Will I be able to avoid interventions at OU Medical? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 12-14-2009, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I will be TTC again next year, and I really want to have my decisions made before that happens. I'm planning to set up a "meet and greet" with midwives Pauline or Ann, who have both been recommended, but I learned the hard way not to trust what your caregiver tells you before you get to the hospital...

I delivered my son at Norman Regional, and while I ended up with the natural birth I wanted, it was REALLY a struggle, with lots of unnecessary interventions that I tried to avoid. I really felt like my doctor had pulled a "bait and switch" on me, just having agreed to my requests in the office with no intention of ever honoring them. Unfortunately, my husband got somewhat panicky during the labor process and was not a good ally in my wishes, because he fell into the "doctor knows best" mindset.

To those of you that have used the midwives at OU, were you able to easily opt out of all the standard interventions? Specifically, will I have trouble avoiding an IV or CFM? What about the time limit from the time your water breaks? And is eating and drinking OK (admittedly, that's an easy one to take care of yourself!)?

I'm really leaning toward a homebirth, but I don't think I'll ever be able to get my husband comfortable with the idea, so I'm trying to find a hospital I can live with.

Thanks so much! Crystal
#2 of 19 Old 12-24-2009, 07:56 PM

I've given birth twice at OU, with OBs tho instead of mws because I was a vbac and for the MWs security sake they insist on an IV and CFM so I had to revert to an OB. Anyway. I am very happy with them. First time my dr insisted on abx at the 24 hour mark after my waterbroke, had I known tho what I know now I would have refused and I don't think that would have been a problem had I put my foot down. I've only had one nurse that gave me grief about being checked and due to my DH faltering, I allowed it. As long as you are clear about what you want and that your position is not going to change you really shouldn't have any problems there. I did end up w/ meds tho cause I didn't have the strength for the pain so I did end up w/ IV and CFM but it was really sweet - the nurse the first time kept asking - are you sure? you really want it? are you sure? cause she knew how much I wanted no meds. great place.

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#3 of 19 Old 12-24-2009, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the information, OceansEve! That's good to know. I just want to feel secure that it won't be a huge fight to have my wishes honored, and it sounds like that's the case.

Crystal
#4 of 19 Old 12-30-2009, 12:01 AM

My first child was also born at Norman Regional and my second was at OU Med. Center with one of the midwives, Leanna. My third child was born at Presbyterian Hosp. of Allen in Allen, TX near Dallas with an OB because my CNM was unfortunately out of town. I had a negative experience with Norman Reg. and a very positive experience with OU Med. Center. I had zero interventions at OUMC- not even a hep lock. The great thing about going with the midwives at OU is that even if one of them is out of town there is still 2 other midwives. If I still lived in OK I would def. go with the midwives at OU again. Here in the Dallas area, I'm going with a birth center next time.
#5 of 19 Old 12-30-2009, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Blythe,

Thank you so much! That was exactly what I wanted to hear, and takes a huge weight off my shoulders. I'm really looking forward to meeting the midwives, and my husband is on-board with that idea, too, which makes me happy. My pregnancy and the birth were just one giant worry for him last time, although I don't really know why, since I had a perfect pregnancy and didn't even cry out during the natural birth. I'm hoping a less-medicalized, more natural birthing process will help him, and I know it's exactly what I want!

Thanks again, Crystal
#6 of 19 Old 01-05-2010, 02:58 AM

December 2008, I delivered at OU Medical Center (it was the ONLY hospital in OK where you would be ALLOWED to try for a VBAC (even though I've had 3!), and my experience was a bit different. Hubby & I went in with my printed Birthing Plan and attending Dr looked it over and said, "I see no reason why we couldn't do that," but I think she was just blowing hot air.

Once I was admitted, everything changed! I wasn't allowed to walk around during labor, they INSISTED on an IV (even though I was very opposed) and pressured me (*and MADE ME CRY) until I finally let them give me Pitocin (I had only been there an hour & a half!). ONE NURSE was nice to me and told me (after the Dr left the room) that I could have continued to refused and they would have had to honor that... but I had tried and anyway by then it was too late!

