What do you love about Texas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 03-01-2010, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I grew up in TX and really want to get DH onboard about moving back. He just complains about the heat and lack of outdoor activities (which is not true - the activities are just different than in the NW).

So, what do you love about living in TX?

If you could leave TX, where would you move to and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 03-01-2010, 05:47 PM

I love that the winters are fairly mild in comparison to other states.

The amount of pride that Texans take in their state is fairly neat as well.

Things I hate: fireants

I loved living in Colorado...fall was beautiful

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#3 of 26 Old 03-01-2010, 06:11 PM

I love the freedom to be a homebirthing, homeschooling hippie.

We have very lax laws when it comes to homeschooling, and we have a great many homebirthing midwives in the state. I like the weather though it is AWFUL for my allergies.

I would actually move to the PNW if I left Texas because I love the mountains and the climate (yes I really do like it).

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#4 of 26 Old 03-01-2010, 06:12 PM

I love the ease of homeschooling in Texas.

If I could move anywhere in the US? Oregon - rocky beaches and real forests <swoon>. Still, down here, the winters are generally mild, and that's nice. Also, we live in the Austin area, so we're surrounded by a lot of like-minded folks. That counts for a whole heck of a lot.

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#5 of 26 Old 03-01-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almadianna View Post
I love the freedom to be a homebirthing, homeschooling hippie.
Totally. We have Reasons of Conscience vax exemption

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#6 of 26 Old 03-01-2010, 07:07 PM

I'm really new to Texas, but so far I love the libraries, parks and recreation and the rumors of really excellent public education. I also loved the snow this winter
#7 of 26 Old 03-01-2010, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps4624 View Post
and the rumors of really excellent public education.
I'm not sure who misinformed you but we have one of the highest dropout rates in the nation...

Not to mention an extremely conservative board of education that is trying to warp the US history to their agenda- http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/14/ma...history&st=cse

OP- I'm a native Texan and I love it. There's so much history and access to parks anywhere you live. Texans are friendly (mainly) and the food is good too (TEXMEX ).

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#8 of 26 Old 03-01-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps4624 View Post
I'm really new to Texas, but so far I love the libraries, parks and recreation and the rumors of really excellent public education. I also loved the snow this winter
yeah sorry... but those rumors are just that.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#9 of 26 Old 03-02-2010, 11:12 AM

~I love the homeschooling as well.

~the pride that Texans have for their state

~I love the heat...and I love how mld our winters are..hate cold

~I love that considering how crappy our government is going, if we(texans) wanted to....we can become our own country.

~I love how country it is here, and then you can drive for 30 minutes and it's city

I would never move anywhere else
#10 of 26 Old 03-02-2010, 11:43 AM

If you're a Conservative then Texas is the state for you!

And yeah, the rumors of great public ed are rumors...There are only a few really good schools in the state (and one may be close to you so I can't judge)

#11 of 26 Old 03-02-2010, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ladies!

I think the schools can be quite good (as a graduate of one myself), but it can really vary so much. Just for fun, I know quite a few successful TX public school students. Harvard MBA, Stanford PhD, a few MDs, professional engineers, and a slew of successful lawyers. So - it can be done.

The food...I forgot about the food. If only DH liked enchiladas!

DH works long hours and my family is in TX and sometimes I just really need their support. Week after week of being the only parent 24/7 is hard, esp since I SAH. That alone isn't a good enough reason for him though.
#12 of 26 Old 03-02-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylove View Post

I think the schools can be quite good (as a graduate of one myself), but it can really vary so much. Just for fun, I know quite a few successful TX public school students. Harvard MBA, Stanford PhD, a few MDs, professional engineers, and a slew of successful lawyers. So - it can be done.
What part of texas are you specifically looking at? I can assure you that the schools are not what you went to when you were young. I too went to Texas schools and while I am what most would consider successful and have post graduate degrees and went to good universities I still would not call texas schools good. In fact I think I might be on the of the only people who have a degree past a bachelor's in my graduating class and I went to a good high school.

