isolated in Dallas? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-02-2009, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a SAHM of two, a 3 year old boy and 6 week old girl...I have lived in Dallas for almost 2 years and have somehow failed to make any connections...my husband works really long hours and I am starting to feel rather lonely.
I don't want to beg for friends but I feel that I would benefit so much from having other mamas to talk to and hang out with during the day or even in the evenings.
Not to make this sound like a personal ad, but I bf, cd, no-vax, I am ap minded, I enjoy yoga, knitting, playing with my kids, going for walks, being outdoors in general, occasional recreational beverages and just talking with other people.
I'm hoping there are others out there in this big ol' city that are feeling like they could use some friends as well.
#2 of 15 Old 03-02-2009, 11:35 AM

Hey Nourishma I grew up around here so I've got several friends that I've known for quite a while. My problem is I'm expecting our first and I have no ap friends. I'm tired of getting weird looks when people find out I plan to hb or cd. I'd love to get together and make some new friends that share similar parenting beliefs. I've heard good things about the AP groups around here but haven't looked into them myself. You can also check there. Feel free to PM me .

dreads.gif  ribbonyellow.gif Proud Army Wife to DH ribbonyellow.gif  mama to one busy boy blahblah.gif and his dog2.gif  
#3 of 15 Old 03-02-2009, 07:57 PM

Not in the dallas area, but wanted to suggest www.meetup.com a quick search of the Dallas area found this group. I am sure there are others, or you could start your own. You may be surprised to find how many other moms are in the same boat.
#4 of 15 Old 03-02-2009, 10:18 PM

I recently moved away from Fort Worth, but wanted to add another suggestion. We have met most of our closest AP friends at La Leche League meetings. Good luck!
#5 of 15 Old 03-02-2009, 11:36 PM
Banned

Where are you? I moved here when DD was 6 months and she is almost 4. I have met a bunch of AP-ers, it just depends on where you live.

Check out the yahoo groups, APDallasMoms and NorthDallasAPI, especially if you are in the Plano, Allen, Richardson, etc area. If you live in the Southlake, Coppell, Grapevine area, there are several moms in that area that get together once in a while. Post a thread titled, 'Southlake mamas' and I'm sure some will come out soon.

If you are into babywearing (or CD's), check out Peppermint.com. They have a store in Richardson and periodic events to learn (and meet people!).

Anyway, LMK where you are (I am in the Plano, Allen, Richardson area) and I can cater my response to you a little more.
#6 of 15 Old 03-19-2009, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

I am currently living in the oakcliff area but would drive a couple time a week to get together with other mamas...
thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.
#7 of 15 Old 03-20-2009, 02:54 PM

we love playdates! just pm me and we could meet up! I have a 3.5 a 2 year old and expecting #3
#8 of 15 Old 04-02-2009, 02:08 PM

Nourishma, I just joined today and saw your post. I live in N Oak Cliff. I've been in Dallas all of my life, but none of my friends have kids so I'm kind of in a weird place, too. I do work but I'm always up for connecting with other Mommies. I have a 6 mo old boy, so not the right age for playdates, unfortunately. PM me if you like ... maybe we could meet for coffee at Cafe Brazil some Saturday AM.
#9 of 15 Old 04-02-2009, 05:08 PM

I'm in the White Rock Lake area; my DD is 10 months; I have no AP-minded friend either. PM if you'd like!
#10 of 15 Old 04-03-2009, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
s: I've lived in dallas my whole life too, but none of my friends are married.

It's good to hear that there are things that you can do around here with kiddo's!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#11 of 15 Old 04-06-2009, 11:16 AM

There's a whole list of natural-minded groups at North Texas Natural Family's Attachment Parenting page.
#12 of 15 Old 04-07-2009, 12:53 PM

There is a very active DFW Area Moms board which has regular knitting Mom's Night In and other Mom's Night Out type events and playdates. It is not specifically AP, but there are many AP moms on it.
#13 of 15 Old 08-29-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nourishma View Post

I am a SAHM of two, a 3 year old boy and 6 week old girl...I have lived in Dallas for almost 2 years and have somehow failed to make any connections...my husband works really long hours and I am starting to feel rather lonely.
I don't want to beg for friends but I feel that I would benefit so much from having other mamas to talk to and hang out with during the day or even in the evenings.
Not to make this sound like a personal ad, but I bf, cd, no-vax, I am ap minded, I enjoy yoga, knitting, playing with my kids, going for walks, being outdoors in general, occasional recreational beverages and just talking with other people.
I'm hoping there are others out there in this big ol' city that are feeling like they could use some friends as well.

Are you me?! I'm a mother of a newborn, returning to the workforce unfortunately in a few weeks despite previous plans to WAHM due to financial needs. DH works long hours, we moved to Dallas in 2011 and haven't been able to make any friends. I bf, am using disposables while waiting for a big order of cds to come in the mail, delayed vax (until 2 years, then selectively), also AP-minded, into holistic medicine, crafty, dreadlocked young hippie mom type. We love hiking/camping/outdoorsy stuff and I love being around kids and am also a total bookworm. DH is a huge Deadhead and is rubbing off on me, too :P

Anyway, years later, if you'd like to hang out some time or anyone else in Dallas likes the sound of me :P  Feel free to respond or drop me a PM.

#14 of 15 Old 09-07-2012, 11:35 AM

If you are on Facebook, there is a DFW Crunchy Moms group and DFW Holistic Families Group.  The crunchy moms group does meetups. 

Comforts of Home Midwifery

#15 of 15 Old 11-16-2012, 09:55 AM

Hi Nourishma!

I am a FT-working mother of one 5 year old boy. We're in Oak Cliff pretty regularly if you want to PM me sometime! Best, Autumn M

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page