Chicken Pox in Texas - houston, dallas, austin, san antonio - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-02-2009, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I find the part about babies under one getting their mothers immunity interesting in light of the fact that the current generation of children are all being vaccinated by a vaccine extremely effective. What is going to happen when they have children?

We are on day 4 here and starting to crust over. Not completely crusted over yet but defiantly on the way.

Fun loving crunchy mommy to an amazing outgoing adventurous boy named Logan Cloud 2/2/07 and our little ball of energy Jayden Edge 11/28/10 and wife to Jet 7/3/05 expecting our third 09/21/14

}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2009, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, the countdown is on... A couple of weeks and we'll see if our playdate was effective!

Either way, thanks for having us over, cagirl! We had a ton of fun.

gossamer, if the boys get it, you and Adam will need to come play!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:27 AM

the waiting is killing me, I just want to know already and it's only day 2.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Keep us posted! I sure hope all the kids get it. There are a few moms on the yahoo group who missed this round and really want to catch the next wave.

Fun loving crunchy mommy to an amazing outgoing adventurous boy named Logan Cloud 2/2/07 and our little ball of energy Jayden Edge 11/28/10 and wife to Jet 7/3/05 expecting our third 09/21/14

}
Old 05-11-2009, 12:33 PM

My sister whose baby is due Friday, May 15 really does NOT want me to expose my kiddos right now. I'm hoping you girls will keep it going and we can get it in July or something.

I have a friend with 4 kids who is also interested. She's in SW Houston, but she rarely gets online, so I'll try to keep her informed.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:27 AM

Day 11/12 here and so far nothing, still hoping.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
Well, the countdown is on... A couple of weeks and we'll see if our playdate was effective!

Either way, thanks for having us over, cagirl! We had a ton of fun.

gossamer, if the boys get it, you and Adam will need to come play!
Anything yet?

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
Old 05-12-2009, 09:07 PM

Nothing yet on day 10. I'm not holding my breath, though. Turns out Iain's school lets out a week earlier than I thought - next week! So I'm hoping he'll be able to attend the festivities. If we don't get it and it's around, I'm thinking the beginning of July will be perfect for us. :

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

My friends daughter Zuzu has spots. :: I am so excited we were able to share. They are just raised bumps right now.

}
Old 05-13-2009, 06:18 AM

Yay! What day is this for her?

Old 05-13-2009, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

I think it would of been day 12 that she broke out. She came over the same day as Lydia.

Lydia - any signs of fever or unwellness? I really think your two will come down with it too. They had a pretty decent exposure to. Zuzu was the little girl that came over when you guys were there.

}
Old 05-13-2009, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

For anyone still looking Zuzu's mommy will be hosting a chicken pox party. If you are interested please join the yahoo group for more infor. It will be held the next couple days.

::: Chicken pox are back in Houston for round 2!!

}
Old 05-13-2009, 08:27 PM

Ds came into our bed last night and felt warm to me, other than that nothing. they are both playing like normal and I am ignoring the spots. Of course I feel itchy for some reason.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:46 PM

Judah maybe feels a little warm, and seems extra tired, tho that could always be something else. Big boys seem fine. No spots yet beyond skeeter bites.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:13 PM

Okay, he has a fever of just over 101, but is in relatively good spirits. No spots at all. The big boys show no signs of fever or spots at this point. They were exposed on the 2nd, so it's around day 13 now. I do have a friend whose kiddos had a fever last night, so without spots it's just impossible to know!

Old 05-15-2009, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

So are we hoping for no chicken pox this round? A fever is how logan started. IT lasted for a few days before the spots made there appearance. He was pretty cranky too. The crankiest right before he broke out.

}
Old 05-15-2009, 08:10 PM

We are full blown at this point. Ds has a pretty severe case, in his mouth, around his eyes and on his nether regions (these seem to bother him the most). The worst thing has been the fever at night. I don't feel comfortable giving them anything for it so we kind of suffer through and it is hard for them to sleep. The Rhus Tox and lavendar oil seem to help, also oatmeal baths and some herbal ointment I have. Tomorrow will probably be the worst day because they are starting to pop and scab over. For the most part they are just hanging out, watching too much TV and eating popsicles and complaining now and then.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagirlintexas View Post
So are we hoping for no chicken pox this round? A fever is how logan started. IT lasted for a few days before the spots made there appearance. He was pretty cranky too. The crankiest right before he broke out.
Well, it is what it is. I'm hoping Iain will be ok, but he's not showing symptoms. At this point, I'm guessing Judah has got it and the other boys don't. Judah is still in primarily good spirits with that 101+ fever. No spots. Probably unrelated, but he's having more and looser BMs than usual (but he's been fighting constipation for a while so it's something of a relief!).