Of course I live in Houston, so YMMV if you are in another city of course. We are homeschooling because there is not a school in Houston that I am comfortable sending my kids to. Hence why I looooove how easy it is to homeschool!!

#13 of 26 Old 03-03-2010, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almadianna View Post
I can assure you that the schools are not what you went to when you were young.
This is absolutely true. I went to good public schools, but especially with the arts being taken out of schools and the widespread writing deficiencies, it's hard to say for sure that DD will have a good education. I had a REAL recess in elementary school, music class, hatched eggs into baby chicks, art class, etc. School was so fun; there was no TAKS (or whatever it is now) to stress us out. I didn't have homework until close to middle school. Things have certainly changed since then (and I'm only 28), my best friend's kindergartener has homework already. Ridiculous!

One other really awesome thing about Texas is it's festivals. We have music festivals, food festivals, etc. nearly year round. Here's a place to find them www.festivalsoftexas.com

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#14 of 26 Old 03-03-2010, 02:26 AM

I like the mild winters. I love the beautiful springs, even the thunderstorms. Especially the thunderstorms. Love those incredible fall days where the sky is a dome of clear blue. I know it's a joke, but I like that the Texas weather can change (sometimes dramatically) in a matter of days or even hours.

(I hate, Hate, HATE the intense heat of summer. Last year was the WORST ever. That's one time of year when the weather never changes.)

I like that the Austin area definitely leans more liberal than the rest of the state, and has more diversity in general, probably because of the universities.

I like that homeschooling is well-protected and easy.

I've lived all over Texas, and (when I was attending) the public schools varied wildly in quality. Some were excellent. Some were average (in spite of having loads of money). And some were terrible. The overtly conservative board of education can really muck things up, and has been doing so for more than 30 years.

The colleges can be good. UT is a world-class university. A&M is the place to go if you want to be a veterinarian. Texas Tech, well, Tech is really big on parties (there's little else to do in Lubbock).

If I were to leave Texas, where would I go? Pacific northwest springs to mind, but I would have concerns about the weather. My family lived in Alaska before I was born, and I might want to try it, but if Sarah Palin is any indication, I would have to really consider the political climate. Maybe I could live there just during July and August (when it's SOOOoooo hot down here).

I dislike that it is so very easy to hire someone as a "contractor" but treat them as an employee and not pay the taxes that would be due for employees. This has repercussions in all kinds of ways, including lower wages in many areas, shady businesses get ahead, etc.

By the way, it is Texas Independence Day today (March 2). I love the rich history of Texas, and the many cultures that are found in the region.

Love much of the food. Can do without chili and barbeque (I'm vegitarian). But, yum, gimme a cheese enchilada with verde sauce.

I like that there is so much variety in the land - from the Davis Mountains and Big Bend to the piney woods of east Texas, to the wind-swept high plains, to the grassland prairie. I wouldn't want to LIVE in some of those areas, but it's nice that we have so many places to visit.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#15 of 26 Old 03-03-2010, 06:47 PM

What types of outdoor activities is he thinking he'll miss? I live in Austin, and there are millions of trails for hiking and biking. Seems like there's a park in every neighborhood. There's always something going on--a kite festival this weekend! There are zoos and the wildflower center, outdoor concerts and movies, springfed pools, lakes, and public pools that are open for outdoor swimming year round. The outdoor stuff is one of the reasons I love it here!

I love that you can wear flipflops and sundresses about 10 months out of the year and that no one here knows what a snowbrush is. I love that the town pretty much shuts down if there is snow or a lot of ice. I love that the economy here is still relatively strong compared to a lot of the country. I love that everyone in Austin is so supportive of local businesses. I know this post is all about what I love about Austin instead of Texas, but after living a couple of other places in Texas, this is definitely my favorite area.

As far as the heat, he's got you there--but we have great air conditioning too!
#16 of 26 Old 03-03-2010, 08:03 PM

I moved back to Texas a couple of years ago from southern California. I love how housing costs are so much lower in Texas. In Austin, I feel like you get a lot for your money. People here are lovely.
#17 of 26 Old 03-03-2010, 08:18 PM

I love Lower Greenville in Dallas...did you guys hear about the fire? So much history lost. Not to mention amazing food. I'll always have the memories, I guess.

