Feel the love ABQ! - Albuquerque Feb thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-04-2010, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the well wishes everybody. It's still hanging around, but I'm trying not to let it get us down. The gorgeous weather, sunshine and getting a little bit of fresh air in the backyard has helped.

And for rach - or any other adults with coughs - I have found that doing a sinus rinse right before bed, and also rubbing vicks on the soles of my feet then putting socks on to sleep in, does help some with the post-nasal drip and coughing at night. (I put the vicks on H's feet too, but can't do a sinus rinse on her yet. Instead I use saline drops in her nose, but have to do it a while before going to sleep because sometimes it makes her more stuffy for a bit.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2010, 01:51 AM

So far, I am fine. But the girls have ear infections. The beginnings of ear infections in 3 ears, one raging one in one ear. The cough is just a cough though, lungs are clear and everything else checks out fine.
Thanks for the Vicks advice.

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

Old 03-05-2010, 10:28 PM

Hope the girls are better quickly! Ear pain is awful
Old 03-05-2010, 10:55 PM

Ugh sorry Rach, I'm assuming you are doing all the ear tricks with garlic oil and stuff.

Glad you aren't getting down Peace

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
Old 03-14-2010, 01:12 AM

Did I really just see an ad for a new 3-D version of Clash of the Titans? Freaky!

Hey peace, did you ever get a FB account?

Just a modifiedartist.gif trying to find some peace and regain my balance.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:19 AM

crashing your very friendly tribe, hope you don't mind!

I'm tiffani, wife to mark, mom to lucy and dexter (10 and 8, un/homeschooled so far) and we're in the process of adopting two kids from Uganda. We are currently living temporarily in New Zealand, but are getting ready to head back to North America, and ABQ is one potential job opportunity for dh. We have been hoping to move to California, where all of my family is (dh is Canadian and we've been in Vancouver for the 10 years prior to our last 1.5 years in NZ) but the job market there is slim, and we're in a bit of a rush to move back to the US as NZ is not sure they'll let our adopted kids into the country when I go to get them (that part is a long story I won't go into. s). We have to finalize our adoption in the US anyway, and we don't want to delay going to get the kids by waiting for a job in california, so the job opportunity in ABQ is looking tempting...

I don't think it would necessarily be fair to raise two black children in a town where there are nearly no other black people (according to wikipedia's census information anyway) so I don't think we could make ABQ our permanent home, but we have some debt to pay off, and the incredibly cheap rent is appealing on that front!! after having been away for a long time, I'm so ready to be near my family and friends again, but ABQ seems like it might be 1) a smart financial move for us for a couple of years at least and 2) our only option, as we have to move to the US soon because of our adoption and 3) kind of nice in a deserty kind of way?

you guys seem friendly , tell me what you like and don't like about ABQ, how you think our multi-cultural family will be received, and what neighborhoods/areas we should check out or avoid. after living in vancouver and NZ, the lack of green in ABQ is freaking me out a little. it seems like a neat region, with lots to see nearby, but I thought I'd come straight to the ABQ tribe and see what's what!

thanks!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
tiffani - this thread is pretty dead during the school year so you may only get a few replies.

I have lived in ABQ my whole life. I love it here because it is super conductive to a crunchy life. It is a HUGE culture shock though for other people. It is dry and hot and the weather is weird and changes at the drop of a hat. There is a huge hispanic population and spanish is spoken everywhere so that is nice. There is a weird mix of people who have lived here for generations and recent transplants from everywhere (like half our playgroup) Life is more...slow? here.

There are a lot of parks and lots of fun things to do(museums etc). There is hiking and camping and fishing close to the city.

If you do move ask on this thread about the area of town. There are pockets of high crime areas right next door to really nice areas. A few blocks can make a huge difference in how comfortable you will be. There are places i feel totally fine (my dads neighborhood for example) where i dont think most people not from here would fit.

Overall i love it here and have opted out of many chances to move with dh's job because i love the food, the culture and my friends.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:52 PM

wow, I might be able to finally put my several years of spanish study to use! though I think I've forgotten most of it, having lived in canada and new zealand for the last 12 years. we went to mexico a few years ago and I was amazed at how quickly I could (badly) speak spanish again. that would be awesome for all of us.

I'm from chico, ca, so dry and hot is no surprise to me. are there places to go swimming -- rivers and pools and such?

I think financially, ABQ would be a good move for us -- though we have no idea what the job would pay yet, still waiting on that bit...

once we know more, I'll ask about neighborhoods to look at... I'm drawn to the rural outskirts, but it's much easier to make friends and participate in community in town. do you know anything about the homeschooling community there? the HS'ing laws seem good...

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

great for home schooling - lots of public pools (a little waterpark in a hotel just opened this week also) - some boating/fishing/river stuff but the better stuff is not in the city but a few hours out.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:08 PM

Welcome to the thread, Tiffiani! Good luck on the job front and also with your adoption! Hope it all works out for you! I moved to ABQ almost 6 years ago and really love it. It is strange at first to not have much green, but you quickly get used to it. There is something special about this area. If you know what area your dh would be working in, and if you are wanting to be closer to his work, we might be able to better help you with places to house hunt.

