Can anyone tell me about Oklahoma City, OK? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-15-2008, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gen'l crunchy type stuff....w/o having to list (typing one-handed, eating an orange....) ooh, and the weather and political climate.
#2 of 9 Old 12-15-2008, 02:23 PM

OKC this time of year is cold; climate generally dry. As far as political climate...pretty conservative. You might have better luck with general "crunchiness" if you go south to Norman (home of Oklahoma University, the Sooners). Not sure how far that is, but it's not a long drive.

Sorry I don't have more specific information. Most of what I know I gleaned earliler this year while researching several cities where we thought DH might be transferred.
#3 of 9 Old 12-15-2008, 07:55 PM

I am SOOO far behind on chores right now, but here are some threads that can maybe kickstart some discussion

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=967514

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=972595

Weather, generally nice, less ice and snow than everyone else. Politics, deeply divided, generally conservative but hot spots of liberalism. Some health food stores, lots of coops, unschooling galore and lots of freedom in homeschooling and medical care.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#4 of 9 Old 12-15-2008, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I'll read the threads and see if I have any two-handed questions...
#5 of 9 Old 12-18-2008, 11:55 AM

Flat. That is pretty much that I can say about OKC... ROFL...

There is a really kewl art festival and the Myriad Gardens are really awesome, Farmers markets, and Flea markets...

Also.. 66 miles SE of OKc there is a small town called Seminole, and The Jasmine Moran Children's Museum is there. The CM has been used as a model for other city's CM because of how kewl it is.. Our family has a membership to it, and for 6 people and unlimited visits for a year it was $50.00...:
#6 of 9 Old 12-31-2008, 11:26 PM

If you are looking for crunchie mamas groups, edmond and norman are far more suitable. There are Akins groceries on the north side of the city and The Health Food Center on the south side. There are a lot of farmers markets, but this time of year most are puny IMO. LOTS of coops most I know of are to the north more toward guthrie.

Plenty of kids stuff if you're willing to drive a bit, once you've exhausted the city stuff. Lots of kid oriented plays in the city, at civic center or colleges. History museum in norman, pp mentioned moran. medieval fair in norman in april, art festival downtown in march or april I can't remember right now, well art festivals every few months some where around the city. minor league Baseball and hockey, NBA basketball...

Old saying - If you don't like the weather in oklahoma, wait five minutes. For the most part hot summers, cold winters, bad ice in january the last 5 years or so. mild falls and springs. tornados in the spring and sometimes other times of the year (don't move to moore ) Most don't hit the city, they do gravitate toward moore and el reno.

political - conservative christian.... lets put it this way we were the state with the least % of votes for obama what does that tell you?

If you are antivax - good luck finding a dr, Mercy has some that will tolerate, but the only true anti-vax dr left town a year ago.

If I think of anything else I will add it

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#7 of 9 Old 01-01-2009, 08:27 PM

Well, two days ago I was wearing shorts. So the weather is always crazy. You never know how it's going to be.

We have a peditrician up in Edmond that is cool with me not vaxing.

Ummm....politics? It's conservative around here.

The state is pushing breastfeeding. There's a lot of bf'ing commercials telling moms to bf anywhere and anytime.

There are pretty good midwives at OU hospital, just past downtown, by the state capitol building.

ummmm.....lots of gardeners around here so lots of farmer's markets. Lots of health food stores.

Can't think of anything else!
#8 of 9 Old 01-02-2009, 11:01 AM

N8'smom - who's you ped? Stephens?

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#9 of 9 Old 01-02-2009, 05:34 PM

Ped in Norman, Dr. Victor Wilson, is also fine w/ non-vax. Or that's what I've heard, anyway. I recently moved to Moore from Norman, and everyone there raves about him. I know he's very pro-breastfeeding.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page