"Vaccine Friendly" Pediatricians in Tyler TX or East Texas Area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-12-2010, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know of a vaccine friendly pediatrician in the Tyler, TX area or East Texas area? We delayed vaccinating our son and daughter and now need to get a physical for them to prove they are healthy for them to start daycare/preschool (since I went back to work). We need to find a pediatrician that is ok with our choices regarding what vaccines we choose to give or not give them. Thanks in advance!!

P.S. Our daycare center requires us to get a notarized copy of our right to choose not to vaccinate by choice of conscious. That is easy. The tough part is finding a pediatrician that will see them since we choose not to vaccinate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 05:11 PM

Welcome to MDC!! I think you'll get more help in the Finding Your Tribe forum, so I'll move this thread there for more local input.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Old 07-31-2010, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

An update on this...

My midwife gave me the name/info on a pediatrician who is supposed to be ok with not vaccinating. Her info is:
Dr. Kathleen Moore
Appletree Pediatrics

I haven't been in with our kids to see her yet. But, from what my midwife says, several of her clients use her because she is ok with them not vaccinating.

Also, in case this is a better fit for some people... Rene McCarty at the Lifetime Health Center is in Family Practice. She has been our doctor for the last 2 1/2 years because she was ok with me not vaccinating and she has a flat office visit fee of $50. We didn't have insurance until recently and so it was very affordable to go see her when one of the kids got sick. Her info is:
4290 Kinsey, Ste 200
Tyler, TX 75703
903-534-0773

Now that we have insurance, it won't cost us anything if we go to a doctor in network. Unfortunately Rene McCarty doesn't take insurance and so I will have to go to a different doctor or chose to pay the $50. I might pay the $50 though. She is really good!!!

Hope this helps someone out there
Old 12-10-2010, 05:56 PM

Also in Nacogdoches Dr Aaron Polk is a family dr who doesn't do vaxing (even if you want it, he sends you somewhere else)!

Supporting natural birth and breastfeeding in the Piney Woods~
Old 05-16-2011, 10:55 AM

Amanda: Christian, wife to musician DH since 2002, mom to intact & vax free "monkey" DS1 since 12/21/06, and "lovey" DS2 5/17/10! WINNER OF THE GOLDEN BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC!
Old 05-20-2011, 08:24 AM

Thank you for posting this!  We just moved back to Tyler for the Summer (internship for husband) and might be here full time in January.  Now, who knows where to find the raw milk?!

Believing, doting, simplifying, caffeinating, baking, midwife in training, and mothering like a dirty hippie. tea6.gif

baby.gif #3 due in April!

Old 06-09-2011, 11:10 AM

Amanda: Christian, wife to musician DH since 2002, mom to intact & vax free "monkey" DS1 since 12/21/06, and "lovey" DS2 5/17/10! WINNER OF THE GOLDEN BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC!
Old 06-22-2011, 08:59 PM

Do yo know if either of these takes CHIPS?

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

Old 06-23-2011, 07:13 AM

Old 06-23-2011, 09:07 PM

cool! :) I didn't see him in the CHIP handbook though so I went with someone lse. :(

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

Old 06-28-2011, 02:10 PM

He wasn't in ours either, but they allowed me to have him as our PCP when I called and requested him. At first they assigned us two different doctors for my two kids, but then they corrected it when I called and griped. winky.gif

Old 02-28-2013, 12:51 AM

We hope to move back to Tyler when our baby is around a year old... Any recent issues related to the Docs listed above? Here in Florida, my friends have been getting notices from a formerly vaccine friendly pediatrician who is now dismissing them as patients because of there beliefs in delaying and/or not vaxing. Hopefully this isn't the case in Tyler... Thanks:)

Old 02-28-2013, 11:47 AM

I take my kids to dr wadle and no issues so far at all. smile.gif he also takes CHIPS and Medicaid. He was supportive of me treating my sons ear infection naturally.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:46 AM

We see Dr. Paula Bessonnett (sp?), we just call her Dr. B.  She is a family physician who also offers pediatric care.  We are a limited vaccinating and no vaccinating family (weird description, I know).  She is supportive of my right to be informed and choose.  What I also liked was that she doesn't purchase vaccines to keep in office.  If and when you choose to have a vaccine for your child she will write you a prescription, you purchase it, bring it back and she will administer it.  :)  Here's her office number, Phone:(903) 509-2492.  She is also office sharing with a chiropractor and is pro-chiropractic care. 

Old 03-11-2013, 08:31 PM

Thank you for all these posts. We are movin to tyler with 2 non vaccinated toddlers this spring and this was on my list to do. Does anyone know about any organic or ecoganic farms or co ops in tyler?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:41 PM

http://www.lindleyfarmandranch.com/
This is in Mineola. I have never been there, and only discovered it after my mother moved to Nacogdoches. But, they have the variety of milk that is less allergenic, and is recommended for ASD kids who can't tolerate "regular" raw milk.

There is also a doctor in Tyler that I would love to see sometime: Dr. Peter deWet he is an integrative physician. I live in NC, but I am from this area (Tyler).

