Some San Antonio questions, if you don't mind! :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-31-2008, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I grew up in the Midwest and have spent the past 2 years in Western Colorado. We're considering a move to San Antonio now and are wondering if you all might be able to answer some questions for us. I know I'm covering a lot, but anything you can contribute would be wonderful!!

1) What are the politics like? I'm quite liberal, though I'd say DH is pretty Libertarian. He's an avid hunter and gun owner, but we vote Democrat and aren't particularly religious (though not atheist or anything). We're used to living in very conservative areas but would like to find a place that is either more liberal or at least diverse in its political leanings. Is that how you would describe SA?

2) Are there lots of stay at home moms? A main reason for leaving W CO is to find better activities/opportunities for our kids (a 2 year old and one on the way). Free/cheap things are appreciated, but we like to do lots of things as a family on the weekends as well. How are the libraries, museums, etc. for families? I've found quite a few resources just thru Google, but are there many SAHMs in the area?

3) What's traffic like, especially during rush hour?

4) We like smaller towns. DH would work in in southeast SA, kind of near Brooks AFB. What small towns or subdivisions would you recommend for a young family? (Up to 30 minute drive) How small-town can you get while still being near the city?

5) What kind of outdoor activities are there? I know there's a great deal of private land available for hunting- what about public land? Camping? Hiking?

6) Weather- how bad is the humidity? We've lived in VERY humid IL and Western Colorado with NO humidity but VERY hot (over 90 every day in the summer). What's SA like? We technically live in the desert, but because it's such a dry heat it's bearable. DH works outside often and I don't want him to be sweltering most of the year if it's insanely hot (what we're used to) AND humid.

7) We'd rent for the first year we lived in SA. What's the rental market like? (We have a big dog and 2 cats and must must must live in a nice, safe neighborhood.) We're coming from an area w/ a major housing shortage so I'm hoping we don't have to deal with non-existent vacancies again.

8) What do you dislike the most about the area? What other cities/areas of the country do you like (or prefer) and why?
#2 of 5 Old 01-03-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
1) What are the politics like? I'm quite liberal, though I'd say DH is pretty Libertarian. He's an avid hunter and gun owner, but we vote Democrat and aren't particularly religious (though not atheist or anything). We're used to living in very conservative areas but would like to find a place that is either more liberal or at least diverse in its political leanings. Is that how you would describe SA?
We're not particularly political, so I can't answer.

Quote:
2) Are there lots of stay at home moms? A main reason for leaving W CO is to find better activities/opportunities for our kids (a 2 year old and one on the way). Free/cheap things are appreciated, but we like to do lots of things as a family on the weekends as well. How are the libraries, museums, etc. for families? I've found quite a few resources just thru Google, but are there many SAHMs in the area?
I don't really know that, either. I'm a SAHM but I kind of stick to myself (introverted extrovert) and don't go out much. : Plenty of museums and libraries. Put out a post here for SAHMs and I'm SURE you'll get replies. Lots of MDC'ers live here.

Quote:
3) What's traffic like, especially during rush hour?
Depends on where you live and where you're driving to. 1604 from 281 to Bandera is HORRIBLE, I-10 going out of the city is HORRIBLE in the mornings and coming in is HORRIBLE in the evenings. I live in the North Central area near UTSA, so my experience will be far different from yours, since you're looking to live closer to the South Side.

Quote:
4) We like smaller towns. DH would work in in southeast SA, kind of near Brooks AFB. What small towns or subdivisions would you recommend for a young family? (Up to 30 minute drive) How small-town can you get while still being near the city?
A friend of mine lives on the South Side. I'll ask her some names or direct her here. People claim there's a lot of crime there, but she lives in a quiet little area and I can't see there being more crime there than where I live.

Quote:
5) What kind of outdoor activities are there? I know there's a great deal of private land available for hunting- what about public land? Camping? Hiking?
We have lots of parks on the outskirts as well as bigger stuff an hour or 2 drive away. Enchanted Rock and Garner State are 2 parks an hour or more away. Nearby there's one w/ a German name I can't remember. It's near Raymond Russell Park, though, if you google it. Friedhoff? Not sure. Good for hiking, I'm told.

