anyone used Lonestar Nurse-Midwives in San Antonio? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-10-2010, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
trying to find someone in SA and would love any recommendations, reviews, etc. Thank you!
#2 of 4 Old 08-11-2010, 12:12 PM

There are quite a few recommendations for the Lonestar Midwives on the MDC forums. All the doulas I know in SA love them. St. Lukes is far and away the most mother/baby friendly hospital in SA even if it isn't the prettiest. I used one of the Lonestar OB's (Dr. Kuhl) and the midwives backed him up. Jan Olsen is lovely.

Here's the thing. Lonestar are the ONLY midwives doing hospital births in SA. 99% of the OB's in town are your 'typical' OB's. There are handful of docs who are supportive of natural birth but other than Lonestar or the SA birth center or homebirth there are no other options for midwifery care.

Karen, homeschooling Catholic mom to 8. #9 due 6/10
#3 of 4 Old 08-11-2010, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Great! I can't believe SA is so out of the loop still! I had an amazing homebirth there is 2005 because it was my only non OB option, but I'm researching for a friend of mine now and was really hoping that they had come further in the last 5 years. Thanks for the info!
#4 of 4 Old 08-11-2010, 06:16 PM

I just had my baby with Dr. Kuhl at SLB in June. He is more hands-off than a lot of CNM's that have cared for me but you have no guarantee he'll be at your birth since they rotate call :P

It is interesting/depressing that there aren't more CNM's here. I think it has to do with most mothers being more concerned with the aesthetics of the units than the care, the presence of a medical school and the number of military docs that leave the military and set up shop here.
I lived in CT for a while. There are TONS of CNM's, most OB practices had at least one it seemed but along with the medical school there is a great midwifery program at Yale so there was balance and acceptance by the local OB's which there really isn't here.

Karen, homeschooling Catholic mom to 8. #9 due 6/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page