Blue - I'll pm you

Seeing as how we aren't quite as active on this thread as we used to be, and seeing as how we are still posting in the Feb thread - maybe we should start Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter threads instead?
Old 03-17-2010, 02:04 AM

thanks for the warm welcome!

today is a pro-albuquerque day, we waffle on a daily basis. a friend sent us an ABQ propaganda film, and it really does sound pretty awesome in a lot of ways. truly, if I weren't so looking forward to finally living near my family and friends in CA, I wouldn't think twice about living there. I have been worried about the kids we're adopting as well, being the only black kids around, but there was a black guy in the propaganda film and he loves it there and said it would be a great place to grow up, so that made me feel better. If we need to move in a few years, so be it, but the chance to actually own a home (my husband is in the film industry -- any Sony mamas here? -- and we're ALWAYS in the most expensive cities around) and have a bit of land or a pool or dogs or even horses or just some space of our own... pretty tempting!!

I think the Sony building is "downtown" somewhere... we'd likely just rent an apartment nearby until we found where we really wanted to be... is there anywhere we could live that's a little bit greenish, where we could have a bit of land, but within 20 minutes of downtown?

Old 03-18-2010, 03:40 PM

Tiffani, one think you'll come to appreciate about ABQ is how it doesn't take long to get around town. Almost everywhere is within 20 min of downtown. Seriously, even the furthest reaches of the city will be no more than 25 min - 30 min or so of downtown.

Forgot to add the greenish part. . .there are some sorta greenish parts around the river (Rio Grande), but those tend to be large lots with room for horses and other animals. The only real green part I can think of is in the North Mountains (on the other side of the Sandia Mountains from ABQ), like Cedar Crest. It's beautiful up there almost like another world. It's a straight shot on I-40 to get to/from downtown and while it will take more than 20 min or so, it shouldn't be too much longer. . .like 30 min maybe? I don't drive that way much so it's hard to say, but they've recently redone that stretch of I-40 and traffic now flows pretty smoothly through there. If you like green, that might be a good compromise.

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
Old 03-20-2010, 07:10 PM

thanks for the info! we're having fun looking at ABQ rentals and real estate (even though we're not in a position to buy... the cost of buying seems so much more in reach than everywhere else we've ever lived or considered living, so it's more fun to at least look) but still don't know what we're doing...

it's good to know what areas to look in though. anyone have a favorite area? we want a yard we can have a garden in, maybe a dog... grass would be nice. are there areas that are walking distance to downtown or funky areas with a library or pool or something fun with older homes, mature trees, etc?

Old 03-20-2010, 08:38 PM

Hi, welcome.

I have a nasty head cold so parden the foggyness. It's an intresting place to live, we are transplants and it was a MAJOR shock. I won't lie I still miss seasons, rain, grass, water..........

It is very much live and let live here, which is a nice draw for us. Your kids won't stick out any more than mine do (just in an opposite way).

Old 03-20-2010, 09:45 PM

Older homes, mature trees, funky area - that would be the Nob Hill area and surrounding area. It's really cool around there, but pricey. Worth checking out though because I know some people have stumbled on some good deals. But there are other pockets all over town. As Leila said, the biggest areas of trees and grass are along the river - Rio Grande and Los Ranchos areas. That's not to say you can't find a house with some grass and trees anywhere around town, they are just not as plentiful and probably won't be as "green" as you are used to. At the moment, I can't think of anything that's within walking distance to downtown. Don't know that specific area very well as far as housing goes.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:41 AM

Hello Ladies,
I have been living in the Abq area for almost 3 years now. I am originally from LI, NY and spent 1 year in Portland, ME and 9 years in Denver, CO prior to moving here. NM captured my heart & here is where I belong.
I'm 35 and TTC #1 as well as being a F/T student at CNM and caring for my myriad pets and partner.
I just wanted to introduce myself & start making friends.
~Michele
Old 03-21-2010, 04:09 AM

Welcome Granolafish and Tiffani!

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

Old 03-21-2010, 12:10 PM

Welcome Granolafish!
Old 03-21-2010, 06:37 PM

thanks so much for the welcomes!!

Old 03-21-2010, 11:12 PM

ok, you knew it was coming...

I don't really put much stock in these statistics, knowing that often crime is isolated to certain areas/demographics, and not necessarily indicative of a city as a whole, but what's all this I read about Abq having a high crime rate? It's not on any of the lists *I* can find, but then I read it's #3 in the US for crime? how do you ladies feel about the levels of crime there?

thanks again!!

Old 03-21-2010, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

like i said before it really is the specific area and small as it seems it is a big city with real crime.

living here over 30 years:
*i have never been mugged
*i have never been shot at
*i have never been carjacked
*as an adult i havent had a house broken into
*as an adult my car that i left on the driveway and not in the garage and with the outside lights out got broken into one night 6ish years ago.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:24 AM

I've been here 17 years and the only crime we've had happen to us are a car of our friends had his sound system stollen from in front of our house. Dh's house was robbed when he was a kid while he was out of town (his brother through a party, then went to work the next day and came home to an empty house) and a friends husbands mom had her car and purse stollen (but seriously, this lady left her keys and purse in her unlocked car on the street, just not smart!)

