Homeschooling Co-ops in Austin? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-04-2009, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are planning to move to Austin around September. I am currently homeschooling my older dd, and would love to find a co-op. She is 7 1/2, and I have a younger dd who is 4. My younger dd will attend preschool twice weekly, but will probably attend co-op with us.

Our house is South Central (78704), and I really don't want to drive far. Our homeschooling style is rather eclectic--a mix of traditional seat work and unschooling, so we would feel most comfortable in a similar group (not strictly unschooling nor school at home types). We lived in Austin many years, and moved to DFW to be near family, but are more happy in Austin. I really would appreciate any direction anybody can offer.
#2 of 5 Old 02-05-2009, 03:11 AM

there are several active co-ops going on. are you on the "austin area homeschooler"'s yahoo list? it would be a great place to get the info that you need. I do know that there is friday co-op in north central austin and a monday co-op in both cedar park and I think n/e austin. I am sure that there are others. austin is such a wonderful place to homeschool.

mom to four lively children. birth and postpartum doula. midwifery student. choosing to enjoy life. :
#3 of 5 Old 02-05-2009, 07:06 PM

Here's some various resources. The person I got it from was a Christian homeschooler, so it's weighted a bit that way, but there's secular groups here as well.

Austin Area Homeschoolers (www.main.org/aah/index.html): a website, social network and yahoo group for local homeschoolers

Home School Legal Defense Association (www.hslda.org): A nonprofit homeschooling advocacy organization

Christian Home Educators Association of Central Texas (www.cheact.org): Information on getting started, Texas law, some homeschool resources and answers to frequently asked questions.

Hays Community YMCA (www.austinymca.org): offers a homeschoolers P.E. program twice weekly

San Marcos Home ED Group (www.sanmarcos.net/homeed/): An informal group of San Marcos homeschoolers

Yahoo Groups (groups.yahoo.com/): Greater Austin Homeschools Activities, Junior Explorers field trip co-op, South of the River homeschoolers, Hays Area Christian Homeschoolers

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#4 of 5 Old 02-10-2009, 10:10 AM

That's funny - I just came on here to search the Austin area as we are also moving to the city, and I am also homeschooling a 7 (almost 8) year old dd, and I also have a 4 year old ds. So, thanks for the resources! It helps when looking for an area to live. My husband is from Texas, but I'm from Virginia and I am not really familiar with Austin, even though we've visited quite a few times.

Tara
#5 of 5 Old 02-16-2009, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas--I have joined the AAH list which is active and informative, and the Monday Co-op list. I still haven't found a super close co-op, however,the Monday Co-op will work for us if I can't find anything closer. I'm finding lots of groups, but just not co-ops. I do have good places to begin looking at least though!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page