Moving from Alaska to Texas - Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-24-2011, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

HI all, I'm Niki, mama to 2 boys & my husband works in the oilfield at the top of Alaska  and will continue even after we move so I will be alone for 3 weeks at a time! I've never been to Texas. I am nervous about the heat because as I said I'm from Alaska. We are active in our local Le Leche League group, also apart of local baby wearing/cloth diaper/peaceful parent groups. We love and enjoy being outdoors. I'm nervous that the heat will restrict us during the day?
We are looking in the Waxahachie & surrounding areas.

I'm mostly curious about if there are local natropaths anyone can recommend?

whole foods/oranic stores?

food buying coops like azurestandard?

Local Le Leche League/ap groups?

any waldorf communities?

Also is anyone locally involved in a paleo/primal diet/community?

it'll be wonderful to be able to enjoy the outdoors all year verses darkness several months at a time!

Any help is much appreciated - we are only in the planning stages as we own rental property here and are trying to get finishing touches before we move.

Thanks, Niki

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 06-24-2011, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Also we would like to rent a place before purchasing home/land. Anyone have any leads on property managers? realtors to speak with? Great websites to check out. How trustworthy is Craiglist? Thanks again!

#3 of 14 Old 06-24-2011, 11:06 AM

Just wondering why you're considering Waxahachie? There's a community just north on I-35 called North Oak Cliff. It's in the Dallas city limits and sounds like it's a bit more up your alley. I live in East Dallas, and I love Oak Cliff. 

You'll find co-ops there: http://urbanacres.wordpress.com/

An organic grocery store is going to be built there soon, too. But there's a Whole Foods not too far away. 

In any case, I would consider moving a little further north if I were you.

#4 of 14 Old 06-24-2011, 12:52 PM

Agreed.  Waxahachie may not be the best fit. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoEngland View Post

Just wondering why you're considering Waxahachie? There's a community just north on I-35 called North Oak Cliff. It's in the Dallas city limits and sounds like it's a bit more up your alley. I live in East Dallas, and I love Oak Cliff. 

You'll find co-ops there: http://urbanacres.wordpress.com/

An organic grocery store is going to be built there soon, too. But there's a Whole Foods not too far away. 

In any case, I would consider moving a little further north if I were you.

#5 of 14 Old 06-24-2011, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

hubby co-worker lives in waxahachie so I think he feels comfortable with knowing someone to visit with, etc. Waxahachie  isn't permanent, just a place to start and get a feel for Texas. We are also interested in the property taxes as well and where is cheapest. We are hoping to invest into property.

What is Waxahachie all about? Can you give me some insight or message me privately? nik_907@hotmail.com

I'm not opposed to driving to get groceries, we pay almost $5/gal here to travel and most of the stuff we eat are into has to be shipped in. Allot of places refuse to ship to alaska even though we are apart of USA. I'm also looking forward to farms with meat and veggies..

Thanks, Ladies.

#6 of 14 Old 06-28-2011, 09:07 AM

The Denton area may be more for you, if you are interested in homesteading type things at all.  And it is a great town w/lots to do, but not so huge that you feel overwhelmed, like in Dallas.  There is a great natural foods store there, The Cupboard, and in Flower Mound there is a Sprouts natural store.  Then in Arlington (and hour from Denton) there is a Whole Foods market.  This area is fantastic for raising livestock, as long as you don't have any you have to keep cool (like our meat rabbits who live in the a/c).  There is a great co-op called The Best of the Blessed in Denton, too.  Our gardening season is long here.  As for the heat, I recommend a swimming pool of some sort, and lots of popsicles.  You get used to it.  For the past 3 days it's been 108 or so here at my homestead, and I've been in my bee suit for hours on end.  Ya take lots of breaks and drink lots of water and Gatorade (haven't found a better substitute for that yet, but looking!).  Just think, you can have your very own sweat lodge every day!  ;o)  Oh, and Denton has a nice LLL chapter, I believe.  Not sure about Waldorf, but I would imagine!!

