Need Houston Homebirth Midwife Recs. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 09-17-2009, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So SPAM me about who you love and why! I have found myself unexpectedly pregnant and I need to start interviewing midwives. I had my daughter with a midwife in a hospital and it wasn't what I wanted out of my birth. So I want to do a homebirth this time around.

My husband has been laid off from work since last March so we need someone who is very willing to work with us on the finance part of it. I don't know if midwives have any need for graphic design (??) but I work at home doing freelance design so if anyone knows of someone who might be willing to trade services for part of the costs that would be helpful as well.

Since we're paying for all this out of pocket, we probably won't be able to hire a doula like I would want to. So it would be nice to have a midwife to be there supportively in that way somewhat. I guess someone just to be there when the going gets tough.

I've been looking around and I'm thinking about interviewing Jackie Griggs, Chris Duffy, and Sandra McDonald. Any others I should probably try? I'm open to any suggestions!!

Thanks for everyones help!

Gayle, WAHM to Aaliyah (8/06) and Lorelai (5/10). Married to M. bfinfant.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg
#2 of 44 Old 09-17-2009, 04:30 PM

There have been many recent threads on this topic...but I'll give you mine anyways.

I'm using Chris Duffy and so far, so good! She's on the northside (Spring).

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#3 of 44 Old 09-17-2009, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yeah... I guess I should have looked first to see if there was anything recent posted on this subject. I haven't been on here in awhile so I didn't even think about it.

I'll go back through and see what I can pull up.

Gayle, WAHM to Aaliyah (8/06) and Lorelai (5/10). Married to M. bfinfant.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg
#4 of 44 Old 09-17-2009, 06:11 PM

Well... your list is who I would consider. I use Chris Duffy and have been pleased. If I were interviewing, I'd interview Sandra and Jackie also

-Angela
#5 of 44 Old 09-17-2009, 07:09 PM

Sandra was my midwife for the first half of my last pregnancy. She's great! I moved so she wasn't the midwife at my birth, but I loved her while I had her!

Mama to two beautiful sons Wife to DH
#6 of 44 Old 09-17-2009, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Oh good! I'm glad I'm on the right track. I keep thinking I'm leaving someone out on my list but so far I guess I'm not!

I'm going to try to set up all of my interviews next week so I'll keep researching just in case. I appreciate everyone's help!

#7 of 44 Old 09-18-2009, 12:34 AM

I'll tell ya... you will find a great difference in cost with that list... just so you don't get blindsided

-Angela
#8 of 44 Old 09-18-2009, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I'll tell ya... you will find a great difference in cost with that list... just so you don't get blindsided

-Angela
That's good to know! I kinda knew that Chris Duffy was up there but wasn't sure about the others. We're trying to keep costs down as much as possible since my husband is unemployed at the moment. I tried finding their fees online but most midwives don't list them. I don't want to settle but I also don't want to get us into a financial hole we can't climb out of!

Are there any recommendations on midwives on the lower end of the cost spectrum you think are worth interviewing as well? I want to be fully prepared just in case.

#9 of 44 Old 09-18-2009, 11:25 AM

I used Rae Andrews, (who is a RN, CNM, MS) for my 5th. Her website is: http://birthingnaturally.com/aboutus.aspx . I loved her. I loved her personality and was exactly what dh and I wanted at the time. She did have a birthing center but has now changed to doing births at home again, the last time I spoke with her. She also does Bradley classes. For our 6th, she was going to be out of town for her daughter's wedding so she couldn't take me.

Abigail Grace (40ish), Wife to 1 Knight in Shining Armor
Homeschooling Mom to 6 and a surprise bundle due in March
#10 of 44 Old 09-18-2009, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbigailGrace View Post
I used Rae Andrews, (who is a RN, CNM, MS) for my 5th. Her website is: http://birthingnaturally.com/aboutus.aspx . I loved her. I loved her personality and was exactly what dh and I wanted at the time. She did have a birthing center but has now changed to doing births at home again, the last time I spoke with her. She also does Bradley classes. For our 6th, she was going to be out of town for her daughter's wedding so she couldn't take me.
She's doing home births again? Wow! I took her Bradley class for our daughter. That was back in 2006. I might just have to contact her.. she cracks me up! lol She seemed a little more on the medical side than I would prefer when talking about births during our classes though. She mentioned not using herbal remedies which I would actually prefer to use if possible before going a medical route. But maybe I'll contact her to at least interview her before assuming anything.

