church in Houston?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-01-2009, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Preferably west houston/katy/cypress area...
I love my church but I just don't feel like I fit in. Everyone is so conservative, and has such different views on issues like BFing and cosleeping and just natural parenting in general. I find that there is a whole culture consisting of christians who come from a very sheltered background and they just don't seem to question anything when it comes to childrearing. They CIO, formula feed, do basically what their parents did...because they were raised to do that, and not question what is actually BEST for their child. I need a church where I can relate to other young moms.
#2 of 9 Old 03-01-2009, 11:46 AM

We attend a church where everyone is really accepting of how anyone chooses to parent. Its about a half hour from Katy.... We have friends that drive our way 2-3 times a month to attend church out here. The church is Memorial Christian Church and the minister is Chris Stellhorn. Feel free to email with more questions or to get his phone or email!

Shannon, Daughter of the King, Wife to Christopher, Blessed Mom of 3 Boys. Homeschool, SAHM, and midwife. 

#3 of 9 Old 03-03-2009, 11:19 AM

I sent you a PM
#4 of 9 Old 03-04-2009, 05:56 PM

my sister lives in Houston and she goes to Lakewood. She loves it. I'm not sure what area it's in though. Joel Osteen is the pastor.
#5 of 9 Old 03-19-2009, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In Cypress is the Trinity Vineyard, http://www.trinityvineyard.cc/ . I know the people there, and while I don't know how "crunchy" they are (I certainly don't know everyone!), they are wonderful, inviting, and "real" people. A young church and very family-friendly.

In Katy is the Katy Vineyard, http://www.katyvineyard.org/ , where, again, I know the staff (both churches started from ours in Sugar Land). Love the pastor there and his family. I haven't been to their location but I know it's a great church.

Hope you find somewhere you can feel welcomed and loved!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#6 of 9 Old 03-20-2009, 07:32 PM

when we lived in Houston we went to Lakewood, I miss it so much!

SAHMhomeschool.gif: to LCjog.gif (6-08) GJsuperhero.gif (3-06) KDREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif (3-04) and a new little on one the way1sttri.gif: and :megan, henrie, and apple and wife to BD for 12years now!!
#7 of 9 Old 03-23-2009, 01:01 PM

We're in the area but can't really help specifically, I just sympathize! We're Catholic, and while I have met other crunchy Catholic mamas, in general I agree that most don't question the status quo. But I don't know that I've ever really been to a crunchy church in general, and having been pretty all over the place in my college years. I will say that there was one Episcopal church (in another town) where the pastor was totally open about the fact that his own family did AP. My dh actually thought he was borderline hippie, lol.
#8 of 9 Old 03-27-2009, 12:08 PM

We are about to move more central (we are way out now) and plan on attending Emmerson Unitarian. http://www.emersonhouston.org/index.html

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#9 of 9 Old 03-27-2009, 02:16 PM

I can't personally vouch for this church, but I do know some of its members and founders who share some AP practices.

http://www.ecclesiahouston.org/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page