Vancouver(ish) Tribe: Chatting in deep summer... - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 335 Old 08-14-2008, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellp View Post
Price wise though I have a sinking feeling that store bought would've been a tad cheaper with a heck of a lot less work.
But you can feel pride, and, you are entitled to feel proud and brag that you made 'em!!! :

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#242 of 335 Old 08-14-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Mama View Post
Mamas, can you suggest the best route to take for a childès vision testÉ
Ds1 is squinting and closing one eye to look at things, and has a hard time reading small print. So, me thinks an eye exam is in order!

Do you go to the GP for this or to an optometrist ala the closest mall or...É (Sorry my computer is playing tricks again with question marks and apostrophies morphing into other symbols. )

I think each family member is entitled to one free eye exam...
Get a referral to Dr. Ross Kennedy. He has offices in Surrey and Vancouver and is excellent with kids...which he should be since he's a pediatric opthamologist. He books months in advance but call every week to check for cancellations.
#243 of 335 Old 08-15-2008, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
: join us at the beach friday morning! :

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#244 of 335 Old 08-15-2008, 12:21 AM

I just had my exam, plus a contact lens fitting. Our extended health covers the eye exam once per year, not sure about the fitting.

Our extended health also covers up to $200 for glasses every two years. Of course, this is just a drop in the bucket of what glasses cost, but it helps.

I couldn't afford to get new frames, as the lenses alone for my glasses cost $350!

Erin, mommy to ds April 2004 and dd : February 2007
#245 of 335 Old 08-15-2008, 12:24 AM

We are heading out tomorrow morning for 10 days in Maine and I'm feeling blue. I REALLY DISLIKE leaving town in August - the best time of year in Vancouver! Plus I think it's been raining like crazy on the East Coast.... :

And my garden! Just when things are ripening!!! Aaaaagh!!!!!

Erin, mommy to ds April 2004 and dd : February 2007
#246 of 335 Old 08-15-2008, 02:29 AM

Ah, Elaine, about the canning - you can feel proud that your children will have fond memories of the canning if you keep it up. I certainly remember the many rows of lovely goodies downstairs and the hot and sticky kitchen too!

Erin, you must get some crazy lenses! My whole thing (frames and all) was just under $600. I've got a few things going on with my eyes, but I think that they are pretty easy to deal with in the lense department. I love Lynn Valley Optometry for frames! Some are pricey, but they are so pretty! And they have a decent selection of three-year-old resistant full metal frames too.

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#247 of 335 Old 08-15-2008, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widemouthedfrog View Post
Erin, you must get some crazy lenses! My whole thing (frames and all) was just under $600.
I was thinking the same thing. Mine were $350 including everything, but I just have basic near sightedness without the other stuff that complicates the lenses. I found lenscrafters to be super expensive so went to a smaller mom and pop type place and got a better price on the same lenses.

The extended health I used to have also covered 1 exam per year, plus $300 towards glasses.

Good on you for canning, Ellaine. I'm much too lazy (and hot in this weather!) to attempt that on my own.

I finally got around to getting DD a balance bike. Went to a few different places that were sold out of the Skuut as well as one made by Adams, and finally found a Norco one at Bikes on the Drive. It actually works out well because the seat comes down lower than the Skutt, which works well for DD's petitedness. DS can also use it on the lowest setting. It was a little boyish for her liking, but we added some streamers and a bell and she's happy as a clam.

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
#248 of 335 Old 08-15-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dido1 View Post
Eye exams are free for kids but they are $95 for adults now!!!!!!! For heavens sake.
It depends whether you go to an optometrist or opthalmologist. The latter is more expensive.

I'm very fond of On-Time Optical on Broadway for glasses. I think mine (with magnetic sunglass frames) came to about $2-300, though it is a fairly simple prescription. I don't let them upsell me on any fancy stuff and they're good about it. I do get anti-glare and scratch resistance, but anything beyond the basic is not something I want to waste my money on. And the lady who works there is AWESOME at helping you pick frames to suit you. The big chain stores are actually way way more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellp View Post
Does anyone know if eye exams are covered by extended medical?
They should be, but it depends on your plan.

Yeah, the homemade stuff is generally more expensive than storebought these days, unless you get a steal of a deal on the fruit or you grow your own.