Thanks for letting me know!

#11 of 44 Old 09-18-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyag View Post
She's doing home births again? Wow! I took her Bradley class for our daughter. That was back in 2006. I might just have to contact her.. she cracks me up! lol She seemed a little more on the medical side than I would prefer when talking about births during our classes though. She mentioned not using herbal remedies which I would actually prefer to use if possible before going a medical route. But maybe I'll contact her to at least interview her before assuming anything.

Thanks for letting me know!
You are right about being more on the medical side of things. And it depends on what you are looking for. At the time, it is what dh and I needed because we didn't know anything about homebirths at all. Neither of us had ever known anyone who did it. But I opted out of most tests and she didn't have a problem with it. (I started to mention that about her but I just love HER anyway and trust her) I am comfortable with what I know I can take herb-wise now so I would probably just keep it to myself. And if I were going to use another midwife, I would seriously still consider her. (We are doing another UC) Good luck!!!

Abigail Grace (40ish), Wife to 1 Knight in Shining Armor
Homeschooling Mom to 6 and a surprise bundle due in March
#12 of 44 Old 09-18-2009, 05:04 PM

I used Jackie for both of mine and looooved her. I would also interview Chris, have heard good things about her.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#13 of 44 Old 09-18-2009, 06:28 PM

Actually, IME Chris is on the lowest end of the cost spectrum. Usually Sandra is one of the priciest as she comes to you. With ds Chris' prices at the time were HALF of what Sandra was charging.

-Angela
#14 of 44 Old 09-18-2009, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Actually, IME Chris is on the lowest end of the cost spectrum. Usually Sandra is one of the priciest as she comes to you. With ds Chris' prices at the time were HALF of what Sandra was charging.

-Angela
Half? Wow! That's a big difference!!

#15 of 44 Old 09-18-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Half? Wow! That's a big difference!!
But her prices did go up (said she wasn't making her costs)...currently it's between $2500-$3900. http://myhealthfreedom.com/index.php?id=210

I'd call her regarding payment, she's fairly flexible.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#16 of 44 Old 09-18-2009, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
But her prices did go up (said she wasn't making her costs)...currently it's between $2500-$3900. http://myhealthfreedom.com/index.php?id=210

I'd call her regarding payment, she's fairly flexible.
WOW! $2500 for paying in full by 20 weeks!? That's pretty awesome!

#17 of 44 Old 09-18-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
WOW! $2500 for paying in full by 20 weeks!? That's pretty awesome!
exactly.....

-Angela
#18 of 44 Old 09-22-2009, 09:58 PM

Jackie Griggs will be our midwife for the birth of our baby in Feb. I interviewed four midwives and found myself most comfortable with Jackie. She also does payment plans...don't have to pay anything until after the baby is born and you have until the end of the year to pay in full and she gives discounts for not having insurance/or not using it. The range for midwives I found while interviewing was $2400 (Christine Messara) to $5200 (Kellie Moeller with all visits at home).
#19 of 44 Old 09-23-2009, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sandra is my midwife, and I wholeheartedly recommend her. Definitely talk to her about costs and possible arrangements before making a decision. She does come to you for all appointments, which is fantastic, and also provides most of your birth kit items. Anyway, she was absolutely perfect for me, so I can't really put a price on that.

I took a "Bradley" class from Rae Andrews, and also found her to be more medically-minded, which I think can happen to many CNMs who spend a lot of time working in hospitals. On the other hand, I have benefitted greatly from Sandra's extensive knowledge of natural health and healing.

You've got a great list to start! Let us know whom you go with!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#20 of 44 Old 09-23-2009, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Wow! That's some really good news from the posters above! I'm going to have a hard time deciding!

I'm going to start interviewing next week so I'll let you all know who I end up going with. I wish I could start this week but I'm on a major deadline right now and I'm swamped until tomorrow afternoon.

Wow! I'm getting so excited about this!

#21 of 44 Old 09-30-2009, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

I met with Jackie Griggs today! I loved her!!! But..... I'm going to force myself to interview more midwives just in case. I would have loved to sign the contract today though. I felt very comfortable with her.

