Seeking Crunchy Pediatrician in Austin - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 07-31-2009, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all,

We just moved to Austin recently and are looking for a crunchy pediatrician. We are interested in someone who can discuss supplements and homeopathy. Also, positive views of extended breastfeeding and selective/delayed/no vaxing would be great.

We tried Dr. Kangos and it didn't work out.

Thanks!
#2 of 27 Old 08-01-2009, 11:27 AM

Yeah, Dr Kangos didn't work out for us either. So I'll be watching this thread too...

--"Mama Bear" : to DD 8/06
Tree-hugging :, queer-loving , liberal, feminist hippie mom! :
#3 of 27 Old 08-01-2009, 11:45 AM

She's north -- Christine Eady off 620 close to Round Rock Hospital.

She a DO. Very natural. Breastfeeding posters all over her office (as opposed to formula posters and samples.) Vaxing is never forced. They always ask me, "Are we doing vaxes today?" If I balk at it, say no, or say I want to discuss it with Dr Eady before I make a decision they're totally ok with that. I'm on the fence about vaxing, and I want her to just tell me what to do, but she won't.

She's a family doctor, so I see her as well as both of my girls. I'm no longer breastfeeding, but when I was it was so nice for me and my DD to be treated as one unit. For instance, when DD2 was 18 mos I was complaining to Dr Eady that I wasn't losing weight despite lots of exercise and watching what I eat. At the time I was about 30lbs heavier that I'd like to be. After and exam and some bloodwork she determined that breastfeeding my DD was more beneficial to her health than the extra weight was detrimental to mine. She said some women just can't lose weight while breastfeeding, and encouraged me to hang in there and lose weight after weaning.

Other people I've referred to Dr Eady have only complained about one of the girls at the front desk who they think is a bit rude. I've never had her treat me rudely, though.

ETA: Another friend I referred to Dr Eady found another doctor, actually. They wanted to circ their son and she wouldn't do it herself, nor would she recommend somewhere else to go for them to do it. HTH.
#4 of 27 Old 08-01-2009, 01:08 PM

We use Dr. Eady also. She's really nice and I see her also. We're selective/delaying vaxes and she seems okay with that.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#5 of 27 Old 08-02-2009, 08:13 PM

I had heard that Dr. Eady fired non-vaxing families. It sounds like maybe this isn't the case?
#6 of 27 Old 08-05-2009, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

We tried Dr. Eady. She's very nice and I think she might be a good fit for us, but time will tell. We didn't go in for a well visit so I forgot to ask about her feelings on vaxing. I will update later when it comes up.
#7 of 27 Old 08-07-2009, 12:33 AM

I actually just made an appt for DS with Dr. Eady for the 16th. I'll update on what I find out about her vax-stance.
#8 of 27 Old 08-11-2009, 08:57 PM

If you're South, Bee Caves Pediatrics is a good option and so is Schoolhouse Pediatrics. They are pro-breastfeeding and no-vax/alt-vax friendly.

Mommy to Nora Cecelia, born 8/15/09.
#9 of 27 Old 08-17-2009, 06:01 PM

We just got back from our appt with Dr. Eady. We LOVE her. She was very supportive of all our choices and was easy to talk to.

Also, her own sons are not circ'd so she is well versed on the care of foreskin.

:
#10 of 27 Old 08-18-2009, 12:05 PM

We go to Schoolhouse Pediatrics and have had only good experiences so far. I'm not crazy about the nurses there, but Dr Hutchens is lovely.
#11 of 27 Old 09-04-2009, 03:20 PM

I also really like Dr Eady (she's my Dr, DH's Dr, and my mom's Dr) but she is firing all of her non-vaxers. We already have a pedi that I LOVE, but I did consult with Dr Eady for a 2nd opinion on DD's health and if I were to ever switch it would be to her practice (we are selectively vaxing).

The Pedi we see (Dr Chang at Treehouse Pediatrics, down the street from Eady) is not particularly crunchy, but he is very good about educating himself and he takes my concerns seriously instead of brushing them off. He respects my role as the parent and works together with me on DD's health. Plus when we had a disagreement about ext BF he did some research over the weekend and called me the following Monday to apologize and tell me that I was right and they didn't teach much about BF in med school. Any Dr that would do that is good in my book, and he is all in favour of ext BF now!

Herbs and supplements not so much, unfortunately, but he is not against their use as complementary therapy.

