OBGYN/Hospital/CNM recomendations in North Dallas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-24-2009, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DH and I are expecting a surprise first baby in September! The upshot is that we are totally unprepared with a health care provider. Any help, recommendations, (or unrecomendations) will be super, super appreciated. I don't know anyone whose been pregnant in this century, and the doctor that my mom and aunts used has retired.

Anyone have a good experience with a hospital birth in the Frisco/Plano/Allen/Richardson area, and would be willing to recommend a hospital or birth professional?

I'm trying to learn everything about everything as fast as I possible can, but I don't think I know enough to be comfortable with a homebirth.

ETA: I've searched the forums, and seen some recommendations for midwives, who I will be calling.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#2 of 11 Old 01-24-2009, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had been seeing Jean at Inanna Birth Center in Denton, but switched at 31 weeks and am now seeing Lindsay Stephens at Women's Health Alliance at Big Baylor and could not be happier. I would definitely recommend her to anyone!! Although Baylor is not exactly in the town limits you provided, I'm driving from Keller to see her, so she's worth it!
#3 of 11 Old 01-24-2009, 12:28 PM

This was my doula: http://www.cherishbirth.com/ She was excellent. I didn't use the birth center where she is located, but I've heard good things: http://www.fcmcdallas.com/index.html I know they are not in your area, but they may be able to direct you to someone else who could help you. I love my OB/GYN, but I don't know if that is what you are looking for: http://www.womensassn.yourmd.com/ Both doctors in the practice are open to natural childbirth, but, of course, work at a hospital, so you have to expect that interventions are always right around the corner! Don't know if you are ok with that, but just wanted to let you know. I use Dr. Shimer. I have also heard Presbyterian Allen is an excellent hospital, but have no first hand knowledge of that: http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2008...as-first-baby/
#4 of 11 Old 01-26-2009, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your responses! I will call all of these places. I also found out that the only birth center in collin county is the one in allen.

Sierra, is your dr shimer the same one that has an office near craigs ranch? this is their website:

http://www.drshimer.com/home

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#5 of 11 Old 01-26-2009, 05:11 PM

No, this is a woman -- Dr. Tricia Shimer. The practice is located at Presbyterian Hospital Dallas at the Margot Perot Center. It used to have 3 doctors, and two have retired. Dr. Shimer actually took the place of the doctor I saw, Dr. Crockett. I've actually heard that Presby Allen is much more birth friendly than Presby Dallas, though. My doctor's group was very pro-natural birth, but, I ended up having an emergency C-section at 31 weeks, so I'll never know how "pro" natural they were! But, all the doctors in the group are excellent. I hope you find someone that meets your needs and gives you the birth you are looking for! That's why I linked my doula -- she offers natural birth classes (if that is what you are looking for) and does provide her services to hospital births. If she is unavailable, she has a whole list of other doulas who might be able to help and might even be closer to where you are living.
#6 of 11 Old 01-28-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH View Post
am now seeing Lindsay Stephens at Women's Health Alliance at Big Baylor and could not be happier. I would definitely recommend her to anyone!! Although Baylor is not exactly in the town limits you provided, I'm driving from Keller to see her, so she's worth it!
I have heard great things about Lindsay as well. Baylor Dallas is well known for natural births and being lower intervention, and I drove from Carrollton to see my OB with Women's Health Alliance. I love her and loved my Baylor experience!
#7 of 11 Old 01-28-2009, 02:02 PM

In my experience, Baylor Downtown is the best hospital for promoting normal birth. I have seen great births happen elsewhere, but BUMC supports it in a more instituational kind of way. Lindsay Stephens and all the folks are WHA are really good, I am almost always impressed.

If you would like to stay in the Richardson area, Richardson Regional is a great choice if you are working with Dr. Downey. He is very natural birth friendly and RR supports him well.

By the way, Dr. Shimer and Dr. Shimer who were mentioned previously were married and in the same practice together. They are divorced now and she went to the other practice. Confusing having two Shimers!

Feel free to PM if you have other questions about careproviders. There are lots of great midwives in your area.

Maria :, mom to 4 cuties with 1 sweet hubby
doula, childbirth educator and midwife wanne-be!
#8 of 11 Old 01-29-2009, 01:29 PM

There is also a birth center in Richardson now, though the name is escaping me at the moment. It is just off Coit/Beltline.
#9 of 11 Old 01-29-2009, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Was it Lover's Lane birth center?

#10 of 11 Old 01-29-2009, 05:57 PM

Lovers Lane is in Richardson, the main midwife is Dinah Warach and Pam Holland works out of there as well.

Maria :, mom to 4 cuties with 1 sweet hubby
doula, childbirth educator and midwife wanne-be!
#11 of 11 Old 02-18-2009, 05:45 PM

I go to Inanna Birth Center in Denton with Jean Sala and my sister goes to Lovers Lane Birth Center in Richardson with Dinah. We are both very pleased. I also might add that they both accept medicaid which is a real blessing in my case. I drive all the way from saginaw but its totally worth it

-T, Wife and Best Friend to R 3/2005; Mommie to E 8/2007; and G 3/2009

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page