Looking for vabc dr & mom/baby friendly hospital in Houston--is there such thing?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-24-2011, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've tried to go through old posts but I ended up confusing myself! lol 

I had a c-section with my first, 9 yrs ago.  I had a successful vbac 2 yrs ago with Dr Reed in the Woodlands.  I'm now pregnant with my third and need to find a dr who believes in vbac's.  I also need to find a great hospital to deliver at.  I loved Memorial Hermann the Woodlands.  I loved that baby stayed with me the whole time and was never taken away.  I loved that they didn't question when I declined vax. 

We're living in Pearland now and I really hate to drive all the way across town but I will if that's my only option.  (We've decided to only have a hospital birth even though I know home births/birth centers would be better.)  Thanks so much for any recommendations you might have!

Kristin, momma to Cade (11/01) and Camden (7/09) . Wife to Jeff and lover of Jesus.
My life in smilies:  treehugger.gifhomeschool.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gifvbac.gifdishes.gifwash.gifmodifiedartist.gifsewmachine.gifreading.gifgeek.gifphotosmile2.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-24-2011, 05:14 PM

Hi, Kristin!  If you are looking for an OB and hospital that are very VBAC friendly near Pearland, I would highly recommend Dr. Larry Milner in Pasadena.  He delivers at Bayshore.  I have worked with him as a doula as well as transferring patients to him as a student midwife with the birth center I apprentice with.  He is a very kind, well educated man.  He is pro-VBAC and lays out the pros and cons with his patients but ultimately lets them decide what is best for them.  He lets VBAC clients go past 41 weeks as long as everything looks good.  He is a great doctor.  Feel free to PM me for more info or any other questions!  Congrats on your pregnancy!

Shannon, Daughter of the King, Wife to Christopher, Blessed Mom of 3 Boys. Homeschool, SAHM, and midwife. 

#3 of 8 Old 07-24-2011, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Fantastic--he sounds great!  Does he have a website (or what's the name of his practice)?  Thanks so much for the info.  Now I have to ask...Bayshore???  I've just recently heard not so great things about Bayshore.  It wasn't labor and delivery, however.  As long as they let the baby stay in the room with me the ENTIRE time and aren't too pushy about no vax, I'm good to go!

Kristin, momma to Cade (11/01) and Camden (7/09) . Wife to Jeff and lover of Jesus.
My life in smilies:  treehugger.gifhomeschool.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gifvbac.gifdishes.gifwash.gifmodifiedartist.gifsewmachine.gifreading.gifgeek.gifphotosmile2.gif
#4 of 8 Old 07-26-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon84 View Post

Hi, Kristin!  If you are looking for an OB and hospital that are very VBAC friendly near Pearland, I would highly recommend Dr. Larry Milner in Pasadena.  He delivers at Bayshore.  I have worked with him as a doula as well as transferring patients to him as a student midwife with the birth center I apprentice with.  He is a very kind, well educated man.  He is pro-VBAC and lays out the pros and cons with his patients but ultimately lets them decide what is best for them.  He lets VBAC clients go past 41 weeks as long as everything looks good.  He is a great doctor.  Feel free to PM me for more info or any other questions!  Congrats on your pregnancy!

THIS! :) I recently attended an awesome mama and her babies birth at Bayshore with Milner. http://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_Larry_Milner.html  As her doula, we did a hospital tour together, we met with the Nursery nurses and LCs, and she 'struck a deal'/made a relationship with the nursery staff that she would be having complete rooming in. During her birthing time, they held to it. :) No problems! The nurses were great, and one even 'stole' my Midwfiery Today magazine to read up on a position that we tried out on mama to get her baby to descend. Dr. Milner himself? Funny, a little corny... very laid back and, after mom thanked Dr. Milner for the chance to VBAC, he replied, "M'dear, EVERY woman deserves JUST that, the CHANCE!". I too would love to help you and offer to pm me if you have other questions or want more information. Congratulations!! :)

Cole Deelah
a mama of 5, wife of one, doula, MW apprentice, and childbirth educator
#5 of 8 Old 07-26-2011, 04:31 PM

Bayshore gets a lot of bad stories passed around but I really think its your doctor.  I have yet to know a lady who has used Dr. Milner who has not had a wonderful experience at Bayshore.  Their lactation consultants are some of the best and Dr. Milner has a lot of clout around the hospital.

Shannon, Daughter of the King, Wife to Christopher, Blessed Mom of 3 Boys. Homeschool, SAHM, and midwife. 

#6 of 8 Old 07-26-2011, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

I ended up making my first appt with Dr del Castillo.  If it doesn't work out with him (he may not be in-network for my insurance), then I'm going to give Dr Milner a call! :-)  Thanks so much for yall's help!

#7 of 8 Old 07-27-2011, 06:45 AM

Dr. del Castillo is wonderful too!  I have worked with him before and have a client VBACing with him in September.  He is a kind man.  Congrats and good luck!

#8 of 8 Old 11-04-2013, 09:38 AM

He definitely has a lot of positive reviews http://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_Larry_Milner/reviews which corroborates your opinion of him :)

Vitals

Tags
Vbac , Vbac Safety Overdue , Natural Childbirth The Bradley Way Revised Edition , Husband Coached Childbirth Fifth Edition The Bradley Method Of Natural Childbirth , Hypbirth Natural Childbirth Preparation Kit Dvd , Ina Mays Guide To Childbirth , Connected Childbirth , Unassisted Childbirth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page