Ped Experiences in San Antonio, Texas - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 03-25-2010, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We'll be switching our insurances soon and will need a ped! We're military so the circle is kind of tiny. I also don't think that Tricare covers ANYTHING even resembling natural doctors...

I'd love to find a doc that is no-vax friendly (or at least not hostile about it)

And, if you've had a horrid experience please let me know that too!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#2 of 18 Old 03-29-2010, 12:52 PM

Diane McMains or Bruce Lantry.

Lantry has extremely strict appt protocols.( ie. do NOT be late) but it keeps him on time and you out of the waiting room getting exposed to everything under the sun.

Both McMains and Lantry will not give you grief about not vaccinating and both are extremely pro-breastfeeding.

Karen, homeschooling Catholic mom to 8. #9 due 6/10
#3 of 18 Old 03-30-2010, 11:28 PM

I second McMains.

I hope your insurance covers her. If you don't get any other responses, you might check the San Antonio API message board. There are several military families there that might have recs for you.

Stephanie - Co-Leader of API San Antonio
Mommy to DD (4 years) and DS (18 months)
#4 of 18 Old 03-31-2010, 11:55 AM

I've been to McMains. We go to North Hills Family Medicine now. I've only taken ds once for an ear infection but they did not ask about vaccines. NHFM was a recommendation I received here; the office is essentially 'around the corner' from McMains.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#5 of 18 Old 03-31-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
the office is essentially 'around the corner' from McMains.
20 minutes, right?

My very best and dear friend lives in New Braunfels, and has informed me that in TX, around the corner constitutes as 20 minutes. hehe
#6 of 18 Old 03-31-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie64g View Post
20 minutes, right?

My very best and dear friend lives in New Braunfels, and has informed me that in TX, around the corner constitutes as 20 minutes. hehe

Generally, that is true but once you find it with your useless google map it's about 5 minutes.

If they would just take the traffic lights off 1604 and built overpasses where appropriate it wouldn't take so darn long .

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#7 of 18 Old 04-07-2010, 07:03 PM

We switched to Tricare Standard. All three of my kids, and I, see Dr. Earp at North Hills and have been satisfied with him.
#8 of 18 Old 05-20-2010, 05:40 PM

My whole family sees Dr. Earp at North Hills. They are fantastic!
#9 of 18 Old 07-14-2010, 12:29 AM

We see Dr.Dean Earp at North Hills Family Medicine for well-checks (no vaccines, so mostly getting weighed and measured )
For most things, we see Dr.Louis Esquivel, he's on the northwest side.

I've heard good things about Dr.Jeffrey Cannon (northeast side), but haven't been to him.
#10 of 18 Old 07-19-2010, 02:25 PM

Just a warning about North Hills Family Medicine. They are cracking down on families who do delayed/selective/no vax. We took DS to Dr. Geralde a few weeks ago for his 2 year checkup and they sent us away because we do a delayed/modified schedule. Dr. Geralde informed us that he changed his policy about it because he was the only one in the practice who allowed it and those children who are not on schedule have to get so many shots to start school. I told him that I am aware there is a philosophical waiver for public schools and he said "I don't do those." Which is funny, because the philosophical waiver does not require a doctor's signature. But I didn't stick around long enough to discuss that issue any further because it was clear that we were getting the boot.

Anyway, I do not know what they are doing with their (many) already established patients who they have been seeing who are not vaccinated or delayed/modified. But if you are new, don't waste your time like we did!

Anna ~ Mom to Ansel (6-17-08), Wife to Mac since 12-18-04, human companion to Cayley.
#11 of 18 Old 07-20-2010, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If they would just take the traffic lights off 1604 and built overpasses where appropriate it wouldn't take so darn long .
I hate the highways here. If you miss your exit it could be 5 miles until the next one and then another 2 miles to a turnaround.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#12 of 18 Old 07-20-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
I hate the highways here. If you miss your exit it could be 5 miles until the next one and then another 2 miles to a turnaround.
The access roads looked SOOOOOO WEIRD to me. Im like, dude??? Where are your EXITS?!?!
#13 of 18 Old 07-20-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
If you are in ranch country it's more than that!

And you're going to hate Germany if you get stationed there; it's usually 15 minutes to the next exit!

#14 of 18 Old 07-20-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna GS View Post
Just a warning about North Hills Family Medicine. They are cracking down on families who do delayed/selective/no vax. We took DS to Dr. Geralde a few weeks ago for his 2 year checkup and they sent us away because we do a delayed/modified schedule. Dr. Geralde informed us that he changed his policy about it because he was the only one in the practice who allowed it and those children who are not on schedule have to get so many shots to start school. I told him that I am aware there is a philosophical waiver for public schools and he said "I don't do those."

Anyway, I do not know what they are doing with their (many) already established patients who they have been seeing who are not vaccinated or delayed/modified. But if you are new, don't waste your time like we did!
Well, crap . He is our doctor but ds is six and has only been there a couple of times for an ear infection and a referral to a behavioral clinic; it probably helped that he was already in school--vaccines never came up.

Anyone know of one in the NW/Helotes area in case we get booted? I hate driving near 281 anyway.

#15 of 18 Old 07-20-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Anyone know of one in the NW/Helotes area in case we get booted? I hate driving near 281 anyway.
I have a personal recommendation for a Dr. Gideon at Helotes Pediatrics. Someone I know says she is fine with delayed/modified vax or in general whatever the parents want. I haven't tried them yet because DS won't need another checkup until next year and we have always managed his illnesses at home (thank goodness he's a strong, healthy guy!). So, if you try her definitely give a call to make sure they haven't had any recent policy changes, and then let us know how it goes!

Anna ~ Mom to Ansel (6-17-08), Wife to Mac since 12-18-04, human companion to Cayley.
#16 of 18 Old 07-20-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
: If they would just take the traffic lights off 1604 and built overpasses where appropriate it wouldn't take so darn long .
We live right by the dreaded Braun/1604 quagmire. They recently acknowledged that they need an overpass there, but they don't have the money for it. So they are adding a lane. Which is better than nothing, but with the swift rate of development out here, we'll be back where we started with traffic in no time.

#17 of 18 Old 07-21-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna GS View Post
We live right by the dreaded Braun/1604 quagmire. They recently acknowledged that they need an overpass there, but they don't have the money for it. So they are adding a lane. Which is better than nothing, but with the swift rate of development out here, we'll be back where we started with traffic in no time.
Is that with the Walgreens and Zion Church at the corners? I saw a new lane there Monday.

#18 of 18 Old 07-21-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Is that with the Walgreens and Zion Church at the corners? I saw a new lane there Monday.
Correct!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page