I felt VERY deceived and taken-advantage-of while in such a vulnerable position! I hope your experience is much better than mine!

Happily-married, bfinfant.gifing, cd.gifing mother-of-FIVE (G18, G16, B9, B2, Bnb) Supermom!
#7 of 19 Old 01-09-2010, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Happee,

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience at OU. I was feeling all warm and fuzzy from the other two... Yours actually reminded me of my son's birth at Norman Regional. I had hoped that the hospital in general was more natural friendly, but maybe there's still hope with the midwives.

My biggest hope is to have all the drama taken care of, and avoid the conflicts during labor. I guess I'm going to have to keep seeking testimonials to get a clearer idea. Thanks for giving me your experience.

Crysatl
#8 of 19 Old 01-09-2010, 01:57 AM

I hope you get the birth you envision!

Happily-married, bfinfant.gifing, cd.gifing mother-of-FIVE (G18, G16, B9, B2, Bnb) Supermom!
#9 of 19 Old 01-09-2010, 09:42 PM

I'm due at the end of June and am planning a birth at OU. I'm using Leanna and so far she has been great. My doula said she has attended lots of births at OU and they are very natural birth friendly. I have heard from other moms but am not quite sure, that pauline requires a heplock but leanna and ann dont. I've also heard that Leanna and Ann will let you give birth in the tub if you are really wanting a water birth. As far as walking around, eating, drinking , showers, tubs...they pretty much let you do whatever you want. When i asked leanna about the iv, she said she prefers for women to have heplocks "just in case" but its not something she requires. I highly reccomend hiring a doula if you plan on a hospital birth.
#10 of 19 Old 01-13-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happeesupermom View Post
December 2008, I delivered at OU Medical Center (it was the ONLY hospital in OK where you would be ALLOWED to try for a VBAC (even though I've had 3!), and my experience was a bit different. Hubby & I went in with my printed Birthing Plan and attending Dr looked it over and said, "I see no reason why we couldn't do that," but I think she was just blowing hot air.

Once I was admitted, everything changed! I wasn't allowed to walk around during labor, they INSISTED on an IV (even though I was very opposed) and pressured me (*and MADE ME CRY) until I finally let them give me Pitocin (I had only been there an hour & a half!). ONE NURSE was nice to me and told me (after the Dr left the room) that I could have continued to refused and they would have had to honor that... but I had tried and anyway by then it was too late!

I felt VERY deceived and taken-advantage-of while in such a vulnerable position! I hope your experience is much better than mine!
The OU midwives would be different then if you delivered with a physician at OU. Sorry that you had a bad experience! I have had several friends who delivered with the midwives at OU, and all of them rave about how wonderful it was.
CTdiver have you looked into the CMS midwives if you were wanting more of a homebirth? They do have a birthing cottage that you can use in Norman. There is even a nurse-midwife on staff if that would make your husband more comfortable!
#11 of 19 Old 01-23-2010, 04:51 AM

Even with the best midwives (and OU has great midwives) they can still see multiple patients in a hospital rotation - so you may still not have the continuity of care that you desire unless you have a doula that stays with you from the beginning to the end. A birth doula helps you avoid those interventions you deem unfavorable.

Here are some local doulas: http://dacoinc.org/birthdoulas.cfm

Hope this helps!!!

CD(DONA) Birth Doula, Mama to a sweet little boy (4/08) and married to my soulmate.love.gif

We heartbeat.gif the family bed, birth advocacy, babywearing and breastfeeding my son until he outgrows the need.
#12 of 19 Old 02-04-2010, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!

I did actually check into the midwives at CMS when I was pregnant with my son, but it was late in the pregnancy, and I was stressed about changing care givers at that time so I didn't (bad decision on my part!) In fact, that's who delivered my sister-in-law's children so I really liked the idea. Unfortunately, I just don't think my husband could handle a home birth. For some reason, he came out of my son's birth seriously traumatized. (OK, I have some reasons, including both of his parents dying when he was 15 from completely separate issues...) Still surprising, though, since I was really calm the whole time, even though it was long. Nonetheless, I think the amount of stress HE would have from a non-hospital birth would impact me negatively, and short of me just having a fit and refusing to go with anyone but a homebirth midwife, I don't think he'd go along with it.

