Where to live in Houston area? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-05-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there. We are moving to the Houston area at the end of this year. We're trying to figure out the areas where we want to look for houses. My husband will be working in downtown Houston and does not want a long, congested commute. Does this mean we must live inside the loop? I was hoping to get a place with a couple of acres and have chickens and a horse, which of course is only possible outside the loop. Also, I homeschool my oldest (almost 6) and would love to live in a community with a supportive homeschooling co-op.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!
#2 of 13 Old 08-05-2010, 11:11 PM

There are homeschoolers all over Houston, just depends on what you're looking for.

For acres and horses and such, you're going to be a good ways out (unless you're a multi-millionaire, in which case you might find a small space in memorial) and it's going to be an hour+ commute to downtown.

There are plenty of places with shorter commutes without living inside the loop, but you're really not going to find enough land for horses close in

-Angela
#3 of 13 Old 08-06-2010, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, I have friends looking out in the direction of Fulshear for land on which to keep their horses (they currently live in Richmond and the horses live at a farm a bit of a drive away). I don't want to even guess how long the commute along I-10 would be from Fulshear to downtown!

I live in Sugar Land. In low traffic, the drive in is about 25-30 minutes. At peak times, it can certainly be a good bit longer. There are HOV lanes that can trim that a bit and also commuter vans and park'n'rides and such. You could get land down 59 not TOO far past Sugar Land, but certainly every bit further out lengthens the commute. I'm not sure what's available out towards Pearland, which has become a popular area with commuters coming in via 288.

The thing with Houston is it is a HUGE city and very spread-out (we have/had a higher population in the city limits than NYC, because the city limits are so enormous). There's a lot more land to go around, so lots are often larger than in other big cities and surrounds, but as the city continues to grow the rural areas become further and further out.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#4 of 13 Old 08-06-2010, 10:38 AM

Yeah, 10 years ago I would have sent you to Pearland, even 5 years ago I might have suggested it. Problem is that it has grown WAY too fast and they haven't expanded 288 (the highway) and the traffic is unreal. My BIL lives there and works in the museum district (so further south than downtown, shorter commute) and if he tries during rush hour it's easily an hour plus.

-Angela
#5 of 13 Old 08-06-2010, 11:18 AM

Land for horses? Memorial is the only place I can think of with a relatively short commute to downtown (I work downtown) and the prices for those houses are in the millions easily. If you can swing that then you can look there.

If not you probably need to have the horses at some stables outside the city and visit them there. We did that for a while when we had horses and Stablewood was turned into homes. It kinda sucks though.

To have a short commute to downtown I would recommend living inside the loop, and if you cant do that at least inside of the beltway.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#6 of 13 Old 08-06-2010, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for the input. Looks like I'll keep boarding my horse! I'd hate for my husband to have a long commute when he already works long hours.
#7 of 13 Old 08-06-2010, 03:43 PM

There is a neighborhood near ours, called Bridlewood. It is just south of Sugar Land, and has easy access to 59. You can have horses there, on your property.

My DH works in Houston (Westheimer/Beltway8) and has about a 45 minute commute.

http://www.bridlewood-estates.com/index.html

Jennifer- wife and mom, dreaming of country living
#8 of 13 Old 08-11-2010, 08:52 AM

we live in Benders Landing - north of houston between the hardy toll road and 59 in Spring. Our commute to downtown - even in heavy traffic is 45 minutes. with no traffic we can get to the galleria area in 30 minutes. airport is exactly 30 minutes from my house to the airport. our entire neighborhood is 1 acre plots. there is horse boarding not far from here - just right up the road. i also know there are alot of homeschoolers in our neighborhood. send me a message if you'd like more information and i can get you someone to talk to. good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidandspencersmom View Post
There is a neighborhood near ours, called Bridlewood. It is just south of Sugar Land, and has easy access to 59. You can have horses there, on your property.

My DH works in Houston (Westheimer/Beltway8) and has about a 45 minute commute.

http://www.bridlewood-estates.com/index.html
#9 of 13 Old 08-12-2010, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Sisandspencersmom and Brandianndesigns! Those both sound like great areas and we will definitely be looking into them.
#10 of 13 Old 08-13-2010, 01:56 PM

That place in Spring does sound nice but you might want to drive it yourself especially during the hours hubby will be on the road. Our friends moved to Pearland based on feedback from MANY they work with that it would only take them 25 minutes door-to-door to the med center. It was always 40 minutes to an hour. They lived in NY and are used to driving but just didn't feel it was worth the time given some low(er) prices inside the loop right now. They moved in town last month.

On another note, horses used to be allowed in the Acres Homes area. It was predominantly African American and underdeveloped when I worked there 10 years ago. I hear it's being "gentrified" now so maybe no horses? Or maybe you can get land and have a horse then they'll built suburban properties all around you?

Another area that I believe is still "unincorporated" is south houston right before Pearland. Again it's another AA community. There used to be no zoning. It has tended to be very religious probably Southern Baptist but again it's changing there and I'm not sure what the changes are exactly. I would think you'll find more home schoolers near Acres Homes but don't know as I actually work in the Houston public schools and do not know any HS folks IRL. Good luck!
#11 of 13 Old 08-13-2010, 06:08 PM

Ah, good idea. Acres Homes at least has some areas where horses are still allowed. It's definitely a lower-income area in general though and the crime tends high.

-Angela
#12 of 13 Old 08-19-2010, 11:24 AM

Great information & recs here. I especially agree with making the drive (from wherever you choose) during the hours hubby would be on the road.

You can also take a look at the real estate site:
http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearchClass1.cfm

You can enter the price range you are looking for, the plot size, etc. If you find something that peeks your interest, you could always post on here & ask if anyone has info on the area or neighborhood it is located in.

Good luck.

Me. Full-time intactlact.gif,homeschool.gif,waterbirth.jpgx2 Momma. Part-time Doula & WAHM. Married to my bff USMC CWO2. Momma to the big M energy.gif11/06 -- the lil' superhero.gif C 09/08 and belly.gifexpecting our 3rd & last 12/12.

#13 of 13 Old 08-30-2010, 05:19 PM

Acres Homes is definetly the hood, but look into Garden Oaks and Oak Forest. A short drive to Acres Homes, but nicer homes and good schools. I live in Oak Forest, and truly love the neighborhood. Very nice friendly neighbors, close to everything, and a million roads to choose from during high traffic hours. We check the internet traffic map and can easily choose our route. Perhaps you can keep your horse in Acres Homes area, and live nearby in Garden Oaks/Oak Forest.

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page