Where to Buy Plus Size Maternity Clothes in Houston - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-27-2009, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if any of you moms in Houston know of any places besides Motherhood Maternity to buy plus size maternity clothes. I just found out we are expecting again, and I have not lost all the weight from my 15 month old. Even online resources would be a blessing! Thanks for any help!

Shannon, Daughter of the King, Wife to Christopher, Blessed Mom of 3 Boys. Homeschool, SAHM, and midwife. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-27-2009, 11:21 PM

target? most department stores have some, thrift stores? what sizes are you looking for?

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#3 of 8 Old 06-27-2009, 11:29 PM

jcpenney - they don't have much in store, but you can order from the whole range of sizes (petite to plus) online and have shipped to the store for free or your house

congratulations!
#4 of 8 Old 06-28-2009, 03:52 PM

Old Navy has some, but they are online only.
#5 of 8 Old 06-30-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almadianna View Post
target? most department stores have some, thrift stores? what sizes are you looking for?
I found Target to be OK, but only if I was about 6" taller Since that doesn't happen with pregnancy, I couldn't use any of their stuff. I did purchase JC Penny with my first pregnancy and they fit ok though they weren't very stylish at the time.

Now: Mama of 2! Worker Bee happily married to my DH, motorcycle riding mama to H 8/99 and K 8/09.
#6 of 8 Old 07-02-2009, 03:32 PM

I'm not from Houston, but I am plus sized. To be blunt, I found jack squat in retails stores. I bought a lot of my stuff online or made it myself. Target's not going to fit you if you're above a size 16/18. Motherhood Maternity's in-store selection is ridiculously small and expensive, though you can sometimes find bargains when they're having a sale. I did buy underwear from them online (they didn't have it in stock at the store, but now they do) and a really cute swimsuit for less than $30. I will shout praises to JC Penny's online maternity store from the rooftops! They have a decent selection up to a 3X and not nearly as expensive as other places. I got three pairs of comfy pants for work and a top for less than $100.

Don't know if they have them in Houston, but there's a consignment chain store called Kid to Kid that resells maternity clothes and they had a couple of plus size tops when I looked. I got a great top for $3! Call around to consignment stores in your area and see if they resell maternity clothes.

If you can sew and know how to adjust patterns a little to fit a plus size figure, or are willing to hire a seamstress, I saved tons of $$$ making my own maternity clothes. Patterns are woefully scarce, but most pattern companies have a few. My favorites came from Butterick, Kwik Sew (very cute nursing nightgown pattern), and Burda.

Also, try Craigslist. I saw lots of plus size maternity clothing offered for super cheap, but someone always beat me to them! It's worth a shot, though. Good luck!

Mommy to Nora Cecelia, born 8/15/09.
#7 of 8 Old 07-02-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hezzie View Post
I'm not from Houston, but I am plus sized. To be blunt, I found jack squat in retails stores. I bought a lot of my stuff online or made it myself. Target's not going to fit you if you're above a size 16/18.
Amen!

And Target might not fit even if you are a 16/18, their sizes are all over the place. So is Motherhood's for that matter, I've got tops from there ranging from L to 3x!! Old Navy's pants I like, but their shirts tend to be WAY low cut.

Depending on how big your belly gets, you might be able to get away with just regular clothes if the cut is right you might not even have to go up a size. Especially since long tops seem to be in style right now, I have several non-maternity empire waisted tops that work. I just bought another cotton one at Macy's yesterday (where of course almost everything is always on sale).
#8 of 8 Old 09-20-2013, 09:20 AM

Haute Mommies and Bella Babies in Clear Lake has a decent selection of plus sized maternity clothes (cute styles too.)  You can also shop the website at www.HMandBB.com.  Congratulations on your new addition and good luck!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page