Halifax Knitting Mamas!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2034 Old 08-11-2005, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay everyone, here it is! The official Halifax Knitting Mommies thread! I think this is a good idea just to keep the about knitting in one spot and so that we don't bore any new mommies (and the regulars!) over in the playgroup thread. Everyone is welcome over here as well, though!

Well, I'm off to buy some new needles. I like the idea of wood but I also pink so I may just have to get some pink milk needles (is that what they're called?). I will ask about them when I get there.

So what is everyone working on right now?? Let's get this party started! :

Tamara , WAHM to Rayne (03/05) and Aurora (05/08).
#2 of 2034 Old 08-11-2005, 02:00 PM

OK...I am willing to give this knitting thing a try. I'll be your challenge . I'm not crafty and not very patient when it comes to this type of stuff but my mom likes those knitted dish cloths (and so do I to be honest) that I am willing to try it out. So...what the heck do I need??? I am close to the Hydrostone Wool Store. When do we next meet and where?
#3 of 2034 Old 08-11-2005, 02:48 PM

Okay, we've been meeting at my house every second Tuesday. Do we want to continue that? If so, we would meet again on the 23rd at 10:00 am. Can we change the thread name? I am sooooo NOT a mommy! Mum, mama, anything but mommy (my British background coming out, I guess!!!!!).

For starters, if you want to make a dishcloth, I'd go to Zeller's and pay $1.50 for a skein of Bernat handicrafter's cotton and needles that are something like 6mm. You can invest in expensive yarn and needles and stuff for your second project, once you know it's going to "take", KWIM? Plus the Bernat cotton comes with a dishcloth pattern on the inside of the label!

Tamara, wooden needles are less slippy. Also, if you aren't already, you could try knitting your blanket back and forth on a circular needle, rather than on straights. Not so big and heavy that way, it doesn't weigh down one arm, but sits nicely in your lap!

Alison
#4 of 2034 Old 08-11-2005, 02:54 PM

Okay...here I am...feeling seriously displaced...but I suppose I'll get over it. Oh...and I have to second that request to be called something other than "mommy". I guess it's my british upbringing rearing it's ugly head again :LOL

I'm still fighting a loosing battle with the LTK ribby diaper wrap.....Alison, what do you think if I use the XL sizing for the waist band...and then downsize to the L for the rest of the wrap? I love the idea of the trim fit of the wrap....I desperately want this to WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R
#5 of 2034 Old 08-11-2005, 02:56 PM

Right...I'll go to Zeller's then . Thanks for the tip and I'll be there for the next knitting session... Please be patient with me!!!!
#6 of 2034 Old 08-11-2005, 03:24 PM

Robyn, just post a description of the problem and then ask that same question over at the yarn crafts forum. Put LTK in the suject line and Theresa is sure to answer you. I would also suggest not pulling the ribbing in so tight--eg, not going down as many needle sizes or whatever. I think I may have used heavier yarn than you used, I certainly don't remember mine being so out of proportion! Post it and see what others say!

Alison
#7 of 2034 Old 08-11-2005, 03:43 PM

Done!

Love Andrew's bead-head, BTW!
#8 of 2034 Old 08-11-2005, 03:48 PM

the bed head is fab! very dramatic indeed.

i will third the call for anything but mommies: yet more british background! don't worry, van, we'll be gentle with you...
#9 of 2034 Old 08-11-2005, 03:58 PM

Yay - can't wait to meet you all in person! What's the weather like?

Hey Trivett - if I can make one suggestion...go and buy some dollar store yarn. It's cheap acrylic, but it's great to learn on. I always have trouble with cotton - it rips up my hands something terrible.

Oh, and Tamara - if pink's your thing...you could always buy wooden needles and stain them pink. After inheriting many of my mum's extra plastic needles (she used to be a LYS owner), I've decided to stick with bamboo needles. They're lighter (dang carpal tunnel syndrome) and "stickier"...
#10 of 2034 Old 08-11-2005, 04:16 PM

What about the "Halifax Knit and B*tch" forum..that's what we do anyway right? :LOL
#11 of 2034 Old 08-11-2005, 04:32 PM

Vanessa, shame on you!! We're very nice and don't b*tch about anybody! More like Halifax Ladies Yarn and Tea Social Club (if I could just convince you all to drink tea while you were there, rather than just water!). No, well, okay, maybe we're not that nice ALL the time, but I hate the title stitch and b*tch. It just sounds so catty and unpleasant, a bunch of knitters cackling away or something! I'm okay with Halifax Knitting mommies, just say Halifax Knitting Mamas instead! Mama is a very MDC way of describing yourself anyway!

