Homebirth in San Antonio?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 05-15-2010, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd love a list of the best (and, if necessary, the worst) of the area!!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#2 of 27 Old 05-15-2010, 04:28 PM

I have not used any of the midwives there, but as a nearby midwife I can tell you some things. Holly Manzanara and Alicia Voss are highly recommended. I do not recommend Stacy Lewis and would avoid her. PM me for more details if you like.
Changed likes this.

Comforts of Home Midwifery

#3 of 27 Old 05-18-2010, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockportmidwife View Post
I have not used any of the midwives there, but as a nearby midwife I can tell you some things. Holly Manzanara and Alicia Voss are highly recommended. I do not recommend Stacy Lewis and would avoid her. PM me for more details if you like.
I live in north Austin and just recently became a midwife myself. I trained under several midwives in the San Antonio area and I agree with rockportmidwife. Holly Manzanera has recently moved out of state though. Alisa Voss is wonderful!! Also, Salli Gonzalez is a good midwife. You should also avoid Amber Clarkson. You can PM me for details as well.

Lisa
Changed likes this.
#4 of 27 Old 05-19-2010, 10:03 PM

try:
http://www.sanantonionaturalparenting.com/

the mom who runs the site is a friend of mine, she has had her last three babies at home. Neither of us are far from Randolph AFB.

Karen, homeschooling Catholic mom to 8. #9 due 6/10
#5 of 27 Old 05-23-2010, 12:43 AM

I'm a little north of you, but I do now that the MW I used will sometimes serve the SA area (wouldn't ever work for me- fast labors).

Can you give us more details of what you're looking for? CPM/CNM/doesn't matter.

Congrats on #2

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#6 of 27 Old 05-23-2010, 12:51 AM

I'm a midwife apprentice here in the SA area. I could also give you additional recs if you wanted. PM me. Otherwise, I second all that has been said here.
#7 of 27 Old 05-24-2010, 04:23 PM

I recently had a home birth through the San Antonio Birth Center. While there, I worked briefly with Alisa Voss, Samantha Evans, and Robin Rabenschlag. Robin ultimately attended my birth. I would recommend all 3.

Bed sharing, baby wearing, breastfeeding mama of Vonn (dob 12/9/07) and Reuben (dob 7/17/09).
#8 of 27 Old 06-02-2010, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Subbing, because I'm moving to San Antonio next year and I'm studying to be a midwife. Good info.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#9 of 27 Old 07-01-2010, 11:07 AM

Joani Koenig is my midwife. She works out of the Family Birth Center. She is so warm and kind. She was a doula for 20 + years, which helps. I like her a lot.
#10 of 27 Old 07-01-2010, 03:13 PM

I'm not super-familiar with San Antonio midwives, but I have friends who have had great experiences with Sam Evans.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#11 of 27 Old 07-01-2010, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

I went with Salli because she offered us the best deal...She's nice and seems a bit hands off, which I like.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#12 of 27 Old 07-14-2010, 12:16 AM

I'm interested in the responses too. I interviewed a midwife (here in SA) while I was pregnant with baby #3, but I didn't feel comfortable with her. So I decided to continue with my ob (who is laid-back about things, wish the hospital was too!)
#13 of 27 Old 11-21-2010, 09:15 AM

I had Alisa Voss (secondary, Holly Manzanera was there as well) at my previous birth and will have her again as my primary this coming Spring!

Alisa was WONDERFUL and I'm hoping her other three midwives are great as well. I trust her judgement so it's just a matter of personality fit. I've met Salli Gonzalez and she seemed pleasant, but I've only had one appointment with her. I may or may not choose her as a secondary midwife.

I liked the student midwife also.

Good luck!

#14 of 27 Old 11-21-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgetown HB Mom View Post

I live in north Austin and just recently became a midwife myself. I trained under several midwives in the San Antonio area and I agree with rockportmidwife. Holly Manzanera has recently moved out of state though. Alisa Voss is wonderful!! Also, Salli Gonzalez is a good midwife. You should also avoid Amber Clarkson. You can PM me for details as well.

Lisa

Salli Gonzalez is an absolutely AMAZING midwife and I too am not a huge fan of Amber.

Salli's website is www.empowermentbirthing.com

#15 of 27 Old 12-23-2010, 07:36 PM

Very useful information! Thank you so much for sharing! We are pregnant with baby #6 and will be in TX at the end of the month. We are looking forward to a home birth and a great midwife. I found the website for Salli, but not Alisa. Also, why would you moms not recommend Stacy or Amber? Your help would be very appreciated!!

