Best Cesarean option in San Antonio? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-01-2010, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently relocated to San Antonio, and am still trying to get the lay of the land, medically. I'm juuuuust pregnant, and am trying to find out where the best hospital would be here for a respectful and naturally minded cesarean. I'm sure that sounds contradictory but I'm no longer in the running for a VBAC, and have grieved hard for my previous surgeries...I'm *told* that there are actually hospitals in the world that don't force separation from the baby during recovery, that don't look at you like some kind of freak for declining routine treatments, that even allow for initiating nursing - with husband's help - while they finish up things down south. Is there any hope of finding this here? And once I find the best hospital, of course, I'll need recommendations for an OB who is a crackerjack surgeon *and* respectful, sympathetic and "crunchy".

Thoughts?
#2 of 8 Old 02-01-2010, 11:54 PM

I know exactly what you are looking for here in SA. The only place to get the kind of service you are wanting is at St. Luke's Baptist Hospital in the Medical Center area. The group for this would be Lone Star Midwives with the Lone Star OB and Associates group (the "Associates" being the certified nurse midwives). Lone Star is a group of certified nurse midwives working with about 7 OBs in their practice. The CNMs and OBs work together in partnership to give you the best mother-baby friendly service via a hospital.

Even though you will be receiving a C-section, the Lone Star nurse-midwives can still do all your prenatal appointments (if you like) and will even assist the OB in the surgery room during the C-section. You will get the personal care you are looking for plus St. Luke's is really great for trying to keep baby with the mother after a C-section (even during recovery).

Here is their website:
www.lonestarmidwives.com

I have several friends who have had C-sections with Lone Star and these were "planned" C-sections just like you are needing. They all had wonderful service with the midwives/OBs and loved the hospital for keeping mother/baby together.

On a side note: I delivered my 1st baby with Lone Star midwives (vaginally though) and was super pleased with the midwife care/service.

Stephanie - Co-Leader of API San Antonio
Mommy to DD (4 years) and DS (18 months)
#3 of 8 Old 02-02-2010, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you SOOOO much for this info! I've gotten some good vibes about both St. Luke's and the Lonestar docs/midwives, and this confirms that. I'm grateful for the feedback.
#4 of 8 Old 02-02-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbonne View Post
I recently relocated to San Antonio, and am still trying to get the lay of the land, medically. I'm juuuuust pregnant, and am trying to find out where the best hospital would be here for a respectful and naturally minded cesarean. I'm sure that sounds contradictory but I'm no longer in the running for a VBAC, and have grieved hard for my previous surgeries...I'm *told* that there are actually hospitals in the world that don't force separation from the baby during recovery, that don't look at you like some kind of freak for declining routine treatments, that even allow for initiating nursing - with husband's help - while they finish up things down south. Is there any hope of finding this here? And once I find the best hospital, of course, I'll need recommendations for an OB who is a crackerjack surgeon *and* respectful, sympathetic and "crunchy".

Thoughts?
You want to stay away from Methodist. It is all pretty and spa-like but they have a reputation for keeping mothers and babies separated. I know doulas who refuse to attend births there now they are so NOT mother-baby friendly. Although I have had very positive experiences at the Children's Hospital I wouldn't birth there.
The 'crunchiest' hospital is probably St. Luke's. To the best of my knowledge it is the only hospital that does mother-baby nursing instead of PP nurse for mom and nursery nurse for baby. The only CNM's in the city that deliver, deliver there.
As for crackerjack surgeon and as crunchy as an OB can one would be Gail Vanwingerden at Riverwalk. She did homebirths way back when, is still pretty open to natural birth but from what I understand is a pretty skilled surgeon too. She is not warm and fuzzy, at all. Her schedule is over-crowded and you wait forever but she will respect your wishes ( I know this from experience, not rumor). She uses North Central Baptist. Nice hospital, decent nursery nurses, awesome NICU and neonatalogists. Dr. Wearden is just wonderful and extremely pro-breastfeeding. I can't recommend her highly enough.
I'm currently seeing Dr. Kuhl at Lonestar OB-gyn he is very sweet, mild-mannered and talkative. A lot of the 'crunchier' mom's who need an OB in SA see him. He uses St. Lukes and Methodist. I'm going to St. Lukes.

There is another group, all women OB's, Women Partners in OB-Gyn that I've heard a few people recommend but I don't have any details so I give that recommendation with hesitation.

Karen, homeschooling Catholic mom to 8. #9 due 6/10
#5 of 8 Old 02-02-2010, 06:36 PM

I see an OB at Women Partner's, Dr Vanover. She isn't taking any new patients though. I did deliver my LO with her, via CS, and she let me do delayed cord cutting and attempted to BF in the OR. That being said, I delivered at NE Baptist and it was a nightmare! Thankfully, they have since moved to NCentral Baptist, and they have a better reputation. If you are interested in Women Partner's, Dr Michelle Villa-Olvera did hypnosis for the delivery of one of her LOs and she was also very supportive of my desire to go natural (before I had to have a CS d/t transverse presentation). Good luck and welcome to SA~

Emily, happily married for 9 years, , Graeme 1/9/09, due 10/10, 8/07, and lovin' all over my 3 licky :
#6 of 8 Old 02-02-2010, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!
#7 of 8 Old 05-20-2010, 05:51 PM

I'm gonna ditto the Lonestar recommendation and St. Lukes. Its where I had my planned c-section with DD. It was a WONDERFUL experience.
I went with the midwives for prenatal care and Jan assisted when it was c-section time. She recommended Dr Jennifer Jacobs as my OB because she is such a skilled surgeon. I had a complete previa so my surgery was gonna be one of the more complicated/risky ones to prevent me from hemorrhaging. Dr Jacobs was amazing. The stay at St Lukes was also fantastic. The nurses were really awesome, my baby stayed with me the entire time, except when it was time for some blood test and my hubby went with her to the nursery to have that done. The lactation consultants are right there on the same floor and they were also awesome with helping us get started bf-ing. I only wish I had had this same kind of birth experience with my son but the entire thing was a nightmare (in another town).
#8 of 8 Old 05-31-2010, 09:38 PM

I also had a c/s with Lone Star at St. Luke's. Dr. Patrick Williamson was the surgeon. Had about as great a c/s experience as I can imagine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page