TriCare and homebirth..what do you know? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-13-2008, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to find out if TriCare really will pay for homebirth. I've called tricare and they said with Standard, the mw has to licensed and then send in a request for authorization and then wait to be authorized and then yes, they will cover it. With Prime, you have to get a referral from your PCP.

But, I called a random local (I'm at Ft. Hood) midwife who says that a midwife in Corpus Christi got approved by Tricare, started accepting tricare clients, then a couple years later, tricare said "oops, our bad, you're not auth'd and now you owe us $42,000!". So now this other midwife isn't willing to deal with Tricare.

Does anyone know more about this? How do you REALLY have a homebirth covered by tricare?
#2 of 5 Old 12-13-2008, 11:16 AM

I actually know the midwife that she is referring too. She is my midwife and former preceptor. Yes, she and a few other midwives had somehow got into the system. When Tricare discovered the "mistake", they tried to make them pay it back. They didn't have to pay it back, because they had proof that Tricare knew that she was not a CNM when they paid her. That is their policy though, to only pay CNM's. So if you can find a CNM that will do a homebirth they will pay. There is a CPM in the Tyler area that is also an RN. I know that she was getting paid by Tricare because she had the RN as well. I don't know if she does still get paid by them though or if that is close enough to you. Her name is Sylyna Kennedy.

Comforts of Home Midwifery

#3 of 5 Old 12-13-2008, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm...such a bummer. Tricare insisted that *licensed* midwives were fine. I'm going to call again though.

And Tyler is almost 4 hours from me unfortunately.

Thanks for that info!
#4 of 5 Old 12-13-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbaby020805 View Post
Hmm...such a bummer. Tricare insisted that *licensed* midwives were fine. I'm going to call again though.

And Tyler is almost 4 hours from me unfortunately.

Thanks for that info!
Probably someone is not too up on the differences between the professional distinctions. Hmm...what county is Ft. Hood in? Try www.texasmidwives.com.
#5 of 5 Old 12-13-2008, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I checked the ATM midwives and found quite a few! Thanks for your time!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page