I miss Texas. I've been in Utah for 3 years. I miss the outdoor activities (where has your dh been? lol). We also spent a lot of time on the coast and going to state parks.

The state pride is amazing when you meet someone from Texas outside of it. It gives me strength
#18 of 26 Old 03-04-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
This is absolutely true. I went to good public schools, but especially with the arts being taken out of schools and the widespread writing deficiencies, it's hard to say for sure that DD will have a good education. I had a REAL recess in elementary school, music class, hatched eggs into baby chicks, art class, etc. School was so fun; there was no TAKS (or whatever it is now) to stress us out. I didn't have homework until close to middle school. Things have certainly changed since then (and I'm only 28), my best friend's kindergartener has homework already. Ridiculous!
I live halfway between Leander and Georgetown. My kids go to the Leander school district. We LOVE it. My oldest is in the 8th grade and we have been here since she was in first grade. This is one of the best school districts in the state if not the country. Arts are very much alive and well here. She was in art class all through elementary school, she also had music class, did the hatching egg thing etc. She had true recess every day. She loved elementary school. Now she is in junior high. She has had a slew of electives to choose from. She did choir in the sixth grade. She has had two years of spanish and that will count for a full highschool credit of language. There is yearbook staff, the newspaper staff, band, art, computer lab, theatre, cheerleading and dance to choose from among other things. She has been on the dance team for the last two years. This year she is an officer. It has been a wonderful experience for her. One of her teachers has a PhD and sat on the admissions board for Harvard. And regardless of what you hear I have not known any kindergartener with tons of homework. My oldest did not have much homework until this year. She is a straight A student, scores off the charts on the TAKs test and is currently in all the top classes. Her math class is a highschool level math class and has been for the last two years. She is doing more advanced math than I did in my freshman college class. She will also be attending the IB program in highschool. This program is only offered at 46 highschools in Texas. The school has to apply and meet the requirements of the IB program. You can read about it here: http://www.ibo.org/. Following highschool she hopes to attend Harvard or Yale.
So, just like anywhere you need to research the area and the school before moving there but we have been extremely happy with our kid's education and I think she is getting a far better education than her homeschooled peers.

Lisa
#19 of 26 Old 03-05-2010, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the different perspectives.

We lived in Austin pre-kids and loved it. The Eins ISD is the area we would look at. Unfortunately, the job opportunities are more limited in Austin than they would be in Dallas (my 2nd choice). I think parts of Dallas can be really nice.

I agree that there is so much to do outdoors, just not camping/hiking in the heat of the summer. He wants to be near the mountains.
#20 of 26 Old 03-08-2010, 05:21 PM

I'm in the NISD and as far as I can tell our schools are as good as my district in NY. Plus, Texas has the largest number of charter school in the country (read that once, don't have a source), and we have applied to one for ds.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#21 of 26 Old 03-13-2010, 08:29 PM

I LOVE Texas. I was raised in Alvin, Texas (home of Nolan Ryan... back then) and eventually moved to Louisiana (where my Hubby is from), then to Indiana, then back to Louisiana, and finally back to Texas! (AHhhh, full circle!)

I have found that every place has it's negatives. For example, Indiana has more mosquitoes than Houston (although, Louisiana had double that... lol!). Indiana also had tornadoes more often. Sure, we have to deal with Hurricanes here, but they are normally bareable.

I love being closer to my family and old friends. I love that I can live on the edge of a big city and a lot of country.

I love that there is beach land- even if it's not as pretty as Florida.

I love the diversity, different cultures, etc.

A lot of choices in midwives where I live (Houston area), and.. as someone mentioned, really relaxed laws on Homeschooling (YAY!).

There's much to love about Texas!

Christian Texan Mama to Merika (5/2005), Nolyn (1/2007), Keagan (UC baby 9/2007), Four miscarried lovelies, and sweet Evangeline Rose who arrived 9/7/2010 (home/water birth).  Expecting our fifth blessing March 2012! Viva la Vegan Pregnancy, my friends! 
Mandymom.com

#22 of 26 Old 03-23-2010, 01:05 AM

What?? No one has mentioned BLUE BELL ice cream!!! That has got to be at the top of the list!

