Schools in Austin - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-27-2008, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are in Austin and want to look at a few schools. Can anyone recommend a good school..public or private?
Thanks.
#2 of 8 Old 12-28-2008, 10:51 PM

What age range? Do you prefer Christian or secular private schools?
#3 of 8 Old 12-29-2008, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

My children range from 2 to 9...prefer secular.
#4 of 8 Old 12-29-2008, 10:53 PM

I don't know much about public schools, but I've heard that the Austin Waldorf School is pretty good. If you have girls, there's also The Girls' School. Another really, really good one is KIPP Austin, but I'm not sure what the reqs are for that. It's a charter school in East Austin, and stands for Knowledge is Power Program. It was started by a couple of Rafe Esquith's students...he was on PBS a while back for teaching Shakespeare to 4th graders. Oh yeah, and there's also The Griffin School. I bet a few school ratings searches could help you decide. I taught music at a K-12 private Christian school, which is why I sort of have an idea about these schools. My husband was hired by and almost taught at KIPP --- he just had a much better offer with a tech co. He said "I would have cried" if I had seen their music students; they were that disciplined.

I've heard good things about Mariposa Montessori for your little one, but I'm afraid I'm not much more helpful than that.

Good luck to you! I know a lot is restricted by where you live and tuition. Hopefully this was somewhat helpful!
#5 of 8 Old 01-08-2009, 06:10 PM

Check out Jackie's School in S. Austin. They have a really unique program. They have gymnastics, swimming, karate, Spanish, sign language, and ballet as part of the curriculum for all grades. It is pre-k through 8th grade.

http://www.jackiesschool.com/
#6 of 8 Old 01-10-2009, 12:17 AM

jackie's is unique --- i also forgot to mention the khabele school. seem to have a really good program, too.
#7 of 8 Old 01-13-2009, 09:56 PM

Jackie's is unique, but not perfect. My daughters go there for after school gymnastics and my younger dd went there for mother's morning out. We've had an overall good experience there--the teachers we've encountered have all been pretty nice. One thing that bothers me, though, is the fact that I constantly hear teachers threatening to put kids in time out. It's like it's their only disciplinary tool. It just rubs me the wrong way.

Also, it's a Christian based curriculum. The school shares space with an Episcopal church. Not that that's necessarily bad, but important to know.

peace, Beth
#8 of 8 Old 01-14-2009, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Someone mentioned Zilker Elementary. Does anyone have experience with this school?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page