Green living in Houston? Is that possible?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 10-15-2010, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the group you started sounds like a great group.

There are groups here but what you are describing I dont think that there is here in houston. there are version of that.... but not meeting all of those requirements.

That is something that I too am looking for... but I am looking for a small-ish group like that which may be why I say this. I have found some largish groups like this.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#32 of 49 Old 10-15-2010, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

I am not into a large group for the long haul, for me they are great for field trips that need minimums and age specific stuff. I was in a large group but really only 20 or so families participated with 60 doing nothing. I want a "community family" feel. Let me get down there - shooting for the day after Thanksgiving to leave Chi town, 3 day trip and we there. Let me know if you are interested in getting together maybe the first week in December! Oh - I need a sling for my 2 year old that isn't going to kill me with a long tail and heavy material. She want the hip and not the back -own a Beco. Any suggestions or something I could try would rock. Thanks!

Do your librarian systems offer passes to the museums, sites, etc??
#33 of 49 Old 10-15-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanbluemomma View Post
I am not into a large group for the long haul, for me they are great for field trips that need minimums and age specific stuff. I was in a large group but really only 20 or so families participated with 60 doing nothing. I want a "community family" feel. Let me get down there - shooting for the day after Thanksgiving to leave Chi town, 3 day trip and we there. Let me know if you are interested in getting together maybe the first week in December! Oh - I need a sling for my 2 year old that isn't going to kill me with a long tail and heavy material. She want the hip and not the back -own a Beco. Any suggestions or something I could try would rock. Thanks!

Do your librarian systems offer passes to the museums, sites, etc??
BINGO. what is what i want. i happen to be a babywearing addict so yes i might have some ideas... lol.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#34 of 49 Old 10-15-2010, 12:42 AM

about the librarian systems im not sure, we are members to most of the museums so i havent checked into anything else.

#35 of 49 Old 10-15-2010, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

What museums are great? We have a great variety in Chicago. My kids love everything but art right now - they love to do it but not stare at it - LOL

Someday I am sure...

Lin
#36 of 49 Old 10-15-2010, 10:08 AM

The Museum of Natural Science (HMNS) is good. Not fabulous, but good. They have homeschool classes to- we're taking some for the first time this year and dd likes them so far. The children's museum is okay, not fantastic. Museums just depend on what you're looking for- ya know?

HAEA is very crunchy friendly. You will see nursing toddlers there for sure and slings and carriers. Usually only 10-15 families show up at any given thing.

-Angela
#37 of 49 Old 10-16-2010, 11:47 AM
PPK

Posting late, but restaurants I second A Moveable Feast and there are a few veggie restaurants like Pepper Tree which has buffet. There are several on Bellaire around Wilcrest, but would have to dig deeper to get the names/exact locations.

Also, for electric, we use Green Mountain Energy. It seems to cost about 30% more, but is 100% renewable.

We don't have recycling for our complex, but there are several drop-off stations to do it ourselves.

We also cook on electric and cast iron is fine.

Good luck!
#38 of 49 Old 10-20-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
What museums are great? We have a great variety in Chicago. My kids love everything but art right now - they love to do it but not stare at it - LOL

Someday I am sure...

Lin
Like alegna said, the museums here are okay, but not fabulous. They really are a far cry from the Chicago museums, IMO.
#39 of 49 Old 10-20-2010, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

You all are a wealth of info, thanks! I am so sick of googling about Houston-just would like to get there What about cell companies? We have US Cellular whis is not in Houston, so what cheap companies area great out in Houston? I am still in the hunt for a great small bank - I think we are moving to Spring. How about Teacher Stores? Toy Stores?

Thanks for all the awesome help!
#40 of 49 Old 10-20-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
You all are a wealth of info, thanks! I am so sick of googling about Houston-just would like to get there What about cell companies? We have US Cellular whis is not in Houston, so what cheap companies area great out in Houston? I am still in the hunt for a great small bank - I think we are moving to Spring. How about Teacher Stores? Toy Stores?

Thanks for all the awesome help!
All the big cell carriers are here. I use T-moblie and have been happy with them. There are small banks here and there- I know Frost is a good sized local one. I use one that's across TX, but not huge. Teacher stores there are an assortment, including a good sized Lakeshore Learning in the Galleria area. Several good local toy stores- my two favorite are Fundamentally Toys on W. Gray and Imagination Toys and Shoes on Bellaire Blvd. and Stella Link.

Spring is a nice area, but can sometimes seem far from the "in the city" stuff.