Is there a good list of things to have on hand? I was in Whole Foods earlier and tempted to look around, but didn't have time today.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:55 PM

Sometimes the local WF carries sodium ascorbate, if you had to, emergen-c would work as well but to get dosing high enough for my kids would break the bank. You may consider a vitA supp as well, I've wondered if rash illnesses in general use up a lot of vitamin A and measles is just the most extreme of the lot. I don't think vitamin A would hurt, in a pinch I've just used the Carlson's vitamin A (from fish) capsules, I've seen a variety of doses, as low as 10,000 IU per capsule up to 25,000 IU. I'm willing to dose (very) high for short periods of time.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:27 PM

We've been using the homeopath Rhus Tox every 3 hours, it seems to help. Along with extra Vit. C. Also lavendar essential oil mixed with Vit.E oil is good for itching and healing (apply on spots)

But I think the best thing is distraction, get some fun projects to keep them busy. Mine really don't complain until the evenings when it is time to be quiet and go to bed.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:50 AM

i just posted my own thread, then i saw this one... i'll be in houston next weekend, and probably for a few days after, and i want tristan to get chicken pox.... i'll actually probably be in san antonio for a day too.... anybody want to have us over to play?

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
Old 05-16-2009, 07:29 PM

Hey, Ashley!

Well Judah's fever broke last night and we have no signs of pox. So maybe it was unrelated? We'll keep waiting...

Old 05-18-2009, 12:04 PM

Oh Booo!!!!!!! I wish Judah or one of your three would get them. Are they contagious pre-pox stage? Or only once the pox have appeared?

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
Old 05-18-2009, 12:05 PM

txgal, where do you live, I mean what part of town, Sugar land, katy, heights etc....

Old 05-18-2009, 12:27 PM

dang it, why cant i pre order chicken pox for our trip?

i was wondering when theyre contagious too. i stay with my little sister whe im i town, and shes pregnant. im thinking i'll have to go stay at a hotel if i manage to find someone right? or would i not have to worry about until he was already sick?

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
Old 05-18-2009, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer View Post
Oh Booo!!!!!!! I wish Judah or one of your three would get them. Are they contagious pre-pox stage? Or only once the pox have appeared?
They are actually most contagious before the spots apear and the 3 days after the spots appear.

}
Old 05-18-2009, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyhaugh View Post
dang it, why cant i pre order chicken pox for our trip?

i was wondering when theyre contagious too. i stay with my little sister whe im i town, and shes pregnant. im thinking i'll have to go stay at a hotel if i manage to find someone right? or would i not have to worry about until he was already sick?

Its typically not a concern unless they have not had chicken pox. If she is not sure I would defiantly have her get a titer run. Personally I think its important for everyone to know if they have immunity to chicken pox. If she has had it its not big deal for her to be exposed to it. Being exposed to chicken pox is awesome for people who have already had it becuase it helps prevent them from getting shingles.
You are potentially contagious from day 10-21 but I have read some studies that if there is someone you really want to avoid you might want to do day 9-21.
Some kids show symptoms before the rash. My son ran a 103 fever and was horriably sick right before he broke out but others do not so its really difficult to know. We kept Logan away from most kids from day 10 till when he broke out because he got a really good exposure and I knew he was going to break out.

}
Old 05-19-2009, 02:15 AM

We are in Clearlake, and I think we are about done. Pretty much scabbed over now except for a few stubborn ones. I estimate that G had close to 800 spots, K only about 100-200. I bet G had 100 just on his head. They were both troopers and we only had one really rough night. Glad to be done.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:48 AM

Update on us... Judah (19m) had a fever for roughly 24 hours, but no spots, and it's been a couple days with no other symptoms.

After Judah's fever cleared, Iain (4) came down with a fever. He was pretty tired out for a while, but generally said he felt fine. No other symptoms. His fever broke yesterday evening, and no spots.

Tonight, Gabriel (7) told me he had something on his back that was bothering him. He has at least three little spots on his back that would make me think of some small biting insect - smaller than mosquito bites. Another few around including on his neck and one on his eyelid. He said it itched on his back and he had scratched one open.

So now I'm wondering, is he coming down with CP?! No obvious fever, nothing except a bit of a bad mood today. If he DOES break out, that may lend credence to the idea that the other boys had fever due to the CP exposure. I'll have their titers drawn just to make sure, and decide how much limiting of exposure I need to do. (Apparently overexposure or prolonged exposure can cause more intense cases.)

It may turn out that it's just some kind of bug bites... But both my DH and I agreed that G would be an obvious one for a stronger reaction. He was "only" nursed for 15 months, and had more vaxes than the others, being our first-born guinea pig! He's just been through more, altogether.

Anyhow, will keep posted!

Lydia, glad yours are doing better!!

Old 05-19-2009, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgal View Post
We are in Clearlake, and I think we are about done. Pretty much scabbed over now except for a few stubborn ones. I estimate that G had close to 800 spots, K only about 100-200. I bet G had 100 just on his head. They were both troopers and we only had one really rough night. Glad to be done.

Glad to hear they are doing better!!

}

User Tag List