Good Midwife in Houston area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-09-2009, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi
I'm actually looking for my brother and SIL. They live on the Friendswood side of Houston. So please post any links or great midwives you know of.
Thanks!

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#2 of 15 Old 09-09-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&K'smommie View Post
Hi
I'm actually looking for my brother and SIL. They live on the Friendswood side of Houston. So please post any links or great midwives you know of.
Thanks!
There are tons of good midwives in Houston! I assume that we're talking homebirth midwives?

My top picks would be Chris Duffy (a little far from them), Jackie Griggs, or Sandra McDonald.

I used Chris Duffy for both of my births and have been very happy with her.

-Angela
#3 of 15 Old 09-09-2009, 11:40 AM

I second Chris Duffy (HBACing in Nov) but I interviewed Carol Schumaker (sp) and really liked her too. Ultimately, it came down to location; Carol is in Bellaire which might be a good option for them.

HTH!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#4 of 15 Old 09-09-2009, 02:29 PM

I have heard great things about Chris as well, I used Jackie for both of mine and would use her again if I were to have more.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#5 of 15 Old 09-11-2009, 01:49 PM

We used Sandra McDonald and LOVE her!

Now: Mama of 2! Worker Bee happily married to my DH, motorcycle riding mama to H 8/99 and K 8/09.
#6 of 15 Old 09-12-2009, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, Homebirth or Birthing Center would be great. Thanks ladies! I will forward these names on to them!

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#7 of 15 Old 09-12-2009, 08:16 PM

I delivered my 18 month old with Bernadette Olivier at Rite of Passage in Pearland, and will be delivering this little one there too in February. Bernadette is an amazing midwife. She is probably pretty close to them depending on the location... maybe 15 minutes? She is worth the drive though... I lived 45 minutes away with my 18 month old, and now the drive is 25 minutes. Hope this helps.

Shannon, Daughter of the King, Wife to Christopher, Blessed Mom of 3 Boys. Homeschool, SAHM, and midwife. 

#8 of 15 Old 09-22-2009, 10:04 PM

we are using jackie griggs for our birth in feb and i cant wait. we interviewed four other midwives and really felt comfortable with her. she is in pasadena. they may want to look into christine messara, she is in friendswood and is prob the least expensive midwife in the area-$2700 total if paid by 24 weeks. jackie griggs does tons of diff payment plans and really works with each couple's situation. if they are looking for a birth center that accepts insurance they should look into rite of passage-pearland or nativiti-which would be far for them.
#9 of 15 Old 09-23-2009, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sandra McDonald is my midwife and I highly recommend her. I'm not sure if she travels as far as Friendswood, though.

http://www.houstonmidwives.org/ is a good place to check for midwives and their contact info. Probably worth calling a few to find out if they serve her area, etc.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#10 of 15 Old 09-26-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieM View Post
we are using jackie griggs for our birth in feb and i cant wait. we interviewed four other midwives and really felt comfortable with her. she is in pasadena. they may want to look into christine messara, she is in friendswood and is prob the least expensive midwife in the area-$2700 total if paid by 24 weeks. jackie griggs does tons of diff payment plans and really works with each couple's situation. if they are looking for a birth center that accepts insurance they should look into rite of passage-pearland or nativiti-which would be far for them.
I live in Galveston and we drove to Nativiti for our birth a year and a half ago. We really liked everyone there and felt very comfortable. We will probably be doing a homebirth the next time, however, so I'll have to shop for someone new. Nativiti did take my insurance (BCBS at the time) and helped me argue some finer points of my policy when BCBS got kinda snotty. My husband and I would both recommend Nativiti.
#11 of 15 Old 07-08-2012, 06:28 PM

Chris Duffy was our midwife and we loved her!  She might be too far for people in Friendswood but I would recommend you talk to her!  Her website is www.birthtruth.com.

#12 of 15 Old 10-01-2012, 04:37 AM

Hello, 

I am looking for a good midwife in the humble/kingwood area who will accept a VBAC.  Any info would be wonderful!  
Thanks, 

Karen 

#13 of 15 Old 10-04-2012, 09:32 PM

Hi Karen -

Sandra McDonald, Sally Witte, Chris Duffy... Magnolia Birth Center... they all with do a VBAC in your area. :) You have a great number of options in your area and I have seen a few beautiful VBA2C with some of the above mentioned mother-helpers. :)

Cole Deelah
a mama of 5, wife of one, doula, MW apprentice, and childbirth educator
#14 of 15 Old 12-08-2012, 10:09 PM

Thank you for your info! 

Karen

#15 of 15 Old 02-04-2013, 01:15 PM

Sandra McDonald is amazing. Love her. Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page