I checked into the birthing cottage that CMS uses, thinking maybe he'd be more comfortable, but with my insurance, there's almost a penalty for using them, versus a homebirth, in regards to the costs if you end up needing an emergency transfer to the hospital. And really, I don't know if that would be any better for him.

I'm planning on calling in the next week or so to schedule a "meet-n-greet" with one of the OU midwives, probably Anne, so hopefully, that will give me some resolution. I'll let you know what I find out!

I think I'll probably take your advice to get a doula, as well. Fortunately, the lady that taught the prenatal yoga class I attended last time is a doula, and both my husband and I really liked her and her birth philosophies, so that will be an easier decision.

Thanks again for all of your inputs!

Crystal
#13 of 19 Old 02-12-2010, 12:30 AM

I'd like to know where Ann stands on heplock cause she told me I would have to have one, that's why I ended up sticking with my OB cause she said she was okay with me bending the rules.

Hapees - sorry for your bad experience. my first birth there could have gone very wrong had shifts not changed when they did. I will never participate with a male OB there. I was not impressed with either one I have met. One actually left me in the triage for 4 hours leaking fluid everywhere and DH had to go harass the nurses (whom I pissed off wonderfully) to get me more towels, but the other 30ish hours of labor after that were great . Once the female OBs came on shift I was very happy with my experience. I may have created that problem because I personally have an objection to male OBs anyway (I know I'm wierd and have issues). That was in 2007, my 2009 birth was great from beginning to end.

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#14 of 19 Old 04-03-2010, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Just to check back in, I've got an appointment for my annual with midwife Dusty Grupe next week. I had called to make an appointment with Ann Stewart, but evidently she's beginning the process of retiring, and so is not taking on new patients.

After asking around some, I decided to meet with Dusty first, and if it's not a great fit, see Leanna for a meet-n-greet. Hopefully I'll click with Dusty, since I've now gone off my birth control, and I'd love to have everything already taken care of.

Crystal
#15 of 19 Old 04-16-2010, 03:32 PM

Here is the good news, every hospital (even the ones with midwives, like OU) will say you have to follow certain "guidelines" as a patient, but the truth is that legally you have rights to refuse any test, procedure or intervention, i.e.: heplock, fetal monitoring, ultrasounds, newborn exams, etc.

For more information look up The Patient's Bill of Rights. It is also a good idea to pick up a copy of the hospitals admissions policy and read it and cross out the things you don't agree with when you sign it.

I have worked with many moms that refused standard items like IVs/heplocks, continous monitoring, not eating in labor rule, and even a mom that refused to get out of the birthing tub so that their baby would be born in the water, despite "hospital policy".

Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, some careproviders give moms grief when they refuse to consent, but the moms don't usually care about that so long as they have the birth they desire.

CD(DONA) Birth Doula, Mama to a sweet little boy (4/08) and married to my soulmate.love.gif

We heartbeat.gif the family bed, birth advocacy, babywearing and breastfeeding my son until he outgrows the need.
#16 of 19 Old 05-24-2010, 12:36 PM