Alison
#12 of 2034 Old 08-11-2005, 04:42 PM

BTW I was just joking...... Didn't think I would be taken so seriously You are a lovely group of women but just could not resist.
#13 of 2034 Old 08-11-2005, 04:52 PM

Not taking you seriously at all! I just can't be bothered using smilies! Assume there are silly smilies in pretty much everything I write, and you'll get the right idea.

Anyway, I still want a ball winder and yarn swift for Christmas. For those of you who know what they are! And if I get them, you're all welcome to bring your wool to my house for ball winding parties!

Alison
#14 of 2034 Old 08-11-2005, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, we're back from the yarn shop! I got some really cool wooden (bamboo?) needles that have painted tops on them. Just the thing to get me motivated to start knitting again! I got a pair of small ones...perfect for a dish cloth and a longer pair for future projects. They were all out of the pink . I think Lesley got the last ones but I will check back with them again in a few weeks!

So let's come up with a great and creative name! I'm not stuck on mommies at all, I just didn't want to use mommas (mamas?) 'cause that's what the Vancouver group used. We could all post a name or two and have a vote on our favourite. What you all think? I think we can agree that the stich & ** is probably out, so let's brainstorm!

BTW, tea would be perfect in the winter, but too hot for right now! :LOL And Alison, if you want to have a break from your house sometime, I can offer my place up, it just may not be as convenience 'cause I'm *way* over here in Dartmouth (jk!). Actually, I'm right at Mic Mac Mall so it may not be that inconvenient, but let me know!

#15 of 2034 Old 08-11-2005, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison
Anyway, I still want a ball winder and yarn swift for Christmas. For those of you who know what they are! And if I get them, you're all welcome to bring your wool to my house for ball winding parties!
They make a ball winder??? : (I ask as I sit here winding my yarn!) I *have* to see that! So cool!

#16 of 2034 Old 08-11-2005, 08:28 PM
Banned

A ball winder sounds fabulous!

Yes, my place will shortly be open for meeting, and hey Tamara we can gather over Alison's book and work on stuff since we live close by to each other (I'm nearby Dartmouth's other mall, Penhorn). I am going to go back to my purl sample, I know I can figure it out, given practice.
#17 of 2034 Old 08-12-2005, 12:15 PM
Banned

Ok experienced knitters, I have no idea what I am doing wrong with purling, but I can't get all my bumps on the one side of the swatch I'm am practising on. So in the meantime I will work on my fancy scarf and maybe at the next meet someone can show me where I am going wrong.

Meanwhile I looked at the directions for the scarf Cameron wants to me make, all it says is Cast on 106 sts, Knit 11 rows and bind off. Am I to make this design sideways?? This is the pattern that came with the funky yarn he choose, and I am thinking I may do it differently, but 106 sts to cast on? that seems like a lot! I have to get some bigger needles before I attempt it anyway, it calls for 12.75mm needles.

Oh, and one more question: how do you know how long of a "tail" to leave when you are going to cast on? I never quite get it right, twice I didn't have enough or I have this long piece hanging off the end. Is there a formula to this that I missed when looking at the book?

Thanks ladies!
#18 of 2034 Old 08-12-2005, 01:05 PM

Lesley...it sounds like the pattern for the scarf will have you making it "sideways". Feel free to do it the "long way" though....I hate knitting scarves sideways personally! Just cast on alot less stitches (try it out a few times until you get a width you like) and go from there. Is it just knitting? No fancy stuff? If it is just knitting, then it won't matter which way you make it.

As for casting on....I don't know of a formula for figuring out how long a tail to leave....I guess you just get better at guessing as time goes by. Does anyone else know of better way to estimate?

I just bought some more wool to make a couple more diaper wraps....now that i've figured out how to make them fit Mika!

Knit on!!!!!!!!!!
#19 of 2034 Old 08-12-2005, 01:17 PM

i read somewhere that you need 3 times the finished width of whatever you're casting on. but i just have a long tail, and sew it in later. i find that much easier on the brain.
#20 of 2034 Old 08-12-2005, 01:21 PM

Lesley, for long tail cast ons I've heard the rule of thumb that you should leave three times the width of what you are knitting. Try that and let me know if it works!

For purling:

1. have your working yarn IN FRONT of your knitting
2. Put your RHN (right hand needle) through the 1st stitch on the LHN from right to left, coming out IN FRONT OF your work.
3. Wrap yarn counterclockwise around your right needle, pull it through, and pull the stitch off your LHN.

Video at:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...iques/purl.php

if it helps to actually see someone do it! If the bumps are coming out on the back and not the front, then you're actually knitting, instead of purling!

Hope that helps some at least!

