warm winter Texax vacation with toddler? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-01-2008, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Hello! (ooops - realized my typo which i don't know how to fix...title should actually say Texas! That darn letter x so close to s....)

I thought this forum may be the place to ask for suggestions on relatively quieter places to holiday this winter (Jan or Feb) with our 22 mo old dd. She loves beaches, and so do mom and dad!

Any suggestions on places to visit, or places to stay that are on a beach? Recommendations on birding?

Thanks so much for any and all suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2008, 03:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There are lots of great bird-watching beaches near between Galveston and Corpus Christi. Anything along the coast to the north of Galveston was most likely damaged by ike in Sept. I'll have to digg around for specific places for you.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Old 12-01-2008, 03:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Galveston is nice, Surfside is nice (and quieter than Galveston...)

Either will have houses to rent. Galveston has hotels and condos and such.

Around Surfside there are TONS of birds. They do a big bird count every year- don't know when... but there are a couple of preserves around there.

-Angela
Old 12-01-2008, 03:46 AM

we just went down to galveston and surfside last weekend - it isn't really rebuilt after hurricane ike so finding lodging might be difficult surfside is in terrible condition and the road is washed out in many places.

south padre island and the rio grande valley have good birding and beautiful beaches.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
we just went down to galveston and surfside last weekend - it isn't really rebuilt after hurricane ike so finding lodging might be difficult surfside is in terrible condition and the road is washed out in many places.

south padre island and the rio grande valley have good birding and beautiful beaches.
Yeah, surfside is pretty beat up, but I bet it will be deserted this winter!

My parents' house isn't repaired yet... and blue water highway isn't repaired...

South Padre would be nice and was spared Ike.

-Angela
Old 12-01-2008, 12:14 PM

Yay! I live in the Rio Grande Valley- we do have several birding centers down here, as well as some really great nature preserves. I personally think that this time of year is the BEST to go to the beaches- weather's nice and crowds are thin.
South Padre Island saw it's share of damage with hurricane Dolly, but I know that they're 'open for business'-- restaurants are open, hotels- I think there may be a few hotels that are closed but- for a trip like the op was talking about, I wouldn't necessarily be staying on the island anyway. I'd look for someplace between all the attractions- Harlingen would be ideal- and that way, you wouldn't be too far from any of the parks, or SPI.

My oldest dd will be 3 in March- and she loves the birding centers.

Vojerleda :yawning, sahp to (03/06)dd1 and (11/08) dd2 , married & living on the border w/dh .
Old 12-01-2008, 03:07 PM

I would say South Padre as well; I think they've cleaned up *most* of the damage from Dolly and the debris left behind after Ike. Although I had a friend get married on S. Padre in the middle of October (Ike was mid-September) and her original beach-wedding spot was washed away. They chose another just down the beach and it went fine.

A lot of the birding spots around here were really messed up though, if not from the wind then from the storm surge. The salt water killed a lot of the trees and plants that the birds count on for food and shelter.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:31 PM

I ran across this cute little motel in Port Aransas the other day and have wanted to plan a short trip ever since. It might not be what you are looking for but I couldn't help to mention it:

http://www.alaughinghorselodge.com/

Birding is supposed to be great on Mustand Island:
http://www.portaransas.org/viewing_locations.html
Old 12-02-2008, 02:14 AM

Here in Rockport is great. We have several places to go birding. The beach is more child friendly as the waves don't get too big. Of course most people find it still too cold at that time of year. We are also within driving distance of both Port Aransas and Corpus Christi.

Comforts of Home Midwifery

Old 12-04-2008, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for all the tips! It really helps when you don't know a place at all to hear some local perspectives.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:04 AM

have fun on your trip dot1!

I'd forgotten about rockport. my mil has a house there. it's a nice place (the area, not my mil's house )
Old 12-06-2008, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm a native Texan, but I don't recommend most Texas beaches. If beaches are your goal, then you might be disappointed here. It's not that warm here in January (we hope).

Texas is fabulous in March, though -- really perfect weather most of the time.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasuremapper View Post
I'm a native Texan, but I don't recommend most Texas beaches. If beaches are your goal, then you might be disappointed here. It's not that warm here in January (we hope).
I think it's unfair to say she'd be disappointed. Granted, I hope she's not expecting Hawaii or anything, but if you go south of CC the beaches become clean and beautiful, IMO. There's sanddollars, crabbing, fishing, birding, kayaking, etc. I'm a native Texan too, and I've seen Pacific, Atlantic (from sides), Caribbean, Mediterranean, and the Red Sea and I think the Texas coast has a ton of unique qualities that the others lack. It may not be emerald green or sky blue, but it's ours. I've grown to love it.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Old 12-06-2008, 06:38 PM

and it's a helluvalot warmer than BC!
Old 12-07-2008, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
and it's a helluvalot warmer than BC!