

Cristian...do you want to plan to meet up at the Ex. Hall on Sat?

Charlene...are you coming with us? It was your great idea, afterall!!

And finally...poor Lesley Don't worry though.....I'm about to be a lonely, unemployed, single mother (anyone crying yet?)....so I'll be looking for company and conversation too! Mika and I will make a habit of coming over to hang out...he can help you baby-proof your apartment, ha-ha
#258 of 2034 Old 09-07-2005, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xian
It's my husbands new obsession!! He has marked a billion spots in Mexico where he has family :LOL
#259 of 2034 Old 09-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivett
Lesley - I have a large bag of clothes for you. Would be happy to come by this week sometime and drop them off. Maybe Friday morning? You can put the tea on and we can chat I'll also work out a price for the diapers.
Love to have you! And same to you Robyn!

As for a list at school, on Sept 19 I can register him for the Excel program, which is supposedly full, so hopefully I can get him on a waiting list for that program. I am also putting him on a wait list for the daycare nearby in hopes that he can go there when the time comes for me to go back to work. Fingers crossed for the subsidies to come through in time for us!

Is anyone going to the stitch and bitch at Uncommon Grounds tonight? I have the day and place right, yes? I am thinking about it....

Well, I have to get ready to pick Cam up for lunch.
#260 of 2034 Old 09-07-2005, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeaufoy
And finally...poor Lesley Don't worry though.....I'm about to be a lonely, unemployed, single mother (anyone crying yet?)....
Even though hubby will be back this weekend, he will be living with his sister in the south end until I find a job so I'm technically still a single mom during the day and still unemployed so we can have a pity party together!!!
#261 of 2034 Old 09-07-2005, 11:25 AM

Gawd - is this the knitting thread or the drown your sorrows and vent thread?
#262 of 2034 Old 09-07-2005, 11:26 AM

Lesley - I'll be there Friday morning. PM me your phone number again and address . BTW - how many diapers did I give you?
#263 of 2034 Old 09-07-2005, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Gawd - is this the knitting thread or the drown your sorrows and vent thread?
Just what I was thinking!

Where is uncommon grounds? Since I'm going to try and go tonight.

And, my winder came! It's awesome! I'm going to be a winding fool! Now I just need a yarn swift to go with it!

Alison
#264 of 2034 Old 09-07-2005, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Even though hubby will be back this weekend, he will be living with his sister in the south end until I find a job so I'm technically still a single mom during the day and still unemployed so we can have a pity party together!!!
Sounds great!! I'd love the company....I tend to start feeling really sorry for myself when I don't have other people around to talk to....Gabe leaves on the 20th, and my folks don't come back from the cottage until after Thanksgiving. Plus, Mika is always happier when he has other people besides me to "talk" to all day :LOL
#265 of 2034 Old 09-07-2005, 12:48 PM

Quote:

Where is uncommon grounds?

Alison
It's on South Park street....I think I posted the street # back when I first mentioned their invitation...can't remember though.
#266 of 2034 Old 09-07-2005, 01:09 PM

Lesley, we can meet at your house for knitting from now on, how does that sound? I'll just have to leave early! However, I can't come next Tuesday, cause I need to be home for the cable guy to come! I hate the way they do things--you get a 5 hour window when they might arrive! After I go back to Tantallon, are you okay with switching to Thursday mornings? I'd miss you guys if it didn't get switched!

Alison
#267 of 2034 Old 09-07-2005, 01:22 PM

Lesley, are you going to go tonight? I will drive you home if you do go, since I'm going to go I think. Andrew seems to be fine as long as he has some tylenol in him, so I think that he and Jeff can fend for themselves! I even have an infant car seat in the trunk right now in case you decide to bring Grace! Call me if you like, it's 4 2 5 0 4 7 3, before you leave, and I'll let you know for sure if I think I can make it or not.

Robyn, what about you?

And now for some links (local of course!)

http://www.fleeceartist.com/handmaid..._pandaset.html
http://www.fleeceartist.com/products.html
http://www.gaspereauvalleyfibres.ca/index.htm (note the workshop on October 30th with Lucy, it's her finishing workshop, which I found amazingly helpful!)
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/liona.jollota/ (did anyone know there was another yarn store downtown?)
http://www.lismoresheepfarmwoolshop.com/ (this is the guy that makes the River John wooden needles that Tangled Skeins sells)
http://www.briggsandlittle.com/wool/default.htm (cause you won't find cheaper yarn locally than this, and I happen to like the little bits of straw still stuck in it!)
http://www.shelridge.com/index.php (Ontario, not strictly local!)
#268 of 2034 Old 09-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Lesley, are you going to go tonight? I will drive you home if you do go, since I'm going to go I think. Andrew seems to be fine as long as he has some tylenol in him, so I think that he and Jeff can fend for themselves! I even have an infant car seat in the trunk right now in case you decide to bring Grace! Call me if you like, it's 4 2 5 0 4 7 3, before you leave, and I'll let you know for sure if I think I can make it or not.

Robyn, what about you?
Yes, I think I will go, all I've had today is kid-contact. I will be bringing Grace, so the car seat will be put to use if you don't mind driving me home.

It starts at 7:30 right? I'll probably leave here around 6:30ish depending on bus schedule.

I am going to go have a nap with Grace now, since she is out cold in the sling and getting heavy!
#269 of 2034 Old 09-07-2005, 02:17 PM

Quote:
After I go back to Tantallon, are you okay with switching to Thursday mornings? I'd miss you guys if it didn't get switched! Alison
I have Tales For Tots at Spring Garden on Thursday mornings
#270 of 2034 Old 09-07-2005, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Woah, I blinked and there are two more pages of posts!

Lesley, the 14/61 gives nealy door to door service between our apartments, so count on seeing me from time to time, or if you just NEED an adult to visit, give me a call.

Robyn, I'll probably go to pacafiesta, but there are out of town friends dropping by for a quick visit on Saturday, so I don't want to accept any rides and then have to change plans, so I'm thinking I might just take a cab, it's not too much from here.

Alison, congratulation on the winder!

ta-ta for now

Charlene

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page