The crime stats are kind of scary, but like ASF said, they tend to be isolated to certain areas. I moved here as a 10-year-old from Los Angeles and I always felt much safer here as did my mom, who is one of the most over-protective people ever!

Mama of three.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-sorta-fairytale View Post
like i said before...
sorry, missed that part of your last post -- I guess I just assumed that most larger cities have their "high crime areas", and kind of glossed over it when you mentioned that. but then I read a few different things about high crime in abq, and thought I'd ask.

honestly I think abq looks really cool, and like a place we'd be very happy. I've just been so looking forward to living closer to family and friends that I'm having a hard time letting that go... I'm ready to settle long-term, but then I think of all the places I want to live and I wonder if we'll really ever settle long-term!

Old 03-22-2010, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post
sorry, missed that part of your last post -- I guess I just assumed that most larger cities have their "high crime areas", and kind of glossed over it when you mentioned that. but then I read a few different things about high crime in abq, and thought I'd ask.

honestly I think abq looks really cool, and like a place we'd be very happy. I've just been so looking forward to living closer to family and friends that I'm having a hard time letting that go... I'm ready to settle long-term, but then I think of all the places I want to live and I wonder if we'll really ever settle long-term!
i hope you didnt think i was being snarky
It just is really really variable here. The neighborhood i grew up in i would *NOT* have my kids live. My dads neighborhood is right in the ghetto but his block is great because they all look out for each other. My neighborhood isnt tight knit but there is no crime - mostly people really proud to have bought a home and trying to keep it nice iykwim.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:05 PM

Eh, I'm not any more worried here than other places.

The utility company tried to break into our yard about 4 years ago (stupid long story). They were "caught" 2 houses down, they were doing some sort of emergency thing in the middle of the night so basically everyone called 911 (like I said totally stupid). I also had my tail light hit by another car and it took off (when they were caught they denied it). Anyway that is the closest I've had to crime while living here. Pick a decent neighborhood and you should be as fine here as anywhere.

There are trade offs to living here just like anywhere you just need to decide if it's something you are willing to live with.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:18 PM

Hi guys!

Is there a March thread? I looked but it's possible that I just missed it.

It's getting warmer outside, are you guys planning to do anything fun in the next couple of weeks? We should be able to get to Abq a little more often once it warms up.

Thanks!

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:29 PM

no march thread, we've all been really distracted lately we'll probably have a park day or two in the coming weeks, but nothing is planned for now.

Mama of three.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-sorta-fairytale View Post
i hope you didnt think i was being snarky
no, not at all. I have learned over the years to never assume snark on MDC.

thanks so much for all the input! carry on with your thread, thanks for letting me hijack, and I'll pop back in when I know if we're moving there.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:15 PM

I agree with crime being in pockets. I've lived in ABQ for nearly 13 years and haven't been a victim of any crime, save for a guy trying to force his way one me on a blind date. But hey, that can happen even in the smallest of towns.

As a poor college student I lived in a pretty sketchy part of town where I was genuinly afraid for my safety after hours. This was a gated apartment complex, too. My suspicions were right when I came home one night to find the whole apartment entrance blocked off by the cops. . .apparently the security guard was murdered. Yikes!

But after that I moved to a better part of town and never felt unsafe. And then I moved again, to where I am now, and still feel very safe. When we bought this house I simply looked at the city's website where they have the crime stats for each beat and chose a beat with relatively little crime. Heck, just last night we managed to leave the garage door open when we left. When we returned several hours later, not a single thing was disturbed. We have plenty of stuff to steal in our garage, never mind the fact thta the door to the house was unlocked. And, uh, I'd be lying if I said that was the first time that has ever happened.

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
Old 03-25-2010, 01:47 PM

Hey, ABQ mamas!

I was wondering what you thought about the zoo/bio park memberships? $79 seems like a good deal, assuming we went more than a couple times. I just got a flyer in the mail, and started to fill out the online form but thought I'd ask here first. We had one in Denver and liked it (though we didn't go near as often as I assumed we would). Does it give any discount to the River of Lights? Probably not.

tiffani - I recall trying to research neighborhoods before we moved out here (I liked the forums at city-data.com), but for us, it was helpful to come visit and drive around, go to parks, cruise around at night - and just try to get a feel for the different areas. DH's cousin (who lives in Old Town) was helpful, too, since he already lived here. We actually ended up in Rio Rancho, even though DH works in NE ABQ., b/c it was where we could afford a big home w/half an acre (which was a big deal for us since we came from an apartment in Denver), in the neighborhood of the school I was liking the most (of course, they changed the boundaries after we moved, but it worked out for the best).

I can say I feel super safe here (much to my annoyance, DH left the garage wide open all night last night), but really, there is crime everywhere -- I know there are certain areas that are worse than others (you can see crime reports mapped online), and some streets people will say to avoid living on -- but that's almost the kind of thing you might have to live here for a while to figure out. Renting for a year is a great idea, so you can decide where to settle down in a community that fits. And of course, it's all relative to what you are used to.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.

User Tag List