Ob/Gyn Needed -Houston - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-01-2010, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After waiting an hour and 30 minutes for a new patient examination, I put on my clothes and left. I have never waited over 15 minutes to meet with an OB/GYN.

If you know of an ob/gyn with a small practice, limited wait times and a friendly demeanor, please share their name and contact information. I am not a candidate for a vaginal delivery, so I am okay with a pro-cesarean physician.

+ + =
#2 of 11 Old 04-02-2010, 01:22 AM

Good for you! I hope they took note!

I recently met with Dr Mahan at Northeast Hermann Memorial. I met with him for business purposes but he was very friendly and really took his time. Many patients of mine have really like Dr Biscette. She and Dr Mahan share a practice.
#3 of 11 Old 04-02-2010, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmomof8 View Post
Good for you! I hope they took note!

I recently met with Dr Mahan at Northeast Hermann Memorial. I met with him for business purposes but he was very friendly and really took his time. Many patients of mine have really like Dr Biscette. She and Dr Mahan share a practice.
Thank you. I will add both doctors to my list.

+ + =
#4 of 11 Old 04-02-2010, 04:00 PM

Not sure what side of town you are on, but I have a cesarean scheduled with Dr Peggy Taylor in Clear Lake (she seems pretty mainstream, but like you, I don't mind that for this birth). I really liked her, she didn't bat an eye when I declined Flu and h1n1 vaxes and asked if we'd be circ'ing and we told her no.

She's very friendly and personable and so is the staff. The wait wasn't much either. She even had to run across the street to the hospital to help with a c/s and wasn't gone but about 20 minutes (between seeing the nurse and her coming in is when she ran over there).

If I were planning something more natural I don't think I'd love them as much as I do but they are just so sweet and personable and open to listening to me which I really appreciated. I actually walked out on on another Dr around here because I was ridiculed and bullied for declining the vaxes. Dr. Taylor also encourages partners and children to come to your visits, that was a huge plus for me as the first one I saw had a no children policy.

Oh and she asked if I wanted an u/s! I thought that was shocking.

Good luck in your search! Its a hard one for sure.

Kelly, wife to J and mama to our precious A, HE'S 5! and the parasite will emerge on or before Sept 24, 2010!
#5 of 11 Old 04-07-2010, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I hear good things about Dr. Hector del Castillo, though that's mostly in terms of looking for a VBAC. He seems to be an excellent doctor, though, for those who need an OB.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#6 of 11 Old 04-07-2010, 07:08 PM

I recently heard a really good review about Dr Michelle Blackwell at the Clearlake Hospital. You might want to try her.
#7 of 11 Old 04-09-2010, 02:48 PM

Another recommendation is Dr. Beth Files at Clear Lake Regional.
#8 of 11 Old 04-09-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidanraynesmom View Post
Not sure what side of town you are on, but I have a cesarean scheduled with Dr Peggy Taylor in Clear Lake (she seems pretty mainstream, but like you, I don't mind that for this birth). I really liked her, she didn't bat an eye when I declined Flu and h1n1 vaxes and asked if we'd be circ'ing and we told her no.

She's very friendly and personable and so is the staff. The wait wasn't much either. She even had to run across the street to the hospital to help with a c/s and wasn't gone but about 20 minutes (between seeing the nurse and her coming in is when she ran over there).

If I were planning something more natural I don't think I'd love them as much as I do but they are just so sweet and personable and open to listening to me which I really appreciated. I actually walked out on on another Dr around here because I was ridiculed and bullied for declining the vaxes. Dr. Taylor also encourages partners and children to come to your visits, that was a huge plus for me as the first one I saw had a no children policy.

Oh and she asked if I wanted an u/s! I thought that was shocking.

Good luck in your search! Its a hard one for sure.
OT....Kelly! Your pregnant! Congratulations! Did I tell you my dd had an oops? She was born in January. Beautiful natural birth with a different mw.

Back ON topic...

I also recommend Dr. Hector Del Castillo. It's true he is VBAC friendly, but he is more than that. I have never had to wait more than a few minutes to see him. Everyone in the office is kind and considerate, including the dr himself. He's very nice. Great bedside manner and I wouldn't hesitate to use him for a planned c-section.
#9 of 11 Old 04-12-2010, 12:30 PM

I am happy with Hector Del Castillo.

One of the reasons I left my previous OB was insane wait times and cancelled appointments.

I might have waited as long as 30min for Dr del Castillo, but a typical wait was 5-10min. The one time that he had to leave for a birth (he's a solo practioner, so you've got to expect some unscheduled absences!), they suggested that if I wanted to wait I could leave and they'd call me when he was back. He was back in the time estimated and we had walked over to Hermann Park to play for a bit so the time passed quickly.

While he does VBACs, he's not anti-c/s.

Oh, and the first time I met him I was fully clothed and met in his office before moving to an exam room. There's a lot to be said for waiting with your clothes on.
#10 of 11 Old 04-22-2010, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

I will contact doctor Del Castillo. He and Dr. Herrera in Sugar Land seem to have a great reputatio.

+ + =
#11 of 11 Old 04-23-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nannysbaby View Post
OT....Kelly! Your pregnant! Congratulations! Did I tell you my dd had an oops? She was born in January. Beautiful natural birth with a different mw.
Aw thanks!

Oh how neat, congrats to you all! I bet C is thrilled to have a sister!

Kelly, wife to J and mama to our precious A, HE'S 5! and the parasite will emerge on or before Sept 24, 2010!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page