Corporal punishment in Texas schools?! (Or, we might be moving to Austin and I am freaking out). - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 06-26-2011, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Clearly, there's a huge cultural divide. 

Healthcare is a human right!
#32 of 42 Old 06-26-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylemama View Post

Clearly, there's a huge cultural divide. 

I don't know about that. There are lots of parent advocate groups in Dallas and Austin that are against spanking. The truth is, corporal punishment is rarely used, if at all, anywhere. As a journalist, I often find that when there is an incident of corporal punishment in schools, it quickly becomes a news story. Districts in Texas have been conditioned to avoid those types of situations.

What you really need to worry about is the resources available to libraries and teachers inside public schools. Our governor (who is also testing the presidential waters), Rick Perry, is gutting our education funding system. School districts are cutting librarians and resource teachers budgets in half, if not more. I find that more troubling than any perceived trepidation over corporal punishment.

#33 of 42 Old 06-26-2011, 12:12 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#34 of 42 Old 07-01-2011, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Didn't read it all, but I'll say this. Texas is a lot more...well, it's quite the "mutt" state, if you will. Sure, we have your stereotypical spanking drawling southerners but there are people from all different cultures and backgrounds. I was born and raised and still live in Dallas. I grew up thinking homebirth and breastfeeding were the cultural norm until I was old enough to realize it wasn't. 

The nice thing about Austin is, like Dallas, you can easily find people who share your beliefs and just stick with them. And then you end up finding people who definitely do not parent the same but you get along great because there is such a variety of culture, more people have learned tolerance.

At any rate, it's extremely rare for a school to use corporal punishment. If I remember correctly the last time I heard about it happening there was a huge deal made of it and I believe said teacher got sacked? Meh, it's been a while so I've forgotten. winky.gif

Anyway, Texas is great, especially Austin. orngbiggrin.gif

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#35 of 42 Old 07-06-2011, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  We've actually met many wonderful parents in our neighborhood- most of them are liberal transplants as well.  We have a terrific midwife set up, really like our house and are liking it overall.   We'll be fine- there are some differences, but we've been really impressed with how friendly and ambitious the people we've met here are.

#36 of 42 Old 07-06-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylemama View Post

Thanks!  We've actually met many wonderful parents in our neighborhood- most of them are liberal transplants as well.  We have a terrific midwife set up, really like our house and are liking it overall.   We'll be fine- there are some differences, but we've been really impressed with how friendly and ambitious the people we've met here are.

I'm glad you're pleasantly surprised by our fair state. Hopefully you'll take the family out to some of our wonderful state parks soon! Great hiking, fishing, and swimming to be had!

#37 of 42 Old 07-06-2011, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Haha. Oh...where is the water? The outdoorsey stuff is what makes the allergies around here tolerable and I have felt very sad this year.

Birthwise has a meetup (I will admit sometimes its just me and April) that is getting together at the little stacy paddling pool some tuesdays at noon. There is a big oak that covers most of the pool which is a blessing for my pasty white skin. Let me know if you'd like to know when we will be there.
#38 of 42 Old 07-07-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyMama View Post

Haha. Oh...where is the water? The outdoorsey stuff is what makes the allergies around here tolerable and I have felt very sad this year.

Birthwise has a meetup (I will admit sometimes its just me and April) that is getting together at the little stacy paddling pool some tuesdays at noon. There is a big oak that covers most of the pool which is a blessing for my pasty white skin. Let me know if you'd like to know when we will be there.

Seriously. Is it ever going to rain again in Central Texas? I'm in Dallas and a lot of my friends who bass fish can't even launch their boats from slips in Lake Texoma because the water is too low! Perhaps a trip to Balmorrhea is in order?

#39 of 42 Old 08-02-2011, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

This is sort of old, but I'd like to know where the 49,000 kids paddled comes from. I don't believe it for one second. Yes, corporal punishment is still legal in Texas, but almost every district I've heard of has banned it, for PR reasons if nothing else. So I'd really like to know where that number comes from... OP, do you have a link for that?

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#40 of 42 Old 08-03-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/27195369.html

Quote:

Nationwide, 223,190 students received corporal punishment during the 2006-2007 school year, and 49,197 of them were in Texas, according to a study released Wednesday by the American Civil Liberties Union and Human Rights Watch.

Texas leads the U.S. in the use of corporal punishment, followed by Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Florida and Missouri, the study says.

#41 of 42 Old 08-03-2011, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Thanks for providing that. It definitely is troubling. Although, looking at the report, it's not 100% clear to me that they're distinguishing between students being paddled and students being inappropriately restrained. The later is definitely troubling, as well, but would seem to me to be lack of proper training rather than a clear intent to perpetrate violence against children.

Quote:
Texas leads the U.S. in the use of corporal punishment, followed by Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Florida and Missouri, the study says.

This quote is, at best, misleading. Although their are more total students subjected to corporal punishment in Texas than the other states, Texas also has far more students than the other states listed. That number represents barely 1% of Texas students. Too much, definitely, but Texas is not the worst offender. The actual ACLU report gives the real ranking as: Mississippi (7.5%), Arkansas (4.7%), Alabama (4.5%), Oklahoma (2.3%), Tennessee (1.5%), Georgia and Texas (1.1%), Missouri (.6%), and Florida (.3%).

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#42 of 42 Old 08-04-2011, 08:57 PM

I grew up in NE Texas as well, I've been out of high school since 2000, but I very clearly remember getting licks instead of detention by choice in the 9th grade. By my senior year there were some issues, but it was more, males couldn't paddle females.

I'm a hairstylist, and not long ago I had a elementary school principal in my chair. He did not look the part, so we had an interesting chat about his ways. He had been in Austin, but had moved a little more south. He does NOT agree with corporal punishment, and actually had to defend his choice to the school board. THAT to me is ridiculous.

He talks to the kids about what's going on. And helps them find better ways to deal, like if it was an altercation, he teaches them about talking things out or just non violent resolutions.

Sorry I'm not adding much of substance, but when seeing this I immediately thought of my client.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page