Self Emplyoed,no insurance, planning for baby, houston - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-04-2010, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
bw3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi

I live in the houston, texas/Sugar Land area in an apartment. We are 30 and planning for a baby. I am self employed, and do not have insurance.

I earn a decent amount 100K so i do not qualify for any assistance, and my wife does not work. I help out family so I pretty much have next to nothing saved. So we have no insurance right now, and all the insurance places charge a lot for selft emplyed.

I do not know what to do. How much does child birth normal cost, where to get aid? How can i negoitate with a hospital to get a better rate, i have 4-5 hospitals near by. I am totally confused and worried, so if you could help then it would be great of how to get started, without insurance.
#2 of 12 Old 01-05-2010, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My husband and I are in the same boat as you. We are both self-employed and make good money but regular insurance is out of reach due to cost. We are pregnant with our third. Our children are born at home with a midwife. Cost about 2000.00. If for some reason a transfer should occur to a hospital we will have to set up a payment plan with them.

Lisa
#3 of 12 Old 01-05-2010, 12:26 AM

Homebirth with a midwife is the most cost effective choice. Last I checked, Houston homebirth midwives were running around $2500-$6000+

-Angela
#4 of 12 Old 01-05-2010, 02:29 AM

Yes, hospital births cost a LOT more than a homebirth. Here's a brief article with some data on costs:
http://www.blisstree.com/breastfeedi...al-or-at-home/

I am also in Sugar Land and have had two home births here with midwife Sandra McDonald. There are a number of other midwives who serve this area, as well. You can find a listing of Houston area midwives at http://www.houstonmidwives.org/ - just note that calling them is better than emailing.

Midwives will generally offer a free meeting/interview, and most offer a discount for cash patients who pay by a certain point in the pregnancy. Many are able to work out payment plans of one sort or another.

It's definitely possible to have a wonderful birth without insurance!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#5 of 12 Old 01-05-2010, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter
bw3

thank you so much for the suggestions. Also is there a risk for midwife? Also for all the pre-birth visits to doctors, blood work etc, how do I find a qualified docotor to handle all this at a reasonable cost.

I am afraid of complications and then getting stuck in a financial hole. Any suggestions for care before birth? Also any particalar article a sole properitor should read? Thanks for your help, I am 30 and quite scared of the financial cost, i want a baby i just dont want to to be in a position where i can pay.
#6 of 12 Old 01-05-2010, 04:02 AM

The midwife will handle ALL care for you - prenatal visits (mine comes to my home; others have offices or home offices for you to meet at), blood work (or can refer you to a physician if that works better for you, which it won't without insurance), birth preparation, etc. She can refer you to childbirth educators if you want one, as well as doulas if you want one of those.

According to the article I linked to earlier, JUST the prenatal portion of working with an OB can tally $1500-3000, and given that the TOTAL cost for a midwife is in the $2500-6000 range, it is definitely cost-effective to see a midwife for the duration.

There is certainly a small chance that there can be complications not able to be handled at home, and in that case, a midwife would assist you in transferring to an OB or hospital (depending on when and what the problem was). In that case, you'll know that paying the medical fees was entirely necessary. However, midwives generally help to avoid complications that are common with hospital births, and are very aware of progress and potential issues because of their close, one-on-one, detailed care. My midwives were able to handle minor issues that we had in birth with no problem, and all come equipped with things like oxygen and medication to handle excessive bleeding. You also get two midwives for the birth itself so that there is someone to help the mom and someone for the baby in case of emergency.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#7 of 12 Old 01-05-2010, 02:49 PM

I could have written your exact post except our pregnancy wasn't planned. I'm self-employed, my husband has been laid off since last March and we lost our insurance. Private insurance is too expensive. Then surprise(!) I get pregnant. Between my income and his unemployment checks we make too much money for assistance (barely).

It's a good thing I'm a big believer in home birth. Just hope that the slim chance of needing to transfer to the hospital doesn't happen or else we're in big trouble.

Gayle, WAHM to Aaliyah (8/06) and Lorelai (5/10). Married to M. bfinfant.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg
#8 of 12 Old 01-05-2010, 03:55 PM

A birth center or homebirth is the most cost effective way.

