Pediatrician recommendation in lubbock, Texas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-19-2011, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We just moved to Lubbock, Texas and I'm searching for a pediatrician who is supportive of extended breastfeeding, will allow parents to make their own choices about vaccinations, and is supportive of/ knowledgeable about non-circumcised little boys. I'd also like someone who is supportive of natural/ alternative approaches and doesn't automatically prescribe antibiotics for every little thing.

Any recommendations? Thanks! 

#2 of 8 Old 09-20-2011, 05:52 AM

We have been in Lubbock for nearly 3 years and love Dr. Kit Linton at UMC.  She is a family practitioner, not just specifically pediatrics.  From the info I found on her before moving out here, she seemed like *the* premier hippie doctor to go to, haha.  She has never given me grief over not vaxing (though she might say, "This is baby's 6mo. visit, and we normally give them vax XYZ at this time.  I know you haven't wanted the others; do you want to decline this one, too?").  Telling her no brings zero drama.  There was also never any influence to circ our boy who was born while we were here.  She does not try to retract at well baby visits.  I do remember her telling me once that my older son's foreskin should be retractable by age 3, but it isn't and I believe that is actually normal.  He hasn't been to see her in a while, though, so I don't know if she would show concern over that. 

She delivers babies, too, so that's who we used for DS2 (there are no midwives out here).  I received great, pressure-free prenatal care from her.  She was also willing to use the fetoscope to find baby's heart rate, which none of the other OBs knew how to do.  She was great for the birth (but the hospital and nurses were another story...), and I still use her for well woman care.

The only downside is that she does everything from prenatal to geriatrics, so she is busy!  UMC has it set up that appointments are only made on a same day or next day basis, so it's not hard to get in to see her as long as she isn't off-site serving somewhere else.  Hope this helps, and welcome to Lubbock!

Believing, doting, simplifying, caffeinating, baking, midwife in training, and mothering like a dirty hippie. tea6.gif

baby.gif #3 due in April!

#3 of 8 Old 09-20-2011, 05:56 AM

This is funny - I just looked at your other post and read that you moved here from Norman.  We are moving to OKC in 3 months!  My husband is finishing his degree at Tech and already accepted a job offer out there after graduation.  So, thanks for the pedi recommendation in Norman!  I have signed on with CMS for my next baby's birth.  Do you have any experience with them?

Believing, doting, simplifying, caffeinating, baking, midwife in training, and mothering like a dirty hippie. tea6.gif

#4 of 8 Old 09-20-2011, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Oh that IS funny!

I actually just made an appointment with Kit Linton for my annual well woman exam - I'll check her out for ped care too. 

I used the CNMs at OU Medical Center in OKC for the birth of our DS. The midwife I used there has since retired. But I have MANY friends who have used the CMS in Norman and have been very happy with them. Just attend any La Leche League meeting in Norman and you'll probably meet a momma who has used them. There is also an Attachment Parenting group in Norman, so you'll find some like-minded families there as well.

What hospital did you use for your birth?  Any other recommendations for life in Lubbock?

I don't know a lot about OKC in terms of community/parenting stuff, but let me know if you have other questions about Norman. In OKC you might check out the Green Bambino FB page, it has a lot of natural parenting resources.

#5 of 8 Old 09-21-2011, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the info on CMS and otherwise.  We used UMC hospital for the birth because that's where Linton's privileges are.  I honestly can't report on too much AP activity here.  I believe there is still a LLL meeting held somewhere at a Catholic church each month.  We live in Shallowater (10min NW of Lbk) and have a source out here for fresh eggs and raw milk, but that might be a bit of a drive for you depending on where you live.

#6 of 8 Old 10-07-2011, 07:45 PM

We love Dr's Jeremy & Vanessa Dalton.  We do selective immunizations & they have no problem with our decisions.

#7 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 06:59 AM

Within the Texas Tech Medical Center there is a pediatrcian, Dr Robert Manns. I highly recommend him, I am not sure how you would go about seeing this particular pediatrician I think I just got lucky being allocated him. Hope this helps. He is very approachable and for my daughter who is terrified of hospitals he made her feel at ease. smile.gif

#8 of 8 Old 10-18-2013, 02:48 PM

Just wanted to add - Dr. Amanda Masters @ Health Point in Lubbock is another great pediatrician. She listened to my reasons why we're choosing not to vaccinate, gave me the papers about it as she's required to do and said if I change my mind, fine, if not it makes no difference to her and she'll still continue to be baby's pediatrician. :)

Last I checked she only accepted new patients if 2 wks old or younger.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page