Just Relocated to Fort Worth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-07-2010, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! My family and I just moved to Fort Worth, TX. Looking for fun things to do in the area. Our children are 3 1/2 and 18 months. We live in the downtown area. Also wondering where to look for finding a reliable part time babysitter. We don't have any family in the area nor do we really know anyone. My husband and I would just like to go out to dinner once in a while. But I'm paranoid when it comes to leaving the children with someone we don't know. They have only been left with family so far. Thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 09-11-2010, 11:56 PM

I am in Dallas so I am not really sure about things to do in FW but I do know the Zoo is great so I would definiteyly get a family membership. There is a Fort Worth Child Magazine that is free and given out at lots of locations families frequent. As for child care I have used sitter city and been happy. You can do a background check on there or do one seperately, I only use people that I have done one on. If either of your kids will go to MDO or preschool you can always ask the other Moms.
#3 of 6 Old 09-13-2010, 08:05 PM

We live in North Dallas, but make the drive to Ft Worth once a month or so to visit the science museum: http://www.fwmuseum.org/ We have a membership there, and always enjoy it. You can also find a lot of great resources on dfwareamoms.com (not sure if I can post a link to another message type board).
#4 of 6 Old 09-19-2010, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The FW zoo is very nice! The Log Cabin Village is close by and cute. You will most likely love making the hour drive out to Glen Rose for Fossil Rim http://www.fossilrim.org/drive.php and they have the Dinosaur Valley out there too. Like someone said, FW Child is a free publication at many stores and there is another one called "Suburban Parent" that lists calendar of events for families. They do the cattle drive daily through the Stock Yards. The longhorns are pretty impressive to see.

FW also has many story times at local libraries and book stores. Trinity Park is pretty nice and has a big duck pond. The Botanical Gardens (free) and Japanese gardens are both nice. FW is home of world class art museums, most free, and my kids like to go see the art from time to time.
FW also has events/festivals almost on a monthly basis around town. The StarTelegram (paper) puts out the entertainment guide each week (I think it's in with the Friday paper). Check out Burger's Lake for summer swimming. http://www.burgerslake.com/ . Sundance Square is very safe and clean. Fort Worth Nature Refuge is a short trip west of town http://www.fwnaturecenter.org/ . The Gaylord Texan (in Grapevine) often has some neat things for the kids to see and do, especially around the holidays. Sandy Lake is near Farmer's Branch/North Dallas but it's a cute, smaller amusement park that has more rides for smaller children than 6 Flags http://www.sandylake.com/ . That's all I can think of at the moment. Hope that helps...

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#5 of 6 Old 09-21-2010, 03:43 PM

Hi Heather!

Finding babysitters is always tough! We moved here last October and are LOVING Fort Worth. We also have a 3.5 year old and an 18 month old.

What we did was join the YMCA. Great way to kill a couple of hours, meet people and stay active. They have childcare and they're always wonderful, at any branch. We use their Parents' Night Out the last Friday of every month at the Northwest Y on Boat Club Road. Great way to get out for dinner, get away for a few hours and know that the kids are safe.
#6 of 6 Old 09-27-2010, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all the information! We will definitely be checking those out!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page