For your scarf, you could easily knit it longways instead of sideways. Try maybe 12 stitches? You'll know it's time to finish when the yarn you have left is only 4 times the width of the scarf. That's enough to make sure that you can cast off! With needles that size, I'm guessing that's pretty chunky yarn! Isn't Tangled Skeins just sweet? I can't remember the woman's name though--was it Cheryl?

The problem with meeting in Dartmouth for me is that I have to be at work by 1pm. And I can't go straight to work, cause I can't park here, so I have to walk in! So it would be easier for me to keep meeting somewhere near to home or work. Having said that, end of September I'm back to work at Tantallon, which means I would have to drive to work, so could just take the car to Dartmouth and go straight to work in it from there. So could we stay at my place til end of September? That would be awesome for me anyway!

Ball winders--Tamara, ask her to wind your yarn for you next time you go into the yarn store. Then you can see the thing in operation. It's AWESOME!!

Alison
#21 of 2034 Old 08-12-2005, 03:01 PM
Banned

So, a little advice...next time you are trying to learn from a book, read ALL the instructions before moving on: I read it over again and realized where I was going wrong, I now have a lovely little swatch with all the bumps on one side...turns out I was trying to do stockingette stitch, without knitting

Next up: ribbing!
#22 of 2034 Old 08-12-2005, 03:06 PM

So, let me get this straight--you were purling perfectly all along??

For ribbing, the thing to be careful off is to make sure that when you bring your yarn from back to front and front to back, that you don't go OVER your right hand needle, but that you go over your work under the tips of the needles. And always make sure to switch your yarn from back to front or front to back. You're going to be fine, I'm sure, especially since now you know to read all the instructions carefully!

Alison
#23 of 2034 Old 08-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Banned

Yup, I can purl like a champ. Well, almost. :LOL
#24 of 2034 Old 08-12-2005, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

There's lots of knitting chatter going on in here!

Any ideas on what you would like to re-name the thread?? I could just change it to mamas if that makes everyone happy?

Not one creative idea amoung us?

#25 of 2034 Old 08-12-2005, 04:23 PM

I was perfectly happy with the "bit**es"....but that may have something to do with my overall mood this week I'm trying to be happy, I swear I am! Yes..."mamas" is fine with me.

I did some yarn shopping therapy this morning...found a super yummy buttermilk colored wool for a diaper wrap.

Hey ladies....congrats on making it to page 2 of our thread!!

Oh and Lesley, I was thinking.....the bear hat/monkey hat that we talked about is really only a combination of knitting, purling, increasing and decreasing (plus some ribbing).....seems like it might be a great next project for you?????

R
#26 of 2034 Old 08-12-2005, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Don't worry Robyn! Things will get get better!

#27 of 2034 Old 08-13-2005, 12:03 AM

the damn evil sweater is almost finished :yawning: just....can't.....stay.....up....... must .....sleep..............
#28 of 2034 Old 08-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Banned

Xian, I understand completely. I haven't gone to bed before 12:30am since I started knitting!

I have mastered ribbing, worked on the seed stitch, and last night was working on the Heart practice pattern in the book from Alison, I was doing quite well until it slipped off, unravelled a bit and I was too tired to save it. Thankfully I was only 3 rows into the heart shape! I think I will work in increasing and decreasing today, I have a pattern for a bathmitt that calls for a lot of each and I want to be able to make a few for xmas presents.

Oh, and I know now why the S'nB lady recomends a small bottle of handcream in you knitting "toolbox", my hands are so dry they hurt!

Oh, she also mentions a row counter...does anyone use one of these little items and are they very useful? Just wondering before I go out and buy one.
#29 of 2034 Old 08-13-2005, 01:17 PM

I keep track of my rows on a post-it-note stuck to whatever pattern I'm using.....but that's just me.

ETHICAL QUESTION......

At what point does a pattern become your own? For example....I often work, re-work, and re-work a pattern again until I get it the way I like it. These diaper wraps are a perfect example. So at what point does it stop being someone elses pattern, and become "mine"???

I've often thought about this in the wee hours of the night.

#30 of 2034 Old 08-13-2005, 02:28 PM

Robyn, they have just been discussing this over on the wool soaker yahoo group. There was an article in knitty written by a lawyer regarding this issue. i think that the consensus was that no matter how much you rework a pattern, you need to start from scratch with paper and pencil to call a pattern your own. Try this article and see if it helps. Also, you could check out wool_soaker_group at yahoogroups.com and sign up to read their archive--someone brings up the issue of copyright there every so often, and there's been some great information come through.

Here's the knitty article:

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall03/FEATcopyright.html

Alison

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page