Cost of homebirth - Austin - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-21-2010, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I have some questions about homebirth midwives in Austin. I'm currently 26 weeks and have been using an Obgyn and planning a hospital birth due to insurance coverage issues. This is my 4th birth and I don't antipicate problems, so I had wanted either a birth center or homebirth initially. I went to Austin Area Birth Center (as I'm in south Austin), and I was happy with the midwife I spoke with, but my husband and I could not afford the price of a birth there. Our insurance will absolutely not cover any care/birth except those done with a covered OBGYN in a hospital. I've spoken to them twice and that is the final word as far as that is concerned. I guess I want to try to see what the cost of a homebirth might be as opposed to a birth with a midwife in a birth center? The big issue with me is the family issue. I'm not concerned too much about hospital birth (as far as interventions are concerned) - although the constant monitoring/checking my cervix is extremely annoying. But the hospital where my OB delivers has pretty small rooms and they have been pretty up front about discouraging us from bringing our other children to the birth. We have limited options for childcare in the area, and frankly I want them to feel a part of this event. I don't mind if they leave while I am in the most intense part of the birth (transition/pushing, etc...) - I don't want to traumatize them. But I've gotten the impression that they aren't even welcome to come and hang out while I labor at all. We just moved here last year, so I've never used this facility, and in the past I've just been lucky that I've been able to find hospitals with large birthing rooms and very family-friendly policies. So, sorry this got so long but I was wondering what I would be looking at as far as cost to have a homebirth? And any recommendations for a South Austin midwife? Thanks.

Tara
#2 of 9 Old 07-21-2010, 07:16 PM

I've seen as low as $1800 and up to $3300 or so. Debra Day seemed great and she was only $2700 if you payed up front. Christy T(can't spell her last name off the top of my head) is in south Austin and is very nice but is on the higher end of that spectrum. They all do free initial visits so, google Austin Midwives and make some appointments to see who you mesh with the best. Good Luck! - sarah

SAHM to my beautiful girl(9/06) and boy(3/09).
#3 of 9 Old 07-22-2010, 10:10 AM

April Bullock was my midwife and VERY reasonable. BirthWise is the name of her facility. She's super-awesome too. She also gave us up to 3 months AFTER delivery to pay everything off.

I'm pregnant again and would move heaven and earth to use her again, but we have zero dollars this time around

Mama to DS T (10/11/2004) and DD M (09/03/09) and cookin' up baby #3 due late March/early April 2010!
#4 of 9 Old 07-23-2010, 02:45 AM

I think that melanie henderson charges around 2200. she is in north austin but does births everywhere. she is doing most monthly visits in her clients homes now.
most midwives will work out a payment plan with you.
her number is 331.8121

mom to four lively children. birth and postpartum doula. midwifery student. choosing to enjoy life. :
#5 of 9 Old 07-23-2010, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the feedback. I'm not sure what we will be able to do. We lived in a small town in Virginia when I was pregnant with my 3rd child, and when I contacted the few local midwives willing to attend a homebirth in the area the price was so much less! But I understand - and I wish that money was not an issue. It's so frustrating that my insurance company will not consider helping to cover the cost of a midwife or birth center - especially given how much less they would end up paying. In any case, thank you again.

Tara
#6 of 9 Old 07-24-2010, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachermom View Post
I think that melanie henderson charges around 2200. she is in north austin but does births everywhere. she is doing most monthly visits in her clients homes now.
most midwives will work out a payment plan with you.
her number is 331.8121
Melanie has increased her price to $2800.00, plus extra for labs.

Lisa
#7 of 9 Old 07-25-2010, 01:04 PM

thank you. it has been a while since i have checked with her.

mom to four lively children. birth and postpartum doula. midwifery student. choosing to enjoy life. :
#8 of 9 Old 08-06-2010, 12:41 AM

I think it was about $2,500 for Natalie Lake. I would say most homebirth midwives in Austin would be about $2,200 - $2,800. They might give you a slight discount for coming in later in the pregnancy, but not much.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#9 of 9 Old 08-31-2010, 02:08 AM

I would say 2,500-3,000 is about right from the fees the midwives I know charge. I've used the same midwife for all of my pregnancies/births (so far) and her fee is currently 3,000 + labs with an early pay discount of 300.

I wanted to edit in that most will work with you. Just be up front with your situation. I think my first daughter was 5-6 months old before we finally had our midwife paid in full (had to wait until that tax return). That drove me crazy so I broke my back to get the second paid off early (plus the discount was nice)!

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page