-Angela
#41 of 49 Old 10-22-2010, 12:16 AM

I haven't read through the whole thread, but I saw you ask for CSA recommendations and I also saw you mention that you might be in Spring...
We have been CSA members of Home Sweet Farm for over a year now, and we LOVE them!! They have a weekly drop-off in Spring (in Bender's Landing). The fall season starts Nov. 2nd; they might have spots open still (if you are even planning to be in Houston by then). Here is their website: http://www.homesweetfarm.com/

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#42 of 49 Old 11-16-2010, 04:51 PM

wow! what a great thread!!! It's been awhile since I've seen a "tribe" so actively respond to someone who is relocating to an area (I know because we've had to look at several different areas this year). Such great resources everyone has posted and it seems there is a super active community of families which is great to see :)

So I have a couple of questions to piggyback on OP:

1) How is the unschooling community there? It looks like some of the groups online have dried up :(

2) DH may or may not have a job offer in Lake Charles LA which would have him working there three and a half days a week and off the rest. Lake Charles isn't really my preferred place to relocate to so we've talked about maybe him commuting once a week back and forth so he can be home during his days off - are we nuts? Are there places on the east side of Houston that are liveable and would cut down on his commute time if he did that? 

Hoping for some replies!

Laura mama to Caitlyn 12/26/06 and Frenchie dh non vaccing unschooling multilingual family
#43 of 49 Old 11-16-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphos View Post

wow! what a great thread!!! It's been awhile since I've seen a "tribe" so actively respond to someone who is relocating to an area (I know because we've had to look at several different areas this year). Such great resources everyone has posted and it seems there is a super active community of families which is great to see :)

So I have a couple of questions to piggyback on OP:

1) How is the unschooling community there? It looks like some of the groups online have dried up :(

2) DH may or may not have a job offer in Lake Charles LA which would have him working there three and a half days a week and off the rest. Lake Charles isn't really my preferred place to relocate to so we've talked about maybe him commuting once a week back and forth so he can be home during his days off - are we nuts? Are there places on the east side of Houston that are liveable and would cut down on his commute time if he did that? 

Hoping for some replies!

1.  LOTS of unschoolers.  Many just run with some of the relaxed homeschooling groups.  There is an unschooling co-op too.

2. East side of Houston is pretty yuck.  Dh grew up over there and was quite happy to move away  :lol

-Angela

#44 of 49 Old 11-16-2010, 08:41 PM

sapphos,

Alegna is right about the east side of Houston!  We live in Kingwood (NE Houston) and absolutely LOVE it! We moved here from the Heights a couple of years ago and although it is much different than living in the city, it suits us well right now.  We can jump on 90 pretty easily and make it to Lake Charles in 2-2.5 hours.  I know quite a few unschoolers around here! I don't know of any unschooling specific groups in our area, but there are a couple of well-established secular homeschooling groups.

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#45 of 49 Old 11-18-2010, 04:11 PM

thanks for the replies. The job  has come through and dh is heading to Lake Charles this weekend. If we end up looking at relocation I'm not totally sure if I can do the small town thing so we really will be considering Houston as a possibility but it's going to depend upon so many things. 

Laura mama to Caitlyn 12/26/06 and Frenchie dh non vaccing unschooling multilingual family
#46 of 49 Old 11-22-2010, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Started the homeschool group via Meetup - Houston Holistic Learners, come and join!  I have to laugh - I joined a yahoo Secular group to be notified that "Pagans are in the group" seriously??? To each as own, I don't care what your "thing" is, as long as you are a great person with a good heart, come purple, tall, small, whatever.... no judgement from me or the group, not allowed here.  Will be leaving that group shortly, not into forwarnings - LOL....

Coming at the end of the week and looking forward to creating that "community" to create a village once again.

#47 of 49 Old 11-22-2010, 08:40 PM

Was the group with that warning a Houston group?  If so, and it's the one I suspect, there's a back story  lol  PM me if you'd like and I'll fill you in.

-Angela

#48 of 49 Old 11-24-2010, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Yep no worries....seriously someone want to post they need "healing energy" "a prayer" " or whatever anyone needs in a time of tragedy or illness they everyone do their "thing" and send it their way.  It's just not a big deal to me - you need a prayer, I am sending healing energy and hope for recovery -the best I can do:).  I am into free speech but insult throwing is unwelcome:) I tend to say shit or crap - do I think I need to ask for forgiveness?No - it is apart of my language- After 30 odd years  - I get to be me:)

On the road in Little Rock tonight - if anyone is pending members give me until next week, no internet set up yet.  Happy Thanksgiving!

#49 of 49 Old 11-25-2010, 07:43 AM

There were originally no warnings on the group- then a Christian flipped out on a pagan original member- hence the warning  ;)

-Angela

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page