OB's and hospital-based CNM's will run you about $1500-$2000 for their global fee (prenatal care, delivery, PP check-up) they are usually very good about setting up payment plans. Most require the balance to be paid by 32-36 weeks.
The hospital fee is where the really big bucks come in. They will also set up pre-payment plans based on a normal vaginal birth and many now require you pre-pay for an epidural (about $800) if you think you'll be getting one.

All in all, a hospital birth with an OB (and labs and 20 week ultrasound) with a normal vaginal delivery, an epidural, 24 hour stay and healthy newborn the total will come in somewhere around $8000-$10,000 give or take a couple thousand and can quickly go higher. Homebirth or birth center with a NSVB and healthy newborn will run you about $3000-$5000. If your wife has no pre-existing health conditions that would make her high risk (Type I or II diabetes, chronic hypertension etc...) I would seriously consider an out of hospital birth.

Karen, homeschooling Catholic mom to 8. #9 due 6/10
#9 of 12 Old 01-18-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw3 View Post
Hi

I live in the houston, texas/Sugar Land area in an apartment. We are 30 and planning for a baby. I am self employed, and do not have insurance.

I earn a decent amount 100K so i do not qualify for any assistance, and my wife does not work. I help out family so I pretty much have next to nothing saved. So we have no insurance right now, and all the insurance places charge a lot for selft emplyed.

I do not know what to do. How much does child birth normal cost, where to get aid? How can i negoitate with a hospital to get a better rate, i have 4-5 hospitals near by. I am totally confused and worried, so if you could help then it would be great of how to get started, without insurance.
I would definitely suggest a midwife or birthing center. My last pregnancy I went through a birthing center and with prenatal care and delivery my total cost was $4K. They also had payment plans for those who needed them.

Here are some birthing centers in the Houston area:

http://thebirthingplace.com/index.htm

http://www.nativiti.com/

If you want a more traditional delivery, you will have to work out a payment plan with the individual OB/GYN, many are open to this idea, and then with the hospital, who also allows for payment plans.
#10 of 12 Old 01-18-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw3 View Post
thank you so much for the suggestions. Also is there a risk for midwife?
You may want to go read studies on birth outcomes for normal pregnancies (no serious pre-existing health conditions like a PP mentioned) at hospitals vs at home with a midwife. I was, and to some extent, still am shocked that it's not actually safer to be in a hospital, it's such an embedded cultural belief without data to support it. There's quite a body of data out there on the topic, but it takes some reading and thinking for it to make sense.
#11 of 12 Old 01-19-2010, 12:35 AM

We used Nativiti almost 2 years ago for my daughter's birth. I think when it was all said and done it cost about $5K. We had small group insurance for our small business, but we had a $5K deductible, so we paid it all out of pocket, basically. They worked with us on a payment plan and we were able to pay a little at each appointment. We had it paid for by month 8. The whole staff there is really great. We are thinking of a homebirth for #2, but would use Nativiti again. We now just have individual insurance, and in Texas, there is no maternity coverage (riders are nothing but a waste of money) on individual policies, so we are basically in the out-of-pocket boat again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joates View Post
I would definitely suggest a midwife or birthing center. My last pregnancy I went through a birthing center and with prenatal care and delivery my total cost was $4K. They also had payment plans for those who needed them.

Here are some birthing centers in the Houston area:

http://thebirthingplace.com/index.htm

http://www.nativiti.com/

If you want a more traditional delivery, you will have to work out a payment plan with the individual OB/GYN, many are open to this idea, and then with the hospital, who also allows for payment plans.
#12 of 12 Old 02-07-2014, 05:33 PM

Hello All, 

I am working as an engineer in houston, we didn't plan for baby, and we believe that GOD has gifted us a baby. Now here comes the test we didn't have the insurance for my wife, as it is not our plan.

I believe Mid wife's option is a valid option at this point of time. I have some question. 

1. But we would also like to see how much it would cost if we want to get an insurance now, is there any option available now ?

2. How much it would cost us without insurance in the hospital, is there any support we can get from Government Institution's as social security or Medicare etc. I am an international not a citizen. Please help us in making a decision. 

We want to have the child land smooth and safe...

Thanks for the people in the forum... for information provided.....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page