Fun in Austin? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-09-2011, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DP is interviewing for a job in Austin and the company will be flying us all out for a short look (if he is serious, then we'll come for like a week later, this is just a couple days to get a feel for the place).

One of the days DP will be totally busy with interviews and such, so it will just be me and the kids (DD12 & DS9).  I think this will be next Monday.  Any suggestions for fun things to do?  We're from Seattle so something outdoors would be heavenly. 

Also--- places to look around? 

We've been in Austin once before for just over a week.  That was for a wedding, though, in August and the kids were 5 & 2, so totally different. 

#2 of 17 Old 03-09-2011, 09:52 AM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#3 of 17 Old 03-09-2011, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure where we will be staying.  Assuming by the company--- then North.  We've not got a lot of info--- said for the initial look around we wouldn't want the kids to be out of school for long, so I'm thinking a Sat-Monday thing.  DD has a dance on Friday night she is hoping to go to still.

#4 of 17 Old 03-09-2011, 09:50 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#5 of 17 Old 03-10-2011, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.

We should have a rental car.  They wanted to do an interview ASAP and this is what worked for DP & them.  I'm sure we'll have a good time (and the weather, oh the weather... just walking around somewhere that is above 50 degrees and not raining).

Any other comments?

#6 of 17 Old 03-10-2011, 02:34 PM

- Buddha
#7 of 17 Old 03-10-2011, 02:41 PM

If you don't mind the drive south, I love the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center. The Austin Zoo is south too.  It's a rescue zoo, so less fancy than most.  There are parks and hike and bike trails EVERYWHERE.  The weather has been gorgeous lately.  Some of the city pools are open year round if you're up for that.  Looks like there might be rain this weekend.  I can't help a whole lot with indoor activities because my daughter is much younger so I don't know what the big kids are into yet.  Make plans to eat a lot--the food is one of my favorite parts of Austin.

Like PP said, with SXSW going on, Austin is going to be pretty wild.  Don't judge it based on the crowds or anything. 

#8 of 17 Old 03-10-2011, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

I saw the Lady Bird Lake area--- that looks great.  I definately think we'll get out and enjoy the weather.

Just found out we'll probably be staying at the Westin (Domain?) if that opens anything else up.

DP would like to go to the Salt Like if it's not *too* far out there.

#9 of 17 Old 03-10-2011, 04:11 PM

Salt Lick in Dripping Springs is a hike.  Cash only and BYOB, but the atmosphere is great.  If you're more interested in the food, you can go to the "spin off" Salt Lick in Round Rock by the Dell Diamond. Same food, less of a drive, but less atmosphere.  If you want to do BBQ every night, let me know!

Austin Park & Pizza is an indoor-outdoor entertainment type place with mini golf, gocarts, and that sort of thing.  It's not really Austin-y, but would be something active to do.  I believe there are caverns in Georgetown (north of Austin).  Outlet shopping in Round Rock.  Baseball games at the Dell Diamond are fun, but I'm not sure if baseball has started back up yet.  I don't know for sure, but there is probably a ghost tour in Austin.  I would stay far away from the SXSW festivities.

I live in Pflugerville, and while it isn't as cool as South Austin, the commute is awesome down the new toll road. Where i live is a little farther out.  We're actually leaving in May and going to be renting our house, if you're interested when the time comes.....winky.gif

I'll see if I can think of anything else!

#10 of 17 Old 03-10-2011, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, they can't actually get flight & hotel for us this weekend, so it looks like we won't be coming for a couple more weeks.

Which is excellent, because that means i can get even more advice!!!

#11 of 17 Old 03-10-2011, 07:27 PM

It also means you can avoid SXSW and get a more realistic picture of Austin!  Personally, I think Salt Lick is worth the drive.  The Round Rock location isn't the same.  If you do any end up going there, be aware that if you get the all you can eat, you'll end up getting sent home with a massive plate of BBQ.  They're the only all you can eat that lets you take leftovers that I know of... so if you don't want to end up eating BBQ the whole time, you may not want to do the all you can eat....   The cobbler is pretty good too.

#12 of 17 Old 03-11-2011, 08:36 AM

OMG get the peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream. Mmm...eat.gif

#13 of 17 Old 03-11-2011, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post

OMG get the peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream. Mmm...eat.gif

I looked at the menu and was thinking instead of ordering bbq I could get the pan of peach cobbler!  Now I'm really looking forward to it.

#14 of 17 Old 03-11-2011, 06:18 PM

Honestly the 1/2 pan is waaay cheaper than ordering for a few people.  We've gotten that to go when we've had family in town.  We did the all you can eat a couple of times, but now that we know what we like we just order by the pound.  Can you tell that i could talk about BBQ all day?  bag.gif  It's less expensive that way.    If you don't feel like driving to Salt Lick but want more of that Texas BBQ feel, you can go to City Market in Luling or the big place in Elgin.  Eating-wise Kerbey Lane is a favorite.  It's like a local chain with quirky breakfast and lunch entrees.  They have veg* items; there's one on Guadalupe near UT, one at Anderson Mill & 183, and others....

Not sure if the bats have returned, but if they're here, that's a sight to see.  I'll keep thinking!

#15 of 17 Old 03-11-2011, 06:37 PM

Round Rock area? We live here. I'm a 10+yr veteran of a certain high-tech company. Grew up here, in the ritzier part of Austin, now happily live in Round Rock. Email me if you want some info. Would you be doing public school or homeschool?

Me: 38 DH: 47
DS#1: 9/01 DS#2: 8/04 : DS#3: 7/06 DD#1: 8/09
#16 of 17 Old 03-12-2011, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post

Not sure if the bats have returned, but if they're here, that's a sight to see.  I'll keep thinking!

We went to TGIFridays at dusk the last time we were in Austin and it was awesome!  That was something I'd like to show the kids now that they might remember :)

#17 of 17 Old 03-13-2011, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

If you want a great outdoor activity and you don't mind a little drive, you should visit Hamilton Pool.  It's about 40 minutes outside of Austin, but it's a really beautiful and peaceful place to swim (it will be hot enough by the time you get here!).  It's a short hike to the pool through a protected natural area and the swimming hole is spring-fed by a waterfall that cascades over the top of a shallow cave.  You can google it for directions and more info.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page