I am just curious if you found a CNMW that you liked at OU Med Center. I know this post is almost 5 months old now. However, I just wanted to share my experiences. With my ODS (Aug 06) I switched from an OB that I didn't like to Pauline at 30wks. With him I asked to be induced in order to make sure DH was there for the birth. So, I did have an IV since I was receiving Pitocin but Pauline hooked me up to the wireless fetal monitor so I was able to walk around as much as I wanted. I still had a great birth experience and I loved how caring Pauline was and that she completely worked with me. My YDS was born May 08 and he was delivered by Ann because Pauline was out of town. At first I really did not care for Ann. I had an appt with her on 5/27 for a prenatal check since Pauline was out of town. I had been 4cm dilated for the past 3 weeks so she offered to strip my membranes. I was fine with that. Ann said as soon as she stripped my membranes I immediately went to 6.5cm almost 7cm. But since I was actively contracting she sent me home. I asked if I went to L&D that evening would I be admitted and she said only if I was contracting regularly. I'll be honest I was terrified to be at home by myself with just my son at 7cm. I finally called my best friend who came and stayed with me after her DH got home from work and ended up taking my son to my mother's house and then we went walking for 4 hours! In the end we went up to L&D around 10pm and since I was in active labor (I didn't even realize I was contracting) they admitted me and Ann ended up delivering my son at 3am. So my first impression of Ann wasn't great but in the end I "grew" to like her. I am now pregnant again and I have already started seeing Pauline. I truly like Pauline so I hope she isn't out of town this Christmas! It is my understanding that "hospital policy" for OU is that everyone have at least a heplock and wear the fetal monitoring belt. They do have wireless FM belts and you can labor in the shower/bathtub if you want to but they no longer allow you to birth in the tub.
#17 of 19 Old 08-28-2010, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Ashley,

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. To answer your question about whether I'd found a MW I liked, the answer is yes, but now she's leaving! I had my annual exam with Dusty Grupe at OU Medical like I mentioned in an earlier post, and I liked her, even though she was the least experienced of the group. Unfortunately, I read on a local message group that she was moving out of state in July, so it looks like I'm going to have to make up my mind again!

So, as I assume Ann is STILL not taking new patients since she wants to retire, I'm trying to decide again between Pauline and Leanna. I've heard more good things about Pauline, maybe just because she's been around longer, but I know that she won't allow a water birth, and I had heard the other MW's would let you give birth in the water if you're already in there when you get close. I'm leaning toward Pauline, but I keep coming back to the idea of a water birth, which I didn't have with my son's birth. I mean, I don't know if I'd want it, but I'd like to have the option! Is that a new policy you mentioned about waterbirths, or is it the old policy that everyone just seemed to ignore?

What you mentioned about it being OU's policy to require a heplock and a wireless belt is interesting. The heplock doesn't really bother me, but I definitely felt like during the first time, everyone (DH, my best friend, my mom, the nurses) spent WAY too much time looking at the danged thing. And would that require me to stay in my room? I wonder how far you can get away from the sensor with those.
#18 of 19 Old 08-28-2010, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritedDoula View Post
Here is the good news, every hospital (even the ones with midwives, like OU) will say you have to follow certain "guidelines" as a patient, but the truth is that legally you have rights to refuse any test, procedure or intervention, i.e.: heplock, fetal monitoring, ultrasounds, newborn exams, etc.

For more information look up The Patient's Bill of Rights. It is also a good idea to pick up a copy of the hospitals admissions policy and read it and cross out the things you don't agree with when you sign it.

I have worked with many moms that refused standard items like IVs/heplocks, continous monitoring, not eating in labor rule, and even a mom that refused to get out of the birthing tub so that their baby would be born in the water, despite "hospital policy".

Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, some careproviders give moms grief when they refuse to consent, but the moms don't usually care about that so long as they have the birth they desire.

Thanks for the info, Taryn. That was actually another beef I had with Norman Regional. When I went in to pre-register, I had to fight with the person checking me in about what was in the admissions policy, and in the end, she flat wouldn't take my application with some of the things I had adjusted. In the end, I signed what I had to and thought I'd just do what I wanted, but I found that's easier said than done when you're in labor.

I guess I need to go in to that battle more prepared this time, whether that means asking to talk to a supervisor or not pre-registering, just showing up in labor. I really hate confrontations, but in this, I'm just going to have to buck up if I want things the way I want them.

Crystal
#19 of 19 Old 09-01-2010, 11:50 AM

Have you looked into St. Anthony's at all? I know OU gets most of the spotlight for VBAC and midwives, but I know in 2008 both those options were available at St. Anthony (though unfortunately not covered by our insurance :-p).

Stay at home mom to three little boys born 6-06, 12-08, and 4-11.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page