Might be moving to Houston - birth centers? Insurance? Jobs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-04-2009, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I live in Dallas now but due to a stupidly screwed up situation I may have to move in order to have a place to live. A friend in San Francisco has offered her home to me, as well as a friend in Houston. While SF is more appealing city-wise, I'm looking more to Houston because of the proximity to Dallas (and the tons of things that relate to that which I don't feel like going into). Here are my questions:

What is the job market like? Anyone know if it's better or worse than Dallas? I'll take anything at this point, I'm even applying to fast food in Dallas to try and get back on my feet.

What about birth centers? Unless I get my own place by then, homebirth will not likely be an option. Nor is a hospital unless it's a last resort medically (I'd rather UC unless I have medical reasons to go to a hospital).

Also, I plan to get on medicaid (I'm not far along and just haven't bothered to take the time to see my mw yet since we long since established our relationship with my first pg/birth). Do any midwives take medicaid? I suppose if worse came to worse I could see if a friend in Dallas will put me up around 39 weeks (my son, and other babes in my family tend to be born at 41+ weeks) and birth with my mw here, but I can already see the issues with that.

Anyways, any help would be great!!!

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 04-04-2009, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
North Houston Birth Center accepts Medicaid. I don't think any of the others do.

http://home.earthlink.net/~kathyvg/

Mama to two beautiful sons Wife to DH
#3 of 7 Old 04-04-2009, 09:54 PM

I am pretty sure Carol Schumacher(Sp?) does as well, she does homebirths.
#4 of 7 Old 04-05-2009, 12:41 AM

Bernadette Olivier does as well at Rite of Passage. I delievered there last year and she was amazing. I work as a doula and birth assistant at North Houston Birth Center and Kathleen VandeGiessen takes Medicaid as well.

Shannon, Daughter of the King, Wife to Christopher, Blessed Mom of 3 Boys. Homeschool, SAHM, and midwife. 

#5 of 7 Old 04-06-2009, 08:22 PM
PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrlittle View Post
North Houston Birth Center accepts Medicaid. I don't think any of the others do.

http://home.earthlink.net/~kathyvg/
I loved Kathy at the N.Houston Birth Center. She accepts Medicaid, but I had to switch which Medicaid program I was enrolled in. It was a matter of a phone call to switch from Amerigroup to Community Choice. She was great, and very hands-off which is exactly what I wanted!
#6 of 7 Old 04-07-2009, 11:11 AM

Yes, Kathy is very hands-off.... I agree with that.

Shannon, Daughter of the King, Wife to Christopher, Blessed Mom of 3 Boys. Homeschool, SAHM, and midwife. 

#7 of 7 Old 04-07-2009, 02:25 PM

As a response to your question about the job market, it is actually not that bad. It isnt great but we have not been hit by the current crisis as much as other places have. We have many places that are still hiring and our economy isnt as bad off as other cities.

It might be helpful to know what you are looking for in a job though.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page