We can add Dr. McGuirk to the list of VBAC docs - Houston - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-13-2010, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had a wonderful VBAC with Dr. McGuirk at Methodist Willowbrook. He did everything to make sure I get my VBAC including stripping my membrane. I know, not the best scenario, but my amniotic fluid was low, and he was worried I might have to have a c-section if it keeps going down. And sure enough, the 3rd day I went in with 8cm dilated, so no epidural and had to push only for 45minutes.  He is against episiotomy and let me tear, but after seeing my tear he jokingly said an episiotomy would have been better. He is with the group NorthWest Women's Center, and all the docs in that group support VBAC. The L&D nurses at Methodist were wonderful too and very pro-breastfeeding.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-28-2011, 11:55 PM

Very nice to know thank you... I am so nervous and much needed the name of a vbac doc in willowbrook area....

#3 of 9 Old 05-21-2011, 10:05 PM

Does anyone have anymore names to add to the list for VBAC supportive docs in Houston? I was living in Houston until my husband was transferred abroad and we started fertility treatments recently after trying to conceive for over a year. The birthing climate here is not good and I really want to try to VBAC. I am hoping to be able to conceive ASAP and then go to Houston to deliver. So right now to calm my nerves as I deal with the fertility stuff, I am trying to assemble a list of VBAC-friendly OBs I can contact. I would appreciate any comments you might have!

#4 of 9 Old 05-22-2011, 04:34 PM

I have quite a long list, but the ones I am currently sure of their support are Espana and Milner, among many others. Feel free to PM me and I can share the full list I have.

Cole Deelah
a mama of 5, wife of one, doula, MW apprentice, and childbirth educator
#5 of 9 Old 05-23-2011, 04:22 PM

Cole,

Are you sure about Espana?  My client is an excellent candidate, per the doc himself, and now he is starting to back pedal and talk repeat c.  She has no new factors that would cause this but he is making her hope for an "accidental" homebirth.

Tina            Wife to 1, Mother to 3, and Doula to Many                        
Your Body...Your Birth...Your Way...
Advocating for Evidenced Based Maternity Care and Birth Practices
#6 of 9 Old 05-24-2011, 01:23 PM

Cole, Did you get my PM?

#7 of 9 Old 05-25-2011, 05:36 PM

Yep, and I replied/emailed on Tue, May 24, 2011 at 5:12 PM. Let me know if you didn't get it or need me to resend. :)

Cole Deelah
#8 of 9 Old 05-25-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBearCare View Post

Cole,

Are you sure about Espana?  My client is an excellent candidate, per the doc himself, and now he is starting to back pedal and talk repeat c.  She has no new factors that would cause this but he is making her hope for an "accidental" homebirth.

Unfortunately, the docs in this area are only as VBAC friendly as their last good experience. :( (poo on that, I know). I DO know that Espana is a 'like my mamas to go by 40 weeks or else' VBAC doc, so is it that pressure?

Cole Deelah
#9 of 9 Old 05-26-2011, 12:36 AM

Nope.  He was originally looking at 39 weeks but her hubby won't be back in the country yet.  He's fine with her going to 40, but no further.  She has untreated PTSD from her first birth so this is very important to her that she get her vbac.  There are no risk factors as everything has been a-ok during this pg and with her incision, all is a go.  He's just now starting to bring up repeat more and more....scaring this poor mom.

Tina            Wife to 1, Mother to 3, and Doula to Many                        
Your Body...Your Birth...Your Way...
Advocating for Evidenced Based Maternity Care and Birth Practices

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page