Non vaxing moms austin- please read - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-29-2010, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where do you take your kids for health care?

There are several threads in this forum that talk about who used to be in Austin and who people used to go to before they left, and who is good but doesn't take insurance. None of this really helps most of us looking that need to use our insurance on someone who is here now. But, who is around HERE and NOW that is ok with not vaxing? Are you happy with the care? Where do you take YOUR children currently? I don't really care if it's a pedi or FP doc.

I'm 25 weeks preg and have yet to find solid answers here on where to go once she is born.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Dana- wife to wonderful DH, and a non vaxed happy heathly 2 yr old!

#2 of 16 Old 03-29-2010, 05:10 PM

I am looking for a pedi who is open-minded to non-vax and delayed vax. We're still doing our research on what we want done as far as the vaccinations. So I'm looking for a pedi who would help inform us on the pros and cons of certain ones. Also, we are not circumcising Merrick and don't want to feel that we have to be forced into doing it either. I am 28 weeks pregnant and really need to start getting these things in order. And since we just moved here, I'm feeling REALLY lost.

Gina: Wife to BrandonMommy to Azlea Noel 1-7-04, Valerie Raelle 9-28-05 and Merrick Lux born 5-29-10. S/m to Riley 6-27-02[/COLOR]
#3 of 16 Old 03-30-2010, 06:04 PM

ramona lopez at south austin pedi will support no vax. her staff will still ask you about it every time.
we use kristy heatly, d.o. in georgetown. she is totally fine with our not using vax.

mom to four lively children. birth and postpartum doula. midwifery student. choosing to enjoy life. :
#4 of 16 Old 03-30-2010, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I delay and selective vax (my 9 month old has had 2 shots) and we go to Seton Clinic (s. 1st st.). They do everything I need them to do and tolerate my choices. We have medicaid/chip and I am not likely to have a doc that will be warm, fuzzy or fabulous or spend time going over pros/cons/options. I go in there and tell them what I want done at that visit. I have a pretty good idea of what they are paid for our visit and they spent much time with us they wouldn't be able to keep their doors open. I think the time of the "family doctor" or wonderful pediatrician is passed...at least for the moment. I always seem to get the care that we need though. I just go in their friendly, nonconfrontational, and firm and I don't invite debate or discussion. I also do some occasional nodding, smiling, dismissing.
#5 of 16 Old 03-31-2010, 12:28 AM

both drs I posted will take medicaid....not that the clinic is bad if it works for you.

mom to four lively children. birth and postpartum doula. midwifery student. choosing to enjoy life. :
#6 of 16 Old 04-01-2010, 06:34 PM

We do delayed vax with Dr. Hargrave at Pediatric Associates in Central Austin. He is totally fine with our decision and was recommended by several friends on the delayed vax issue.

www.pediatricassociates.net

-Julie
#7 of 16 Old 04-01-2010, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the recs! Anyone know someone closer to north Austin? I'm willing to travel, but we're out in Steiner and closer would be better. Thank you so much ladies!!!!

#8 of 16 Old 04-09-2010, 12:43 AM

I know you are looking for someone in north Austin, but if we moved I would still drive down south to see them. Good luck!!!

We love, love, love South Oaks Family Family Medicine (next to Seton Southwest Hospital). Dr. Cox is amazing. The wholes staff there is great (doctors, nurses, P.A., N.P.). We no longer vaccinate at all. Dr. Steigler did give me her opinion about our 12 month old needing his DTP, but she didn't push it when I told her that I appreciated her sharing her opinion with her and then moved on. Dr. Cox is so respectful of a parent's right to choose if they will vaccinate or not. Even if you choose to vaccinate he will tell you which shots he thinks are unnecessary. They never push meds unless they think it's really necessary.
We used Dr. Woods at ADC South until we started researching vaccines and she did not take well to us questioning her medical authority.
Did I mention that we love Dr Cox and his practice? I also love the fact that since they are a family practice the whole family can see them. Oh, another added bonus is that since they are family practice the waiting room is not full of sick kids. I felt like every time my kids went to the pediatrician before for a well child visit they would get sick a few days later. They take Chip but not Medicaid.
#9 of 16 Old 05-06-2010, 06:45 PM

I live in Houston now but lived in Austin from 2004-2008 and saw multiple pediatricians. I saw Dr. Cox for a while but didn't like having to wait 2 hours at EVERY visit to see him.

Right before moving from Austin, we found my dream doc, Valerie Wheelock at Barton Creek pediatrics. She was totally fine with us not vaxing at all, using chiro and other alternative treatments, and knew the proper care (leave it alone!) of an intact penis. She herself is a vegetarian and her sister had 2 homebirths. All the non-vax friends I've referred have adored her as well. I've also heard good things about a family prac doc near Round Rock named Ehrin Parker.

I'm still looking for someone I love as much as Dr. Wheelock here in Houston and I've even considered driving to see her for well-checks each year.
#10 of 16 Old 05-07-2010, 04:01 PM

we see dr ferrell at the austin regional clinic in hutto. i like her. she is very mainstream- but also very respectful of our decisions (including not vaxxing)
#11 of 16 Old 05-07-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthemanna View Post
we see dr ferrell at the austin regional clinic in hutto. i like her. she is very mainstream- but also very respectful of our decisions (including not vaxxing)
We see Dr. Soon-Yi Kim (DO, family practice) @ the Scott & White Clinic (is this the same as Austin Regional?) in Hutto. She is young, also very mainstream, but very sweet, easy and quick to see you. I've always been able to get DD in same-day if necessary. While she does suggest vaxing and doesn't necessarily support BFing beyond 1 year, she does respect my decisions. DD is delayed/selectively vaxed.

My mantra (which I stole from someone where) when I take her in: doctors for medical advice, parents for parenting advice....

#12 of 16 Old 05-07-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post
We see Dr. Soon-Yi Kim (DO, family practice) @ the Scott & White Clinic (is this the same as Austin Regional?) in Hutto. She is young, also very mainstream, but very sweet, easy and quick to see you. I've always been able to get DD in same-day if necessary. While she does suggest vaxing and doesn't necessarily support BFing beyond 1 year, she does respect my decisions. DD is delayed/selectively vaxed.

My mantra (which I stole from someone where) when I take her in: doctors for medical advice, parents for parenting advice....
it's a different clinic- but they are close nearby each other. dr ferrel said my son is a "lucky guy" when i told her we planned on breastfeeding until at least 2 years
#13 of 16 Old 05-13-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthemanna View Post
it's a different clinic- but they are close nearby each other. dr ferrel said my son is a "lucky guy" when i told her we planned on breastfeeding until at least 2 years
Hmm, maybe I should switch to her! I like Hutto b/c of its proximity to my house and DD's daycare. Much easier to get in and out than dragging her in to P-ville or Austin. And the hippos everywhere make me smille.

ETA: I just called and they don't accept our insurance (Tricare Prime).

#14 of 16 Old 05-13-2010, 11:55 PM

We go to Ehrin Parker and she is actually anti-vax and does not even keep them in her office. She is a D.O Very nice lady.

SAHM to my beautiful girl(9/06) and boy(3/09).
#15 of 16 Old 06-06-2010, 08:11 PM

i go to kangos pediatrics & they just had me sign a waiver for No vax

*Courtney*
#16 of 16 Old 06-07-2010, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond to this. It's all incredibly helpful!!!!! I will definitely go with one of the recs.

Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page