#16 of 27 Old 12-23-2010, 08:31 PM

I live in the Austin area, and I used Kristen Elliott with Moms & Miracles. She lives in Kyle and can do births in the SA area. She is WONDERFUL! I cannot say enough good things about Kristen! I switched to her practice at 24 weeks, and I had such great prenatal care and a truly amazing waterbirth! I was using Hypnobabies, and I wanted a midwife who was calm, soft-spoken, and who I felt could help create a positive but calm and relaxing environment for the birth, and that's exactly what I got.

#17 of 27 Old 12-27-2010, 08:56 AM

Alisa Voss is at www.birthcentersa.com

Stacy Lewis seemed pleasant in person but there wound up being some issues that made me uncomfortable. I think you will get more info if you PM people.

#18 of 27 Old 01-05-2011, 02:46 PM

Just like AFWife, I will be going with Salli. She is offering us the best price and have read nothing but good things about her. Salli is including everything, even the birth tub rental, for half of Alisa's fees. We are so excited about this home birth!

#19 of 27 Old 06-28-2011, 01:14 PM

Please, please please do your research about the midwife you choose.

You can go here: http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/midwife/mw_enforce.shtm to see formal complains that have been filed with the Texas Board of Midwifery.

Some of the aforementioned CPMs were noted as not transferring their clients in a timely manner. Since that is the key to a "safe" homebirth, please please run for the hills if the midwife you have chosen is on that list!

And talk amongst the women here and in your natural birthing community. If you are going to choose a CPM (minimal training required) instead of CNM (has actual university education) please choose someone who is trustworthy and smart. And by trustworthy I don't mean someone who merely "trusts birth". We need to do what we can to get rid of the bad apples of the CPM community.

#20 of 27 Old 07-25-2011, 04:32 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

bubblebrook, I have removed six of the ten posts you have made to different discussions - including one to this thread - because you are promoting your midwife in them. Please refrain from such posting or you may lose your posting privileges. 

#21 of 27 Old 07-28-2011, 04:50 PM

I interviewed two midwives preconception. One in Austin, loved her, but we both questioned the distance as I'm in New Braunfels. I also interviewed Amber at the Birth Center here in town.

I had someone refer me to Samantha Evans, and that's who we're with now. It was nice being able to talk to someone that had used her.  My husband loves her too, which was extremely important.

ETA: Research from that state site, and google tell me the Amber I interviewed is the same mentioned, although I know her by a different last name now.

#22 of 27 Old 02-23-2012, 11:44 AM

I know this is an older thread, but I just came across it and wanted to put in my two cents worth regarding Stacy Lewis for anyone else looking for a trusted midwife.  She was one of my midwives, and I would NOT use her again. 

During my second birth (first vbac) she stripped my membranes and then broke my water when I was only 1 cm.  My contractions came on super hard after that and four hours later my baby was born.  I hemorrhaged, I believe due to her unnecessary interventions.  I felt like she was in a hurry to get the birth over with (thus the interventions) and I felt as if she rushed out after the birth as well.  She never once called me during the pre-natal period or post-partum.  I left messages, but she never returned my calls.  The other midwife that worked with her at the time, Joi Brock, promptly returned all of my calls and since I wanted & trusted Joi as my midwife, she was the only reason I continued working with Stacy during my pregnancy.  I have also heard from others that Stacy may use something on her gloves during cervical exams (without anyone knowing) to artificially induce mommas.

Joi has since, wisely, parted company from Stacy after recognizing Stacy's questionable practices.  I had Joi along with Janet Dirmeyer at my second home birth and I would highly recommend either of them.

#23 of 27 Old 03-05-2012, 04:23 PM

I totally ditto all what last mamma said f rom Stacey Lewis, she is a DANGER for the homebirthing community. She took advantage that it was my first birth and first of all she mademe start pushing when "i reached 10cm" or so, she said, then she scratcjed my vaginal wall with hel long acrylic nails, then she stripped my membranes saying that she was going to brek my bag of waters all this around 10pm I was pushing since then til around 10am that she finally said we might start getting ready to go to the hospital...we arrived there around 1300 just to figure out later that I have been 8cm all night. She dissapeared w some lame excuse five minutes after we arrived to the hospital and didnt hear from her in three days amd because I totally called non stop because I needed my prentla records. Please avoid this evil creature that could have killed my baby and gave me a half way prolapsed bladder wall. My bladder was coming out from vaginal hole since I pushed for so long...greensad.gif
#24 of 27 Old 03-29-2012, 08:45 PM

I'm interested in responses, too.

#25 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 06:34 PM

I'm definitely planning my next birth at home. I'm in the military so I have to save up since its coming out of pocket.
#26 of 27 Old 12-04-2012, 11:11 AM

I would also recommend Janet Dirmeyer and Joi Brock, both of whom attended my second birth. They opened a birth center this year in SA.
#27 of 27 Old 01-09-2013, 02:42 AM

I'm going to see Janet Dirmyer today! I've only heard wonderful things about her!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page