The only reason I'm planning to make more carrot and green bean pickles is to have quick healthy snacks for DS that he can actually eat, with all his allergies. Though I might use rice vinegar this time, b/c the regular white vinegar, I think, is made from corn?

And yes, Autumnmama, it sounds like we did get married on that same unexpectedly stormy day! Funny thing was, I left our place in Mt. Pleasant in the late morning to go to Brentwood to get all hussied up. I don't recall any rain up to that point. And after my appointment, I called my inlaws, who are half-way between Brentwood and Lougheed malls, to tell them that I was on my way, and they mentioned something about rain, and I was totally mystified because it wasn't raining where I was. I saw some puddles on my way in to their house, but didn't realize it had absolutely poured until someone told me while I was getting dressed. One of our dear guests had taken the bus and got thoroughly drenched. Then, like you, it stopped raining just long enough for the ceremony and pictures. We had tents, but MIL had invited a few extra people, so some of the tables weren't quite all the way under... But it ended up being so cold as the evening wore on, that everyone ended up in MIL's kitchen. All 93 guests. Good thing it's a big kitchen.
Just think, if it had all gone swimmingly, it would be much more forgettable!

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#249 of 335 Old 08-15-2008, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I want to do some canning this year, but I'm going to have to watch very carefully for free or almost free fruit and tomatoes, because it doesn't seem cost effective. We are heading to Summerland for five days on monday, so maybe someone I know there has fruit trees they don't want to pick or something.

And speaking of weddings I've been married only 3 years, since I was 5 months pregnant with Cora :

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#250 of 335 Old 08-15-2008, 01:23 PM

Quick question...for mamas with 'older' girls...

Dd1 turns 4 next week (4? My goodness, tell me she is still a toddler?!)

And we're hmming and hawing about bday gifts. Need suggestions.

So far I've come up with dress up clothes or gymnastics lessons (and of course, I love to give books & markers)

We really don't need toys (well, who does?) and my dear mother bopught her a Dora-quad from Walmart (yep, push a button and it drives her across the lawn) which is of course amusing, but also-landfilling and not really my style!

(Speaking of dressup, dd2 is wearing a yellow fisherman's rain hat and calling it her Ballet Hat!)

Help!

Kate: fumbling through the best years with W, L, F & V...newest arrival coming Jan '11
#251 of 335 Old 08-15-2008, 02:11 PM

Hi, Kate!
Dd just turned three and we did dressups for her birthday. And a membership - to Maplewood Farm - from the grandparents.

For Christmas we are going to go for classes from grandparents and inlaws and things required for those classes. After a year in dance class, I think that she may get her first dance shoes. Christmas in our family is going to be stockings and a book for each of us. Dd's books come from garage sales.

If it is going to get cold where you are and you have enough space, maybe something exercise-y for indoors? I'm trying to find us a used mini trampoline for the basement for really, really rainy days.

#252 of 335 Old 08-15-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widemouthedfrog View Post
If it is going to get cold where you are and you have enough space, maybe something exercise-y for indoors? I'm trying to find us a used mini trampoline for the basement for really, really rainy days.
Our trampoline : is in the middle of our living room (along with our spinner and balance board)! The kids love the tramp will often hop onto it and jump their hearts out. We often haul it out to the backyard too. Well worth the $50 we spent at Fitness Town.

My girls, 3yrs and 6.5, are both really into their dollies. Doll clothes, doll prams, cradles, baby blankets and slings are all hot items in our house. I have had great luck at Value Viilage finding great baby dolls (of all skin tones), some with fabulous homemade doll clothes! My latest treasure was an old Gendron Doll pram that I picked up at the Pender Harbour dump. ($1 in the Share Shed!) Its the perfect size for my big girl to push - she looks utterly adorable strolling with it along Commercial Drive!
#253 of 335 Old 08-15-2008, 02:33 PM

babies are a hit here, too, but dd has enough of them. Not in her mind, but definitely in mine!