Second maybe to playing outside all year round. We have mountains about a day's drive away. Enchanted Rock and surrounding rocks in Fredericksburg are great for hiking and views.

I can remember when I had to live out of Texas for awhile. I would love the feeling of crossing that Texas border. I would just start breathing deeper and I could not resist turning the channel to a Spanish speaking channel just for the music. I could not wait for some TexMex food.

I think that Texans are friendlier than most states too. I love the hispanic culture and sense of family. I miss that when I have lived out of state.

Good luck. I know Texas would be happy to have you back home.
#23 of 26 Old 03-23-2010, 01:51 AM
PPK

I love:

The cheap and good quality produce that's available all year round, also, the diverse selection at the huge Asian markets.

The weather for most of the year, but we leave for a portion of the summer!

Low COL.

No state income tax.

I dislike:

Those huge tree-roaches that are around in the warmer months. I swear I almost had a heart attack the first time I had a run-in with one of those!

The summer heat.

The traffic (Houston).

Serious lack of outdoor activities (Houston).

Conservative on the whole, but have found alot of cool friends despite that.

I'd consider CO again or TN/NC, but really need to be by the ocean. If we can ever afford CA or HI, we will!
#24 of 26 Old 03-23-2010, 08:06 PM

I'm glad someone finally mentioned no state income tax!! That might be pretty convincing for your dh, along with margaritas! My dh is from Kansas and I've never lived outside of Texas. He talks about the freedom here and the state pride. To me it's normal and I figured every state was like this, but I guess not. We have an interesting state history including being our own country!

And don't forget football! I love football and if your dh does too, there's plenty around. Great enthusiasm for sports here.

I don't recall exactly when, but I think Texas had like the 5th largest economy in the world. So definitely not as hard hit as many areas around the country.

Tons of golfing opportunities. Lots of hiking, cycling, climbing, water sports available.

There are also a surprising number of high quality museums, zoos and other cultural opportunities around the state as well.

Easy ability to homeschool and not vaccinate as mentioned before. I'm trying to think of things that might appeal to your dh with the above mentioned items. If he already liked Austin, what's his current objection?
#25 of 26 Old 03-24-2010, 08:33 PM

Things I Love:
No vax
Homeschooling
Homebirthing
Breastfeeding in Public doesn't garner much negative attention (in my experience)
Plenty to do outdoors
Mexican/Hispanic culture
Food

Things I hate:
The intense heat. Unrelenting, oppressive, and never ending. We were stuck inside almost all year because the ridiculously HOT weather made my dd and I physically ill.

DH and I both love the PNW. We ended up moving out of TX to West Virginia. It has everything we like about the PNW, plus my family is here. Mountains, GREEN, moderate weather year round (summer gets hot, winter gets snow, but neither is over the top), and just gorgeous.

We love TX. I miss TX. But I'm happy with the change, too.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#26 of 26 Old 03-30-2010, 11:37 PM

I love the cost of living and housing prices. Real people can buy homes without mortgaging their lives away or having to trade up several times to get into a family home.

I love the relative freedoms here. We're homeschoolers, and this is one of the best states to homeschool in from a freedom perspective, but there are also many homeschoolers, and so abundant resources out there as well.

As far as the public schools go- there are definitely some poor ones out there. But we've lived in two excellent school districts and have many friends who are parents, teachers or administrators who are serious about providing a good education for their children. We choose to homeschool for many reasons, including providing the best possible education for our own children, but I do think condemning all Texas schools is painting with too broad a brush.

The medical-model is alive and strong here, but nevertheless I've managed to give birth to three of my babies here with midwives and avoiding the systemic problems, selectively vax with no repurcussions (other than an occasional 'reminder' postcard from the state for our one son who we accidentally allowed to be on the books, so to speak), and am able to find holistic resources and organic foods without too much trouble.

People tend to be more live and let live here, which benefits all ends of the spectrum.

Aimee
~crunchy mama of four boys~

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page