Moving to Norman, OK when 7 months pregnant! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 03-15-2010, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband got a job at OU in Norman, and we will be moving in May when I'll be about 7 months pregnant with our first child. Neither of us have ever been to Oklahoma and don't know anyone there, and we have no idea what to expect, especially with our first child on the way. We're coming to visit for a week at the end of March, and I'll have lots of time and a rental car to check stuff out. There are a few things we'd like to know about:

Housing: What parts of town are family-friendly? We want to live fairly close to OU or on a bus-line since we have only one car. Good landlords or rental companies? How to find a single-family house for rent?

Birth options: I'd like a natural birth with a midwife, but don't think our insurance will cover a home-birth. I'm meeting with Leanna with the OU midwives in OKC when I'm in town. Anything else I should check out?

Any baby-wearing groups or trainers?
Any breast-feeding support groups?
Health-food stores, natural-food stores or food co-ops in Norman?

I'd love any info or ideas from locals!

Thanks,
Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-16-2010, 02:06 PM

Hello, from a fellow Obie! I am actually in Austin TX but my old college roommate is in Norman and used the OU midwives with her 2 children. I am pretty sure she would recommend them. Good luck with your move and hopefully more people will chime in to help you out! - sarah

SAHM to my beautiful girl(9/06) and boy(3/09).
#3 of 6 Old 03-17-2010, 12:29 AM

There is a yahoogroup you might check out. It's called OklahomaRadicalMothers. A LOT of the ladies on the group are from the OKC area (at least it seems to be that way).

Heather
Wife + Homeschooling Mama to 4 + Midwife

#4 of 6 Old 04-09-2010, 10:13 AM

I'm currently 8 months pregnant and working with the midwives at OU. If you are looking for someone who is very supportive of a natural birth as well as very hands off, I would go with Dusty at the same OU practice.

As for the Norman midwives, I have not heard stellar things about that group, nor the hospital there. Definitely contact the radical moms and the La Leche League to get additional feedback as I've only been here a year.

Good luck with your move and pregnancy!
Traci
#5 of 6 Old 04-15-2010, 04:39 PM

there are two health food stores, one on main the other just off robinson (can't remember names, but I think one is dodson's?) Finding homes for rent shouldn't be a problem down there not sure what areas are best tho. I really liked Leanna when I met her FWIW. There is a midwifery in norman if you wanted to do a homebirth. I have never heard anything good out of the hospital down in norman. Everyone I know who has given birth there has had a bad experience, very pushy, very by the book. There is supposed to be a good hands off ped down there too, if you search this forum there should be plenty mentions of him. Good luck!
#6 of 6 Old 04-16-2010, 03:40 PM

I love the OU midwives and think that you will enjoy meeting with them. One thing I will suggest, especially if you are seeking a natural birth is hiring a doula. Midwives and Obgyns come and go during birth, a doula can help you tremendously.

If you are interested in more information, here is a list of doulas in our area:
http://www.dacoinc.org/birthdoulas.cfm

Hope this helps!

CD(DONA) Birth Doula, Mama to a sweet little boy (4/08) and married to my soulmate.love.gif

We heartbeat.gif the family bed, birth advocacy, babywearing and breastfeeding my son until he outgrows the need.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page