#254 of 335 Old 08-15-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouverlori View Post
The only reason I'm planning to make more carrot and green bean pickles is to have quick healthy snacks for DS that he can actually eat, with all his allergies. Though I might use rice vinegar this time, b/c the regular white vinegar, I think, is made from corn?
Two EE's farm market has snap top carrots in right now for but not organic I think... a lot of thier stuff is but I didn't check, I bought them for the dog. They are excellent carrots though. a 10lb box was $6.95 I think? They have 10 or 15lb boxes of beefsteak tomatoes for $6, great for sauces. Not organic for sure, okanagon though, so sorta local. I didn't check out what else they had but I often get cucumbers for pickling from them, dill, etc and what they have that they grow themselves IS organic and no more expensive than anything else that is not.

Sorry, a 25lb box was $10, I checked my receipt.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#255 of 335 Old 08-16-2008, 05:15 PM

Well, my in-laws caught their plane home this morning. I'm exhausted, and dh is on his second nap so far today. Fortunately, now that my MIL, FIL and both BILs have seen the "big" sights in Vancouver (a ferry ride, Grouse, Cap Suspension Bridge, etc.), we can scale things down next time they visit. I'm so not cut out for being on the go like that. Of course, it hasn't helped that I turned my ankle pretty badly on Wednesday at Van Dusen...or that I hate driving, and have had to do a lot of it this week.

I've been noticing more and more that dd is absolutely fascinated with all the little natural things. She can spend hours looking at snails or spiders or a spit bug, and is always the first to spot something new. Her latest thing is the underside of fern fronds, where the spores are located. I'm going to make a point of getting her out and about outside more than I already do, but I'm also wondering if anybody knows of any good books or local classes on this kind of thing? What kind of content do the programs at the Ecology Centre run? This is definitely dd's "thing" right now.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#256 of 335 Old 08-16-2008, 05:44 PM

Storm Bride, my DS's LOVED the Ecology Center classes, and if they were closer we'd be doing them now!!!

The content is varied, including some outside exploration,which my kids likes alot. Very affordable and you can participate with her or do your own walks outside etc.

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#257 of 335 Old 08-16-2008, 06:00 PM

Sounds good. I think I'll get her into one of them this fall.

On another topic, does anyone have any suggestions for where I could find a second-hand Ergo? I had on one loan for a long time, and am finding that I really miss it. DS2 is about 40 pounds, and he's getting a bit heavy for carrying around in my arms for any length of time. DH and I are still digging out from under financially, so I don't want to pay full price if I can avoid it.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#258 of 335 Old 08-16-2008, 07:46 PM

Lisa: you can try Craigslist, I've seen them there from time to time. The Babywearer.com also has them on their for sale or trade board, but I think you have to be a member there for 30 days and have a 30 or 50 post minimum before you can "see" the board. I'll keep an eye out for you there. Ergos generally run for about $50-80 there, used and depending on condition.

Canning: Well, I have 10-2C jars of pears steaming merrily away as I type! I'm getting the hang of this!:

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#259 of 335 Old 08-16-2008, 09:18 PM

I made raspberry and blueberry jam yesterday! It was good fun and easier than I thought.

Lisa, you should definitely sign up for the Eco Centre classes. Do all of them. There are one or two each month, each is a different subject. Your DD sounds alot like mine at that age (and she's still totally into the natural sciences) and she loved those classes. Mornings fill up faster than afternoons, so I would sign up soon.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#260 of 335 Old 08-16-2008, 10:54 PM

Thanks, Mariah. I'll look at their schedule. What I've found so far all seems to be summer programs. I see they have one on slugs - dd would think she'd died and gone to heaven. She loves slugs!

#261 of 335 Old 08-17-2008, 02:41 AM

Ahem. Our Eco Centre fall program schedule is coming out this week and I have left a sticky for our web person to put them on the web site. Aside from a bad typo in the brochure (just ignore that we're calling them the 2007 fall programs, ok? ) it is ready to go!

We love slugs too. In fact, we just got two movies that feature banana slugs. The slug program is for school groups. However, homeschool groups are welcome to get together and request a community program or a school program. School programs are longer and run at set times in the morning, Tu-Fri, and community programs are slightly shorter, cheaper, and run in the afternoon. So if you are a small homeschool group, community programs can be a better value.

I'm doing the preschool ones on bones (fall) and on mice and rats (winter). I sound a bit macabre, eh?

If finances are an issue, please contact me and we will work things out. I really do want our programs to be accessible.

