Dallas families: Your resource recommendations for "pro_crunchy" mother of newborn - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-22-2010, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My good gf lives in Dallas and just gave birth to a little sweetie We can't get up there to support her and the fam directly ( who had a return to the hospital soon after birth0 so I am researching resources in the Dallas /North Dallas area.
Can y'all who are pro-natural family/crunchy/think-outside-the-lines Ma's please type out some good resources for her to have on hand? Local resources needed:
#a pro-nursing, well-informed on bf'ing good pediatrician/ob gyn
#a baby wearing group so she can use the wrap we got her,
#some nursing/bf'ing support and the cheapest place to get a pump
#stolres that are useful

anything else that y'all think is a must know for the DFW area.

Thanks fahead of time for the solidarity :-)
#2 of 8 Old 06-24-2010, 04:42 AM

Well, it's been almost 2 yrs since we lived there, but we had the greatest family doctor ever. Dr. Daniel Chartrand. He's up in McKinney. I don't know where your friend is but he is worth the drive. Very pro-natural, pro-breast-feeding, friendly to non-vaxing. Very gentle and good with kids. He also has an ultrasound machine in his office for mamas who want to just birth at home, etc, and he does acupuncture as well.

I don't know about a good babywearing group but I'm sure she could easily find one. If she contacts the Allen Birthing Center they may have some information. She also might just google it.

Cheapest places for a pump. I'm not sure. I got mine from the hospital when I gave birth, but it certainly wasn't the cheapest. Babies R Us does sell them, I know that.

Best wishes for your mama friend.
#3 of 8 Old 06-25-2010, 02:25 PM

The Allen Birthing Center would be a good resource for information about all of these things.
#4 of 8 Old 06-28-2010, 01:07 AM

There is also a Birth Center in Dallas she can contact as well as LLL that is pretty active. There used to be a store that had babywearing classes but they closed. Dr Bain in Frisco is "the" crunchy doc of choice.
#5 of 8 Old 06-28-2010, 11:36 AM

It's hard to find a ped that is also really expert in nursing. Also if she has insurance and doesn't want to pay extra out of pocket that can be challenging.

Dr. Deborah Bain in Frisco is on most insurances. She's an MD that is 100% holistic but not particularly AP. She is very very pro-breastfeeding but definitely not a lactation consultant. She will do vacs if you want but recommends that they be slowly and minimally. She also doesn't overtreat problems with drugs and is very laid back about differences in opinion. She gives advice in the knowledge that she is one of many sources.

LLL of Dallas has their monthly meeting this Thursday evening at 7. The women who run it are so nice and helpful! They are an oasis of breastfeeding information and support:
http://lllofdallas.org/Site_5/Series_Meeting.html

Lac Consultant: Linda Worzer seems well-respected. I liked her well enough.

DFW Babywearing Yahoo Group (also have a Facebook page)

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#6 of 8 Old 07-01-2010, 01:20 PM

I just want to second the rec for Dr. Bain. Both she and her NP Christy are fabulous and I would rec them to anyone!
#7 of 8 Old 07-01-2010, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know it's not on your list, but Vicky Gettle (sp) is an absolutely amazing IBILC. Just call up allen presbytarian and ask for vicky!

I've been looking for a BW group up here and haven't found one.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#8 of 8 Old 07-07-2010, 01:35 AM

babywearing group for the dallas area
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DFWbabywearing/

or DFW babywearing on facebook

Ricki (36) wife to R (35), mommy to 6 year old DS and baby girl born April 24, 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page