I have an appointment with Chris Duffy next weekend. I called Sandra McDonald and spoke to her but she still hasn't called me back about setting up an appointment. I'll call her back next week if I haven't heard from her by then.

#22 of 44 Old 10-01-2009, 02:12 PM

The birth center is in pasadena although she will travel for home birth. She helped deliver my son and we are going back to her this time! Her name is Jackie Griggs and this is her website
http://www.houstonmidwife.com/index/

oops, guess you were already one step ahead of me
#23 of 44 Old 10-03-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieM View Post
Jackie Griggs will be our midwife for the birth of our baby in Feb. I interviewed four midwives and found myself most comfortable with Jackie. She also does payment plans...don't have to pay anything until after the baby is born and you have until the end of the year to pay in full and she gives discounts for not having insurance/or not using it. The range for midwives I found while interviewing was $2400 (Christine Messara) to $5200 (Kellie Moeller with all visits at home).
whoa. I find that *very* interesting that jackie is allowing you to pay AFTER the birth-- you aren't paying her a single penny before????

that wasn't an option for me when I used her (i will PM the OP after this with my personal experience). no matter how much or what financial plan you are on it is extremely rare that you will find that. Everyone i have ever known (I am a midwife) has a firm policy that you need to be paid in full by 36 weeks....unless you are a close friend or special repeat client.

I would be leery of that type of "Midwife Special".

Miles (December 2005) Pascual (March 2009). P's was my beautiful home waterbirth that healed me from my M's birth. natural birth, midwifery, postpartum depression, babywearing, breastfeeding.
#24 of 44 Old 10-03-2009, 11:33 AM

I think that perhaps that deal is for clients paying with insurance. I think that several midwives who accept insurance are allowing that now for clients who have excellent coverage and wish to cover the whole thing with insurance.

-Angela
#25 of 44 Old 10-03-2009, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanessab23 View Post
whoa. I find that *very* interesting that jackie is allowing you to pay AFTER the birth-- you aren't paying her a single penny before????

that wasn't an option for me when I used her (i will PM the OP after this with my personal experience). no matter how much or what financial plan you are on it is extremely rare that you will find that. Everyone i have ever known (I am a midwife) has a firm policy that you need to be paid in full by 36 weeks....unless you are a close friend or special repeat client.

I would be leery of that type of "Midwife Special".
She made me a similar offer. She gave me the out-of-pocket discount. She also said she requires 350 on the first visit. Then she said if I see you are making regular payments if there is a balance left you have until the end of the birth year to pay her back. She does hang on to the birth cert until the full payment is received though. But we still have to make payments before the baby is born which is what I would prefer to do.

#26 of 44 Old 10-04-2009, 10:18 AM

Still sounds bizarre to me.

Miles (December 2005) Pascual (March 2009). P's was my beautiful home waterbirth that healed me from my M's birth. natural birth, midwifery, postpartum depression, babywearing, breastfeeding.
#27 of 44 Old 10-04-2009, 10:38 AM

I'd like to throw in my rec for Sallie Witte. You can find her info at http://www.texasmidwives.com/ Her fees are reasonable and she is flexible. She has attended two of my homebirths. She does all visits at your home. I love that she will treat you like a friend instead of acting like a "medical professional" who has some sort of power over you. She is not medically minded, but handles complications well. (I had a bleed after my last birth that she managed very well without having to transport) We are expecting another baby in May, and I am using her again. She is worth interviewing.

Good luck!
#28 of 44 Old 10-04-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanessab23 View Post
Still sounds bizarre to me.
why?

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#29 of 44 Old 10-05-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
She made me a similar offer. She gave me the out-of- pocket discount. She also said she requires 350 on the first visit. Then she said if I see you are making regular payments if there is a balance left you have until the end of the birth year to pay her back. She does hang on to the birth cert until the full payment is received though. But we still have to make payments before the baby is born which is what I would prefer to do.
me too. I did have insurance so that could of been part of it. Not by her asking but just to get it out of the way I paid my deductible to her when I was 39 weeks but I think it could have waited if I had not asked to pay it.
#30 of 44 Old 10-06-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almadianna View Post
why?
I just question the motive when the policy has changed in a few short years-- granted I have been out of houston for 1.5 years now-- has there been a great influx of midwives to the area? I'm wondering why such a seasoned midwife would need to change her policies (and not to her advantage) when she already has a full load.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page