~Mar
#12 of 27 Old 09-04-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_and_m View Post
I also really like Dr Eady (she's my Dr, DH's Dr, and my mom's Dr) but she is firing all of her non-vaxers.
Really? I was just there Wed with both my girls. My youngest is pretty far behind because I stopped all vaxes after a bad reaction to MMR. We discussed the pros and cons of getting further vaxes as well as which ones are most important, etc. She didn't mention anything about firing us if I refuse any further vaxes. Yikes!!
#13 of 27 Old 09-04-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprildawn View Post
Really? I was just there Wed with both my girls. My youngest is pretty far behind because I stopped all vaxes after a bad reaction to MMR. We discussed the pros and cons of getting further vaxes as well as which ones are most important, etc. She didn't mention anything about firing us if I refuse any further vaxes. Yikes!!
Yup, she'll let you "delay" until age 2. After that you're on your own though.
I don't know if she wants her patients to get the full gamut as rec'd by CDC, but I have several friends who took their LO's to her and got kicked out recently. I suspect there is something else going on as well because she was... different... around that same time. Not her usual compassionate self, so maybe it's an insurance thing? Not sure.

~Mar
#14 of 27 Old 09-04-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_and_m View Post
Yup, she'll let you "delay" until age 2. After that you're on your own though.
I don't know if she wants her patients to get the full gamut as rec'd by CDC, but I have several friends who took their LO's to her and got kicked out recently. I suspect there is something else going on as well because she was... different... around that same time. Not her usual compassionate self, so maybe it's an insurance thing? Not sure.

~Mar
Though I was pleased with how she approached my concerns, she did say in answer to one of my questions, "Right now is not a good time for me to answer that." By "right now" it seemed she meant "in the current circumstances" not "at this moment, 2:00pm on Wednesday." That would explain that for sure. What a bummer. Well, I was planning to do see how my youngest reacted to something like DTaP before trying anything else, and possibly skip MMR all together. I wonder if she'll let us.
#15 of 27 Old 10-09-2009, 05:27 PM

OP--did you find anyone? I'm interested because right now DD (8 mos.) sees a family practice doctor--Dr. Yoon Sin Kim--in Hutto at the S&W Clinic. The nurses are annoying but so far the Dr. has been very laid back as far as BFing and vacs go.

When she asked what DD was eating, I told her, "breastmilk. she doesn't like food." And she was fine with that.

When I told her, you know, FYI, DD is not current on her vacs, she was like, oh, okay, well we can worry about that when you're ready. Also seemed okay with a delayed/selective vac schedule when I pushed it.

But YMMV--I sort of state my decisions up front and make it obvious that some things are not up for negotiation. But I'm always on the lookout for a back-up pedi, JIC things don't work out with Dr. Kim....

I hope you found someone that will work for you.

#16 of 27 Old 10-10-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprildawn View Post
Though I was pleased with how she approached my concerns, she did say in answer to one of my questions, "Right now is not a good time for me to answer that." By "right now" it seemed she meant "in the current circumstances" not "at this moment, 2:00pm on Wednesday." That would explain that for sure. What a bummer. Well, I was planning to do see how my youngest reacted to something like DTaP before trying anything else, and possibly skip MMR all together. I wonder if she'll let us.

I'm one of the lucky ones she fired recently, and I agree with you - she had been acting very differently just before that. Pushing meds, sounding condescending, etc. I'm interested to know what it was - she saw my two children for over two years before that humiliating and upsetting appointment.
#17 of 27 Old 10-10-2009, 11:47 PM

The only doc we ever found in Austin that was "crunchy" enough for us was at Central Family Practice. Originally we saw Dr. Day (cried when he left) and then switched to Dr. Trester (at Central Fam Pract). He was unconcerned about the days of labor I had with both kids, never questioned their vax status, and suggested breastmilk as a remedy for several things we went in for.
He also referred me to an acupuncturist and herbalist for treating Fibromyalgia.

Awesome guy, and the kids really like him.

Aimee CageFreeFamily
Mama to Quinn 7, Nichola 3, & Simone 5wk
#18 of 27 Old 10-11-2009, 02:39 PM

Dr. Eady did seem more pushy with the vaxes at his 1 year checkup. I told her I needed to do more research first. She was pushing the Hep A.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#19 of 27 Old 10-19-2009, 04:03 PM

Has anyone tried Dr. Ehrin Parker? I heard she doesn't even have vaccines in her office. My insurance doesn't cover her, but I am thinking about going anyways.

- Crystal, mom to 4 kiddos expecting #5 very soon . We are a , , , , and family
#20 of 27 Old 10-26-2009, 03:49 AM

I'm due very soon , a patient of Dr. Sebestyen's and have not found a pediatrician yet . I live on the border of Austin, pretty much Northeast/Pflugerville.

