Need Houston Homebirth Midwife Recs. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 10-06-2009, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do get the feeling that there are more MWs than there is demand for.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#32 of 44 Old 10-06-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanessab23 View Post
I just question the motive when the policy has changed in a few short years-- granted I have been out of houston for 1.5 years now-- has there been a great influx of midwives to the area? I'm wondering why such a seasoned midwife would need to change her policies (and not to her advantage) when she already has a full load.
Well this isnt new, i had this option when I first met with Jackie (over 4 years ago) and with my last one too... I dont know why you think it has changed a great deal. She has awlays wanted to see if insurance pays for the bulk of it. Maybe it is because I have always had great insurance that she wanted to see what would happen... but this isnt new.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#33 of 44 Old 10-06-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almadianna View Post
Well this isnt new, i had this option when I first met with Jackie (over 4 years ago) and with my last one too... I dont know why you think it has changed a great deal. She has awlays wanted to see if insurance pays for the bulk of it. Maybe it is because I have always had great insurance that she wanted to see what would happen... but this isnt new.

At times she has taken medicaid too.

And fwiw she is not currently the only midwife who will wait on payment from insurance either.

-Angela
#34 of 44 Old 10-06-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post

And fwiw she is not currently the only midwife who will wait on payment from insurance either.

-Angela
Nope, she isnt. I am sad that Jackie doesnt take Medicaid anymore but I understand why she doesnt... there were people she didnt get a penny for.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#35 of 44 Old 10-06-2009, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
While my MW (Sandra McDonald) didn't spell out terms like outlined above, I never have had to pay before the birth. We billed insurance each time. If I have another, I actually will make payments before the birth because I think it will be easier, but she hasn't required it for those with insurance.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#36 of 44 Old 10-06-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almadianna View Post
Nope, she isnt. I am sad that Jackie doesnt take Medicaid anymore but I understand why she doesnt... there were people she didnt get a penny for.
well that must be it then-- i was with medicaid when miles was born in 2005.

btw ladies, i understand that if someone has insurance you are more flexible-- i meant for those who aren't so lucky and have to pay out of pocket. at 36 weeks medicaid dumped me for HB coverage and i had weeks to come up with $900.

Miles (December 2005) Pascual (March 2009). P's was my beautiful home waterbirth that healed me from my M's birth. natural birth, midwifery, postpartum depression, babywearing, breastfeeding.
#37 of 44 Old 10-10-2009, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

I'm finishing up my interviews this week. Meeting with Chris Duffy today, Sandra MacDonald on Monday or Tuesday and I'm interviewing Kellie Moeller on Wednesday. I wasn't planning on interviewing Kellie but I met her at the BIRTH Fair and we hit it off so I decided to throw her into the mix.

I'll let you know who I pick!

Gayle, WAHM to Aaliyah (8/06) and Lorelai (5/10). Married to M. bfinfant.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg
#38 of 44 Old 10-10-2009, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Okay - I'm loving Chris now. We met with her this afternoon and we totally hit it off. She's so easy to talk to and I felt a really great vibe from her. Plus, she's more in our price scale so even better!

Gayle, WAHM to Aaliyah (8/06) and Lorelai (5/10). Married to M. bfinfant.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg
#39 of 44 Old 10-10-2009, 09:17 PM

Yay!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#40 of 44 Old 10-11-2009, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That's great! Can't wait to hear how the rest of your interviews go!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#41 of 44 Old 10-17-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post

-Angela
Angela, can you give me the names of those mw's who will wait on payment from insurance? Pretty please?
#42 of 44 Old 10-17-2009, 06:55 PM

Thank you Angela! Talked to all three of them today and dd is setting up interviews...
#43 of 44 Old 12-08-2009, 07:13 PM

Did you interview your whole list of midwives? What did you decide on? How did they compare?

We're talking to Sandra this week and I was wondering if there's anyone else from your list we should consider. I'd love to hear what you thought about all the ladies you interviewed!
#44 of 44 Old 07-08-2012, 06:22 PM

I used Chris Duffy and loved the experience.  We just found out that we are lucky enough to need her for a second time and are very much looking forward to it!!!  Her website is www.myhealthfreedom.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page