Looking for Resonable Pediatrician in Austin - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-28-2010, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good Pediatrician in Austin. One who is open to discussing vaccines and not administering them if the patient is against it and is open to talking about healthy lifestyle changes or alternative methods of healing before medications etc.

Bascially, just an open minded Ped Thanks so much ya'll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 11-23-2010, 08:56 PM

Dr. ****** at Pediatric Associates is pro-vax but was very willing to not push our decision to selectively vaccinate when the time is right for us to begin! I can't recommend any other doctors in the same practice, though. 

#3 of 10 Old 11-24-2010, 08:50 AM

I don't know how far north you are, but if you're willing to go to Cedar Park, Dr. Hutchens at Cedar Park Pediatrics is wonderful.  She is pro-vax, but doesn't push at all about vaccines and respects a parent's right to make those decisions.  From what she has said, other doctors at the practice are a little pushier.  We selectively/delay vax, but she does still take patients that don't vax at all.  She's also supportive of full term breastfeeding--she didn't bat an eye when I told her at my daughter's 3 year checkup that she was still nursing frequently, and she wasn't concerned when my daughter was very slow to start eating solids.  She's always been very respectful of our decisions and I'm so glad she moved to Cedar Park right before we did!

#4 of 10 Old 12-23-2010, 09:43 PM

I highly recommend Treehouse Pediatrics in Round Rock. We love, love, LOVE all of their doctors, especially Dr. Chang.

#5 of 10 Old 01-27-2011, 08:17 AM

Seconding Treehouse Pediatrics. We go to Dr Travis and he has been EXCELLENT. Never any vaccine pressure, very BF and AP friendly. Seen other docs there too and they are all great. 

#6 of 10 Old 01-31-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddle View Post

I don't know how far north you are, but if you're willing to go to Cedar Park, Dr. Hutchens at Cedar Park Pediatrics is wonderful.  She is pro-vax, but doesn't push at all about vaccines and respects a parent's right to make those decisions.  From what she has said, other doctors at the practice are a little pushier. 

That's funny, I had a totally different experience with her! We go to Dr. Mathew in the same practice and she has been very open about talking about our vaccine schedule, but certainly not as informative as Dr. McConnell (she moved to a new practice, so we've bounced around a bit to find out which Dr. to switch to).  I found Dr. Hutchens to be off-putting and a bit stiff.

We loved Dr. McConnell, and she was great about discussing each vaccine with us.  She very helpful in regards to helping us make choices and we discussed each vaccine before we got them.  I never heard a negative word about how far behind we are (my 21 month old has only received a total of 6 shots, so we're considered to be very far behind!).  She is now practicing out of Children's Medical Group closer to downtown.

#7 of 10 Old 01-31-2011, 07:03 PM

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for posting this!!!  We just moved to Austin (specifically right between Cedar Park and Round Rock) and am needing a ped!  I am going to check out Tree House pediatrics now.

Thank you again so much for your input!!!!

Kim, Mama to 4 and 1 more on the way!
#8 of 10 Old 02-11-2011, 08:35 PM

We go to ARC Discovery in Cedar Park and see Dr. Rice. We have been very happy with her and she did not even blink when we stated our intention to selectively/delay vaccines. It was such a relief--we had had the same doc since our oldest was born 9 years ago but he had to retire and I was terrified about not being able to find a doc supportive of our vaccine schedule. I thought about going to Treehouse but the docs that my friends recommended were not taking new patients.

#9 of 10 Old 02-15-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octanebeetle4 View Post

We go to ARC Discovery in Cedar Park and see Dr. Rice. We have been very happy with her and she did not even blink when we stated our intention to selectively/delay vaccines. It was such a relief--we had had the same doc since our oldest was born 9 years ago but he had to retire and I was terrified about not being able to find a doc supportive of our vaccine schedule. I thought about going to Treehouse but the docs that my friends recommended were not taking new patients.

We don't presently have a pediatrician but several of the alternative doctors we see have recommended Dr. Rice.  She is known to embrace the more natural side of things.  If and when we need a pedi, this is who we will see.  Good luck to you!

My Blog:  Finding Our New Normal
#10 of 10 Old 02-15-2011, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

dr chiapetta in south austin, dr anna bell in central austin and dr debra bryant in north austin- hope this helps

feel free to pm me if you want more info on any of them

mdcblog5.gif   Liz mama to DS 10, DSS 9, DD 6, DS 3, DD 2 , Aquila- dec 19th 2009 died at my homebirth, and....welcome Willow born 9-16-10 (9 weeks early)  nut.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page