Shadow care?/Backup OB Kingwood, TX - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-26-2009, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
jht

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are planning a HBvbac.
I feel like if I could alleviate my two biggest concerns about a vbac at home, then I would be able to relax and have a better chance at delivering at home.

I'm worried about knowing when/if to transport. My midwife is very good at re-assuring me about the clinical signs. But that plays into my second worry; if we do have to transport - I've heard horror stories about women who attempt HB getting "butchered" (sorry for the word choice - that is the word that stuck in my mind after reading) because they don't know the OB attending or more likely b/c the OB doesn't agree with their decision to try a HB or a VBAC. (My midwife does not have a backup OB).

Through the ICAN chapter, I've heard about shadow care; where a woman sees an OB and a midwife in order to have a smooth back up just in case. I've heard great things about Memorial Hermann Hospital and St Lukes and mixed reviews about Kingwood Hospital, which is the closest to us.

Does anyone have an opinion about Shadow Care?
Are there any OBs in Kingwood that willingly participate in Shadow Care?
Are there any OBs in Kingwood that are semi-vbac friendly?
Or, I guess if we got to that point, I would just need an OB who was friendly Is it immoral to go to an OB and not tell them of external midwife plans?
And last but not least - any doula recommendations for the Kingwood area?
#2 of 6 Old 10-29-2009, 11:38 PM

My OB knows about my homebirth plans, and she is going to do shadow care for me. I'm not sure if she would be supportive of a homebirth VBAC, or VBAC period, but it doesn't hurt to ask. PM me if you want her name. She is FANTASTIC!!

Mommy to sweet baby Rhys born 7/15
#3 of 6 Old 10-29-2009, 11:41 PM

I am doing this with my next one for sure. We were treated SO horribly by the hospital and they held my baby hostage in the NICU. I am leaning strongly towards Dr Guilliams at West Houston (not close to you, sorry) because of his relationship with my midwife.

I don't think it is bad not to tell an OB of your plans. To me it is a necessity in the environment Houston has created around birth. If I knew/suspected an OB would accept or even tolerate me going for a HB, I would tell though - it's just better all round.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#4 of 6 Old 10-30-2009, 04:07 PM

No specific recommendations here, but...there is a "New Mom Support Group" at Merry Go Round consignment store (which is also My Little Juel lactation support) that you might find a good resource. Saturday mornings 10:30 am, on Woodland Hills Drive here in Kingwood.

Congrats on your expected little one and good luck!!
#5 of 6 Old 10-30-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2annika View Post
No specific recommendations here, but...there is a "New Mom Support Group" at Merry Go Round consignment store (which is also My Little Juel lactation support) that you might find a good resource. Saturday mornings 10:30 am, on Woodland Hills Drive here in Kingwood.

Congrats on your expected little one and good luck!!
I already bullied her into coming to the group on Wednesday! I told her MGR is where all the cool moms in Kingwood are hanging out!

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#6 of 6 Old 10-31-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jht View Post
Does anyone have an opinion about Shadow Care?
IMO, it's just another way to plant seeds of doubt in your morale. VBACing is already more difficult and following standard OB care is probably going to be a constant bombardment of arbitrary timelines, bad u/s measurements with accompanying scare tactics, etc.

Quote:
Are there any OBs in Kingwood that are semi-vbac friendly?
Or, I guess if we got to that point, I would just need an OB who was friendly
I can tell you who's NOT for sure; at 7 weeks I got asked to schedule my rc/s. I couldn't get any good recs for VBAC-friendly and I asked all the moms I knew who'd had c/s. They all said their OBs insisted on scheduled rc/s as the 'safest'.

Quote:
Is it immoral to go to an OB and not tell them of external midwife plans?
OBs are infamous for promising one thing then changing, so no...

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page