Quote:
6) Weather- how bad is the humidity? We've lived in VERY humid IL and Western Colorado with NO humidity but VERY hot (over 90 every day in the summer). What's SA like? We technically live in the desert, but because it's such a dry heat it's bearable. DH works outside often and I don't want him to be sweltering most of the year if it's insanely hot (what we're used to) AND humid.
I'm from CT. TX is insanely hot to me, but not exceptionally humid, usually, unless it rains a little bit but doesn't cool down. I don't do well w/ heat, but I do even worse in a cold, dark, grey place (CT is grey much of the year) so we're here. It's ok. Plenty of pools.

Quote:
7) We'd rent for the first year we lived in SA. What's the rental market like? (We have a big dog and 2 cats and must must must live in a nice, safe neighborhood.) We're coming from an area w/ a major housing shortage so I'm hoping we don't have to deal with non-existent vacancies again.
On my side, rent is ridiculous. But my friend on the South Side told me of a town home in her neighborhood that is a much bigger place than mine, plus a 2-car garage for $15. LESS. (We'd move except ds is in a very good school and we don't want to move him.)

Quote:
8) What do you dislike the most about the area?
Limited sidewalks. Not everything we want is in walking distance, but the things we NEED are. (Grocery store, namely, is 1 mi away, plenty of fast food, but I can't walk to the library or the park.)

Quote:
What other cities/areas of the country do you like (or prefer) and why?
Washington State is beautiful because it's so GREEN. West Virginia is the same way -- GREEN and beautiful. GA, too. SA has greenery, too, but not as intensely green and no pine trees.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#3 of 5 Old 01-03-2009, 03:03 AM

Central Texas is AWESOME!!! : I've lived in Texas pretty much my whole life and loooove to visit that area. In fact, almost all of our summer vacation were spent there! Garner SP, Comal river and Schlitterbaun (New Braunfels), Canyon Lake & Guadalupe river, Pedernales Falls...it's all within an hour or so driving from SA. It's a GREAT outdoors area to live in. Political climate is progressive- and SA has a very large (>50%) Mexican population so it's not your average American city. There's a GREAT bakery/24hr restaurant there called "Mi Tierra" with the BEST pecan pralines (and lots of other goodies) in the world. I live in Houston but would definitely move to central Texas given the chance!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#4 of 5 Old 01-03-2009, 03:06 AM

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f...s/san_antonio/

You could probably get a lot of use out of the yearly park pass, we do!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#5 of 5 Old 01-03-2009, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't live in SA but I do travel there from time to time and the area between Austin and SA, known as the "Hill Country" is one of my favorites.

I doubt you'll have difficulty finding affordable rental property in SA. Now with the pets, I have no idea. But there are rental available.
SA is HOT in August. And it can be miserable. When I was there 2 years ago, in Aug, it was over 110.
Traffic on the freeways can be backed up, like most major cities, but I don't recall the SA rush hour traffic being as bad as Austin's rush hour.

SAHM, I have no idea. I'm sure there are plenty of them and I know the population is quite diverse, so I'm sure you'll find pretty much any type of group you want. I do know they have plenty of LLL meetings and midwives there if you're interested. SA also has lots of "touristy" type things - the river walk, Fiesta Texas (amusement park), Sea World, etc.

http://sanantonio.parenthood.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...nio_Texas.html

If your dh hunts, there's lots of hunting and fishing in the counties surrounding SA, especially NW of there.

IMO, a GREAT place to buy a home would be in a little town west of SA called Boerne (pronounced like "Burn-ee"). The homes there are going to be a bit pricier than SA but it's a pretty little town, good schools, and about a 20 - 30 minute drive to SA.

http://www.visitboerne.org/

http://www.ci.boerne.tx.us/AboutBoer...1/Default.aspx

It's late. That's all I can think of at the moment but I think SA is a fine place. I have a friend who lives there and she says there is one part of town that can be pretty dangerous and rowdy. I want to say it's the SE or maybe the SW. I don't know but I'm sure like any city, it has it's rougher neighborhoods. You might want to check into that before you lease or buy.

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page