There are also free weekend programs for families and free story times the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month at 11 am for 2-5 year olds. We are starting the fall with a Teddy Bears' Picnic on Sept 5th (story time and walk).

Now back to my role as a parent.

#262 of 335 Old 08-17-2008, 11:46 AM

such a gorgeous weekend so far! we spent a couple of days on bowen island with the folks at peace-it-together. my partner was a mentor there, and all the kids camp out in the beautiful grounds there, so we joined them. you would never have known that they come from such conflict, they got along beautifully and were so focused on producing their films and enjoying each other. it is such a great project. the mentors and techs were very sweet to us and lots of children showed up on the weekend to play, and come with us to the beach, we made lots of new friends. and we got to spend lots of time with tiffani + family : so that was lovely. i love when children just enjoy being outside together for hours and hours.

my little one was doing this chant 'i want to go home, i want to go home' when we first arrived, and again the next day, and i realised that it actually means 'i want to go home to bed' but it can be very tricky to make a nap happen when you're out! (she hasn't been napping consistently, so i guess i've missed the changing signs lately) i brought the wrap for that purpose, but i'm afraid neither of us wanted to try it in 34 degrees. i was in a state of terrible anxiety and stress before we left, trying to get ready for our trip, and i'm happy to say that two days of camping out and just swimming and eating and playing on beaches was the best remedy.

#263 of 335 Old 08-17-2008, 10:53 PM

hi elisa! it was fun to see you and your girls! What a gorgeous weekend!!

we took our cats over to their vacation home (while we're in NZ they'll be at the tunstall bay clubhouse caretaker's home, who is a total cat guy, which is great) just to meet the guy and see if they got along with the cat who already lives there, and they came out of their carrier, sniffed around a bit, hid under some bushes, explored a bit more...and then obviously got comfortable enough because they took off and we didn't see them again. I'm hoping it was because they were having a grand adventure, and not because they got lost... anyhoo, we left their food there and hopefully they'll make their way back to his house. we'd like to pick them up again and have them here until we leave, but he doesn't seem to have flea issues around his house, so maybe we'll just let them stay there. If they don't come back when we're around, we might not have a choice! I guess it's an island, so they can't get too lost, and there are no predators...

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#264 of 335 Old 08-18-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
such a gorgeous weekend so far! we spent a couple of days on bowen island with the folks at peace-it-together. my partner was a mentor there ...
Cool! I've long admired that camp.

#265 of 335 Old 08-18-2008, 03:44 AM

Speaking of eye tests, etc...I've been wanting to get new glasses for a while (mine have some nasty scratches), but have been debating ordering the 'Secrets of Regaining Your Eyesight Naturally' from Mercola.com.
In the last couple of weeks I finally ordered it (MP3), since it has a 1-year money back guarantee & is a heck of a lot cheaper than new glasses. I have only listened to the first 2 CDs so far, so no progress yet. It's all about relaxing the muscles around the eyes, moving & blinking - so far.
I guess I'll probably have to get some interim glasses anyway if my eyesight improves to the point where my current prescription is no good.
I'll try to remember to update if I notice any difference. Also, I hope to hear how we can help our kids with this as well. I did take them in last year, I think it was, for testing & they were both fine. :

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#266 of 335 Old 08-18-2008, 01:27 PM

i'd love to hear more about it, sea! it makes a lot of sense to me that eye muscles can be strengthened.

#267 of 335 Old 08-18-2008, 04:39 PM

if anyone is fond of deepak chopra, i'm enjoying his book 'perfect' weight'. it is a lovely condensation of ayurveda in relation to eating. i like having reminders about routine and habit around eating and sleeping, and attention to hunger and satiation...i also love to have the ayurvedic perspective on body type. my elder sister joined us yesterday, so my original family is all together, we stayed up late figuring out our body types -we are all completely different!

#268 of 335 Old 08-18-2008, 04:54 PM

Hi everyone! After readimg all the posts anout canning I'm delurking to offer up about a dozen small canning jars free to the first person willing to come and pick them up. PM me if you are interested otherwise I'll put them up on free cycle.
#269 of 335 Old 08-18-2008, 10:22 PM

#270 of 335 Old 08-18-2008, 11:04 PM

Rosemary, whereabouts is this mama? Is she in Vancouver, and if so, which part? I'm just trying to figure out travel logistics...

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page