Relocating to San Antonio... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-14-2011, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My family is planning to relocate from Missouri to San Antonio (Converse area) in the next month or two.  My sister lives there with her family, and we're moving to be closer to them, as well as just making a change for our family.  She's actually going to be deployed to Iraq when we make the move, so she won't be around to immediately help us get our bearings.

I've visited before, so I'm somewhat familiar with the general lay of the land.  I'm really wanting to find out a little more details about the area, and hopefully make some connections with local like-minded mamas.  :)  

We homeschool, so I'm especially wanting to find out about any groups or co-ops in the area.  My two in grades are 1st and 3rd, I also have a preschooler and infant.  

We're also going to be looking for a church.  We currently attend a Nazarene church, but we're open to any denomination (or "non-denomination") if we feel at home there.  We generally prefer a more modern style of worship, casual atmosphere, with lots of activities going on for adults and children, and lots of young families in general.  

Also, recommendations for health food stores, cloth diapering/natural baby care stores, farmer's markets and such would be great.  

Of course anything else you can think of that you feel would be good info to have for someone new to the area is very appreciated!  

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#2 of 4 Old 03-18-2011, 08:21 PM

San Antonio Home School Groups

http://www.homeedsa.com/Support%20Groups.asp

SAHFL is a large secular group that meets at a park. Also, some businesses actually block out time for homeschool groups, like the Creative Drama Academy in Helotes.

There is an API group in New Braunfels.

The Sun Harvest Farms chain is the "natural" grocery store around here.

You could try out Community Bible Church--its a little bit of a drive from Converse (about 20min iirc).

http://www.communitybible.com/ministries/worship/

There is a farmer's market at the Pearl Brewery off Broadway but I think there are others.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#3 of 4 Old 03-22-2011, 09:49 AM

You might find my website helpful http://www.sanantonionaturalparenting.com

We also have a Face Book group with lots of parents willing to answer questions about the area. http://www.facebook.com/SanAntonioNaturalParenting

I'm not much help with the church info, but there are plenty to choose from. smile.gif

Best wishes with the move!

Diane

Mom of 4

#4 of 4 Old 03-27-2011, 08:17 PM

There is also a mommys group on meetup.com for "Crunchy" moms in SA.  The group name is MotherNature.

Stephanie
Momma to Gavin (3/24/09), Heart broken 6/13/10, TTC

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page