Family Practictioner in San Antonio - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-19-2009, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good PCP/ Family doctor in the San Antonio area? We live in the Alamo Heights area but I will drive pretty much anywhere in the surrounding area for a good doctor. Also we will probably be moving to the Helotes area in the new year so anyone near there would be great too. Our insurance just changed (to Humana) so I have to switch. Thankfully our pediatrician will stay the same and is covered. If anyone is looking for a good ped, Dr. McMains is the best!!!

Alicewyf: doula, wife to DH, and mama to Lillian (7/09) and Daniel (6/12).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 12-01-2009, 10:49 PM

North Hills Family Medicine is family owned and believes in alternative medicine. We went there when my son had a fever at 6wks - they are very kind and took us as a walk-in even though they were packed and said they wouldn't be able to take us. My midwife recommended them to us and says most of her clients choose them.

http://www.northhillsfamilymedicine.com/

Breastfeeding, delayed/selective vax, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, homebirthing mama to son River 8/10/09 and daughter Austen 10/13/11
mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpg homebirth.jpgcd.gif

#3 of 10 Old 12-01-2009, 10:51 PM

Oh! I have a question about McMaines ... our midwife also suggested her to us since Medicaid doesn't cover NHFM. I see y'all choose selective vax. How does she agree with that? Does she push for the regular vax routine, or is she encouraging about y'all's decision? How is she in terms of alt medicine?

Breastfeeding, delayed/selective vax, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, homebirthing mama to son River 8/10/09 and daughter Austen 10/13/11
mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpg homebirth.jpgcd.gif

#4 of 10 Old 12-04-2009, 12:51 AM

im gonna ditto north hills. thats where we take the whole family and they are fantastic. we drive up there from near lackland. thats how much we love them.
#5 of 10 Old 12-05-2009, 02:38 AM

We take our kids to Dr.Earp at North Hills Family Medicine for well check ups.
We (whole family) go also go to Dr.Esquivel (holistic MD-Northwest side of town) and Dr.Stamps (chiropractor in New Braunfels).

http://www.dresquivel.com/
#6 of 10 Old 12-06-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaves View Post
Oh! I have a question about McMaines ... our midwife also suggested her to us since Medicaid doesn't cover NHFM. I see y'all choose selective vax. How does she agree with that? Does she push for the regular vax routine, or is she encouraging about y'all's decision? How is she in terms of alt medicine?
I go to McMains; I was asked by the nurse and McMains if I was vaxing that day but there was no other discussion (btw, I do not vax at all).

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#7 of 10 Old 12-06-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good PCP/ Family doctor in the San Antonio area? We live in the Alamo Heights area but I will drive pretty much anywhere in the surrounding area for a good doctor. Also we will probably be moving to the Helotes area in the new year so anyone near there would be great too. Our insurance just changed (to Humana) so I have to switch. Thankfully our pediatrician will stay the same and is covered. If anyone is looking for a good ped, Dr. McMains is the best!!!
I live on the border of NW San Antonio and Helotes and we will be going to NHFM as well. Dh has already been, but we switched insurance just before school started so ds did not get his annual and I don't want to take him in during flu season. I did have to take ds to the Dr. twice last month, but it was after hours so I went to the walk-in clinic down the street.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#8 of 10 Old 12-08-2009, 10:09 PM

I had to take ds to North Hills Family Medicine today for an ear infection, and they did not even utter the word vaccination.

I think I'm going to like it there .

#9 of 10 Old 12-11-2009, 03:09 AM

Melissa Kempf is a DO family practitioner. She is quite popular in the autism community as she is a DAN doctor and therefore is open to non-vaxing and alternative therapies, not just for autism but for general wellness.
We only saw her once and it wasn't a good fit for *us* but lots of people just adore her.

Melissa Kempf
Ste 107
3338 Oakwell Court, San Antonio, TX 78218-3087
(210) 822-3646

Karen, homeschooling Catholic mom to 8. #9 due 6/10
#10 of 10 Old 07-19-2010, 03:38 PM

I've been informed that due to a recent change in policy, North Hills Family Medicine does not take patients who are not fully vaccinated according to schedule any longer.

We took DS to see Dr. Geralde there and we were turned away. Don't waste your time!

Anna ~ Mom to Ansel (6-17-08), Wife to Mac since 12-18-04, human companion to Cayley.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page