I just checked Central Family Practice , and the website says they do not accept *any* insurance whatsoever, including Medicare or Medicaid. How do people afford this?

One of the midwives at the practice mentioned "North Austin pediatrics" or some practice off of Bee Caves road. ANy idea where this could be?

(Also, when are we supposed to take our baby in for a checkup? Can we wait til forty days after the birth,or dos it have to be immediately? We observe forty days w/o taking the baby out: it is very important to us for health and other reasons. )
#21 of 27 Old 10-28-2009, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayrigah View Post
I'm due very soon , a patient of Dr. Sebestyen's and have not found a pediatrician yet . I live on the border of Austin, pretty much Northeast/Pflugerville.

I just checked Central Family Practice , and the website says they do not accept *any* insurance whatsoever, including Medicare or Medicaid. How do people afford this?

One of the midwives at the practice mentioned "North Austin pediatrics" or some practice off of Bee Caves road. ANy idea where this could be?

(Also, when are we supposed to take our baby in for a checkup? Can we wait til forty days after the birth,or dos it have to be immediately? We observe forty days w/o taking the baby out: it is very important to us for health and other reasons. )
Sorry, I don't have any recommendations for you. We don't have a pediatrician. If the kids get sick I just take them to our family practice doctor. Anyway, you don't have to take the baby in right away. With my 4 year old she was born at home in February and I did not take her in to see a doctor until July and that was only because she was running a fever and had a stuffy nose. I am now pregnant with #3 and won't take this baby in unless something is wrong or it gets sick. Your midwife will do a complete newborn exam at birth and will let you know if something is wrong or if the baby should be seen by a doctor. Also, your midwife will follow the baby for the first 6 weeks so if something comes up during that time you can let your midwife know and she will tell you whether or not the baby should be seen by the doctor.

Lisa

P.S. Sorry I did not read the part about you having a hospital birth. Anyway the hospital will check the baby over really good and let you know if anything is wrong.
#22 of 27 Old 10-28-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:

Bee Cave Pediatrics is probably what she's referring to. It's actually on 360, not off Bee Caves. We go there and see Dr. Jerome Hudson. He's very pro-breastfeeding, extended bf, and supportive of delayed/selective vax (not sure about no vax, as we are selective). He refuses to vax any child with any hint of compromised immunity (i.e. even a runny nose).

We met with him before dd was born, around 37weeks. Our first visit to see him wasn't until after 8 weeks. Our midwife did all care at our home up to that point.

Rachel. Devoted wife and joyful mama to Beatrice June(2/25/08) and Leona Agnes (8/10/10).
#23 of 27 Old 10-28-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Different doctors take very different views on this, so you will hopefully find one who's compatible with you. One I talked with, years ago, was really uneasy with out-of-hospital childbirth and felt like we had to come in really soon (talking contingencies on how to see her on a Sunday morning, for example), the next was much more laid-back, and if I'd told him hey, I'll bring kiddo in if there's a problem, but otherwise it'll be at least 40 days, he would've gone with it, I think (he's moved away from Austin, so not helpful to you). You may want to keep family practice docs in mind as well as pediatricians.

Also, some doctors' offices don't file insurance, but you may be able to file the paperwork and have your insurance company reimburse you. You'd have to look at your plan provisions to see how that would work and whether they'd cover at in-network vs out-of-network costs, and what the difference may be.
#24 of 27 Old 02-09-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to update.

We recently went to see Dr. Eady again for a 2 year visit. She told us then that she doesn't keep patients that don't vax at all which is consistent with what others have said. She wanted to see the kids get some vaxes that she believes are very important. It looks like we'll be looking for a new pediatrician.
#25 of 27 Old 02-15-2010, 11:17 AM

i

Dana- wife to wonderful DH, and a non vaxed happy heathly 2 yr old!

#26 of 27 Old 02-17-2010, 12:31 AM

I use Dr. Norton at Beecaves pediatrics. I'm not real sure how she would feel about not vaxing at all, but she's cool with delaying/selective. I know that office is used to people who do homebirths and do things more natural. She actually thinks non-circ is better too. I really like her. Central family practice would be ideal, but they don't accept insurance...
#27 of 27 Old 02-17-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjarvis View Post
Has anyone tried Dr. Ehrin Parker? I heard she doesn't even have vaccines in her office. My insurance doesn't cover her, but I am thinking about going anyways.
I have adult friends who see her and rave about her. Pay out of pocket - I don't think she takes insurance. They say she's worth it.

Me: 38 DH: 47
DS#1: 9/01 DS#2: 8/04 : DS#3: 7/06 DD#1: 8/09

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page