OU Medical Center Midwife Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-01-2011, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am currently being seen by one of the Midwives at OU Medical.  I wanted to see if any of you had any experience lately with a couple of things.  Have any of you flat out refused to get out of the tub for your delivery?  They said you can't have a water birth there anymore, and OU is the ONLY where my insurance will cover a midwife.  I did call about bringing in a birthing pool, and they said you can't because they're worried about lawsuits.  Have any of you gotten away with not wearing a EFM or not getting a hep lock?  Did you have to sneak food, or did they let you eat openly?  What about bringing things in from home to help you through labor, like a Tens Unit?  I have a prescription for one due to back problems, and I'm wondering if I'm going to just have to hide it from them to use it. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-23-2011, 09:54 PM

I know Ann let you have YOUR birth. She is no longer there. Darn retirement! I also know you can refuse to get out of the tub, you can refuse the monitoring, you can refuse almost anything.  I heard the other midwives do require a hep-loc. Also remember, they keep their ability to practice there by 'adhering' to OUs guidelines.

Wife to Jeff (5/03), mom to C(10/01), A(2/03), P(5/04), J(10/07), D(4/09)
#3 of 5 Old 04-13-2011, 06:14 PM

I know I'm late to this, but I gave birth with the Ou mws in 2009 (mostly with Ann who's gone now--sob). My Doula said that if you were in the tub, they won't physically force you out, but they won't let you in if your water is broken tho you can shower.

I ended up high risk and so was required to do cefm. However Ann let me off for almost 3 solid hours to get in the shower. Leanna wouldn't let me out of bed most of the time she was on....Grrrr....it's too bad that SHE isn't retirement age. :-(

I think all the new mws are too new to know what they'll let you "get away with." I have already been told I'll be required to do cfm again bc I'll be vbacing and that they have a no food policy for vbac, but I totally plan to sneak food. I also plan to go to the bathroom A LOT to get off the monitor.
#4 of 5 Old 04-14-2011, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I wanted a home waterbirth last time  but ended up with a quick med free birth with Dusty at OUMC who is no longer there either. She told me I could stay in the tub, but when I got there, I saw the "tub" was about 8 inches deep and the only way I was able to keep warm water on my abdomen was to get on my knees and hold the shower head on it. I did this off and on, putting towels under my knees etc. It wasn't ideal. I ended up getting out to push as it wasn't very wide either and I wanted to push upright. The only thing sore after my birth were my knees. HA! Maybe I had a different kind of room, but make sure to go have a look at the tubs and see if that is what you have in mind.

radical homemaking/living, homesteading, organic gardening, open minded mama to two amazing little ones 3/2010 and 9/2011 and expecting #3!!!! 5/2013.

#5 of 5 Old 04-17-2011, 04:24 PM

Yeah, the tub in my LD room was just a regular ol' bathtub. Not a big jacuzzi tub or anything. Didn't ask on my tour if they did have jacuzzi tubs, so maybe there are some in other rooms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagirl View Post

I wanted a home waterbirth last time  but ended up with a quick med free birth with Dusty at OUMC who is no longer there either. She told me I could stay in the tub, but when I got there, I saw the "tub" was about 8 inches deep and the only way I was able to keep warm water on my abdomen was to get on my knees and hold the shower head on it. I did this off and on, putting towels under my knees etc. It wasn't ideal. I ended up getting out to push as it wasn't very wide either and I wanted to push upright. The only thing sore after my birth were my knees. HA! Maybe I had a different kind of room, but make sure to go have a look at the tubs and see if that is what you have in mind.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page