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
Old 03-12-2013, 02:13 PM

Thank you! I will check both of those out.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:10 AM

Hello I apologize for the thread jack but I just moved to the Longview area and I am in search of a vaccine friendly pediatrician. Any tips? I see a lot of you are in the Tyler area- seems like that area is a bit more progressive when it comes to non-vaxing. I already got weird looks from our neighbor when she found out I don't vax my kids. :( I am feeling oh so lonely here. And getting stressed out. I am also trying to find a school for my boys and that had proven stressful. If anyone has any tips I would appreciate it. 

Old 05-15-2013, 09:21 AM

Hello!

I am so glad I found this community/forum. I have been looking for a vaccine friendly doctor for my newborn. I just made an appt with Dr. Wadle's office.  Thank you so much for posting the information.  *Happy momma*

joy.gif

Old 05-28-2013, 05:39 PM

Hi...I just joined and I have an 8 week old daughter; my first. I'm looking for a pediatrician in the Arlington/ Fort Worth area who would be open to a delayed vaccination schedule. Any recommendations appreciated; thanks in advance!
Old 06-01-2013, 09:07 PM

We used to see dr Sharon Dennis in Arlington. She is a family practitioner but sees newborns and up. We were ok happy with her because she recommended no vaccine ( so not only was she tolerable of our decision but she herself recommended it) her bedside manner could improve. Her nurse Denise is very nice. The office is a little outdated. We now see Naidoo in Richardson.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:36 AM

Just an addition on Dr. Aaron Polk in Nacogdoches ... he was our family doctor from the time I was around 5 and was great while I was growing up (he did vaccinate then, and even delivered my two brothers). I wanted to use him with our little one after she was born (he does not do deliveries any longer, and I wanted an out-of-hospital birth, anyway), but we have decided to selectively vaccinate, and I was told the only way to do that through his office was to pay for a full visit for both Dr. Polk and Dr. Carl A. Davis who practices in the same offices. So we decided to see Dr. Davis, who will probably take over the practice at some point, anyway. At first, he seemed quite respectful of our decisions (although his nurse did not), but over time has leaned heavier and heavier on vaccinations, to the point we are searching for a new pediatrician as we do plan to give some vaccinations while skipping others. Just to note that unless you are a completely non-vaccinating family, Dr. Aaron Polk is probably not a good fit. Our next try will probably be Dr. Wenner at LittleJacks Pediatrics in Nac; I have heard from some other local mothers that she is supportive.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:47 AM

JenVose, did you ever try Dr. Wenner? I went to my son's 2 month check up this morning and was told by his doctor that he does not even offer single vaccines. I have split vaccines with my other two sons (we were in Houston then) and it was no problem. This doctor here said that he only offers the combo of HIB, DTAP and IPV. I wanted to just get the DTAP today, and he said he doesn't even keep those in stock. Does anyone else know of any doctor who allows single vaccines at a time? Who keeps them in stock? We are new to the area, so any help would be great!!

Old 08-26-2013, 02:02 PM

klfuqua, we have not yet seen Dr. Wenner. We likely will be toward the end of next month, at 18 months. If you are also on Facebook and in the Nacogdoches area, there is a group for Nacogdoches Moms and I believe there are several mothers in the group who use her who may be better able to answer on whether she regularly has the split vaccines available. Additionally, she is a DO rather than an MD, which often seems to make a difference in how a physician feels on the vaccination issue.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the reply! I will look into the facebook page, and likely call and ask about the split vaccines. Just want to make sure this time before I spend an hour in the office like I did today! No fun with 3 kiddos!

Old 08-28-2013, 06:18 PM

Also, if you're just looking to separate and space them out, but give all vacs, Dr. Davis does keep the separate vaccines (he was out of the polio for one dose, so we ended up one dose behind on polio). But he can get pushy about getting all of the vaccines at some point. He is OK with completely skipping varicella and rotovirus, but has gotten pretty pushy on all the rest. We take a somewhat different stance on vacs in our house - while I know a lot of families avoid the MMR or the DTaP, especially, we instead get the time-tested vacs and may or may not give the "newer" vacs at a later date.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine S View Post

We see Dr. Paula Bessonnett (sp?), we just call her Dr. B.  She is a family physician who also offers pediatric care.  We are a limited vaccinating and no vaccinating family (weird description, I know).  She is supportive of my right to be informed and choose.  What I also liked was that she doesn't purchase vaccines to keep in office.  If and when you choose to have a vaccine for your child she will write you a prescription, you purchase it, bring it back and she will administer it.  smile.gif  Here's her office number, Phone:
(903) 509-2492.  She is also office sharing with a chiropractor and is pro-chiropractic care. 

i spoke with dr. paula's office today... they said they are only taking kiddos who are up to date on their vaccines :/
Old 09-05-2013, 04:03 PM

Who is Dr. Paula?

Old 09-09-2013, 12:58 PM

Went to Dr. Wenner today, and she was awesome! Very supportive of my alternative vaccine schedule. :)

Old 09-21-2013, 08:58 PM

I visited the website for Dr. Moore and she seems to be fully supportive if vaccines and to the beliefs that a non vaccinating parent may be putting their child at risk. Not really what I would consider vaccine friendly. Still looking for a vaccine friendly pediatrician

User Tag List