For real estate, call Mona.  She used to live next door to me, and is really, really sweet.  http://www.century21.com/realestateagent/Mona-Sturgell-Denton-TX-10686117

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#7 of 14 Old 07-07-2011, 06:02 AM

Property tax information

http://www.txcountydata.com/links.asp

I moved from Alaska to Texas; you do get used to the heat, though you may be able to do more outdoors from October to May, than June through September.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#8 of 14 Old 07-10-2011, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I like to visit Waxahachie and I don't think it would be a bad place to live at all. I just never got a "crunchy" vibe from the place but all the people are very nice. I just don't want you to have a horrible impression. It's the kind of small town where the neighbors will probably bring over muffins and welcome you when you move in. Many probably leave their front doors and cars unlocked. They'll probably invite you to visit their church and also the ladies Republican meetup. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that whatsoever, I just don't get the impression you'll find food co-ops, any vegetarians or Waldorf there (I could be wrong). I would bet that you'd find a Le Leche group - if not in Waxahachie, fairly close. I know they have a group in Dallas.

It's a very charming place to visit, at least I think so. Lots of houses with the gingerbreading details, big front porches, stained glass!  They usually have lots of bluebonnets there each spring (that's our state flower) and they have several festivals throughout the year. They also do the Scarborough Festival there each year. It can be fun! http://www.srfestival.com/

I've live in TX my whole life. Our summers are very hot. But our winters are mild so that makes up for it. You can still do outdoor activities in the summer but I'd suggest doing them before 10:30 or 11 a.m.

Good luck to you!

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#9 of 14 Old 07-11-2011, 11:14 AM

026.JPGThis was taken at 4 p.m. on the northeast side of our house, in the shade.  I know my thermometer is accurate.  yikes2.gif  I thought the lights hanging there added a nice touch, lol.

If what Night Nurse said about Wax. is true, that's how it is out where we live.  Love it!  Not too crunchy, but hey, the trade-offs are fantastic.  We like to say we live in the land of milk and honey.  One time I was sending a jar of honey to a neighbor, and she sent me back a jar of goat's milk.  We now have both milk and honey on our property since we have a doe in milk. 

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#10 of 14 Old 07-17-2011, 06:08 PM

Since there were several applies I think it's safe to assume that the Dallas area has been covered in regards to what I would say. winky.gif But I will say, possibly reiterate, that Dallas does have quite a few resources in regard to all that stuff. You just have to know where to find them! But yes, the heat undoubtedly will take you some getting used to...honestly, one never TRULY gets 100% used to it, sadly. greensad.gif (I suggest buying a house with a pool if it's in your budget or finding a local one, trust me, it's very helpful with the kids!)

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#11 of 14 Old 07-18-2011, 08:39 AM

Definitely have to have a pool.  Definitely.  As much working outside as we do, there is no way we could survive w/out one.  we work, jump in and cool off and then work wet. 

#12 of 14 Old 07-18-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post

Definitely have to have a pool.  Definitely.  As much working outside as we do, there is no way we could survive w/out one.  we work, jump in and cool off and then work wet. 

Yay! I wish I had a pool, we'd be in it every day. lol

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#13 of 14 Old 07-18-2011, 12:15 PM

LOL.  Hey, a 5 gallon bucket does the trick, too.  I just got in from rewatering the livestock and ended up putting as much of me as I could in that bucket before I poured it to the goats.  We use the water that we collect out of the condensate lines of our a/c units.  It's water that would otherwise be wasted on the ground, and it is nice and cool and clean.  When the animals see us coming to refresh their water they come running for that good cold stuff!

#14 of 14 Old 08-13-2012, 12:05 PM

Niki, Did you end up moving to Texas? My husband & I have been talking about moving to Alaska, but I'm concerned about the cold there, in the same way you were concerned about the heat here.During the summer here in North Texas I don't get out much b/c of the heat, but I think it'll be the same in Alaska during the winter, I won't get out b/c of the cold..... 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page