Houston Birth Centers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-23-2009, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any of them do VBACs?

kati , wife to josh , mama to j&d (7.31.07) marion (9.18.08), feeder of nanuq and gracie lou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 03-23-2009, 06:04 PM

None of the birth centers do VBACs simply because of the political atmosphere in our area. There are several home birth midwives that will do a VBAC. How many previous C-Sections have you had?

Shannon, Daughter of the King, Wife to Christopher, Blessed Mom of 3 Boys. Homeschool, SAHM, and midwife. 

#3 of 11 Old 03-23-2009, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Just one - and I'm not even planning on being pg again for a while - just trying to consider all my options. My OB will actually oversee my next pg (if I want him to) then transfer me to Dr Dryden for a VBAC if they consider me to be "a good candidate."

kati , wife to josh , mama to j&d (7.31.07) marion (9.18.08), feeder of nanuq and gracie lou
#4 of 11 Old 03-23-2009, 06:10 PM

Almost all home birth midwives will take a VBAC if it was only one c-sec depending on the reason you had it. If you have a successful VBAC, then some birth centers will take you then. Hope that helps.

Shannon, Daughter of the King, Wife to Christopher, Blessed Mom of 3 Boys. Homeschool, SAHM, and midwife. 

#5 of 11 Old 03-23-2009, 06:15 PM

I don't know of any birthcenters that do VBAC, but just wanted to say that I am excited to hear that you see more babies in your future. I also think it is important to build a relationship with the provider you choose. If you think that you may want to VBAC choose a doctor that will support you from the beginning. It is such an emotional journey you need that support from the start.
#6 of 11 Old 03-23-2009, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Stinks that our BCs can't do VBACs, but this is not the case for other areas (Austin/SA). From what I understand, your best bet for a successful VBAC is HB.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#7 of 11 Old 03-23-2009, 10:34 PM

Things may have changed, but I've talked with my mw about this before and at the time she said they would do it if it was a 2nd VBAC, just not a 1st. Bernadette Olivier at Rite of Passage in Pearland.
#8 of 11 Old 03-23-2009, 10:36 PM

Yes, that is Bernadette's policy. If you have one successful VBAC, then she will take you for a second VBAC at her center.

#9 of 11 Old 03-24-2009, 11:35 AM

A great resource for you is ICAN. There is a lively group here in Houston. I recommend that you join.

You are headed in the right direction by planning your vbac even before you are pg. That is great! In fact, there are several mothers over on ICAN that are doing the same thing, as we speak.
#10 of 11 Old 03-25-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nannysbaby View Post
A great resource for you is ICAN. There is a lively group here in Houston. I recommend that you join.

You are headed in the right direction by planning your vbac even before you are pg. That is great! In fact, there are several mothers over on ICAN that are doing the same thing, as we speak.
I'm one of them :

We aren't planning on TTC for baby #2 until around Summer 2010. But I am currently interviewing providers (both MW's and OB's) that do hospital VBACs because I'm personally not comfortable with home births (Though I do hear WONDERFUL comments all the time about successful VBACs at home births)!!! I've learned from others that finding the right provider can be a long and difficult process sometimes, so I'm starting early.

Look up our local chapter at ICAN's website if you're interested in joining. So far, I found so much support and a wealth of resourceful knowledge from the other members!

Mommy to Heidi, born via c/s 08/2008 and to baby #2 due 11/2010.
#11 of 11 Old 03-28-2009, 01:33 AM

I just wanted to say hi and I'm happy you are thinking of more babies!

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page