Dr. Injac? Pediatric Medical Group Houston - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-24-2011, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are expecting our first baby in January, and I've been looking around for pediatricians that will support our views. I've heard great things about Dr. Injac on this website, and am wondering if anyone knows what the policy is on new patients?

When do I need to call and speak with someone there? Does anyone know if their practice has a policy of only taking so many new patients per month?

I just want to know at what point I need to set something up.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 10-06-2011, 12:27 PM

We use Dr. Injac and are very happy with him. He recommends the CDC vaccine schedule but will support whatever choices the parents make. I disagree with him quite a bit on babies and sleep. At a certain age, he recommends you just "let them cry." I told him I wasn't comfortable with that and just didn't talk to him about baby's or my sleep after that.

I recommend that you call now and set up a meet and greet appointment. There is usually no charge for this. I haven't heard recently if Injac is taking new patients or not, but that's why I think you should just get set up with him now. We moved to Houston 1 1/2 years ago when my daughter was 3 months old, and we had no trouble getting in to see him right away.

#3 of 10 Old 10-06-2011, 06:18 PM

Most of my crunchy-mama friends use him, or someone else in that practice, and they love him. He's out of network for my insurance, or else we'd switch. My understanding is that he's very extended BF, intact, no/selective/delayed vax friendly.

Mom to blahblah.gifDD (5/07), diaper.gifDS1 (02/10)h20homebirth.gif and babyboy.gif DS2 (11/11)h20homebirth.gif !

#4 of 10 Old 10-06-2011, 06:23 PM

We set-up an appt. with him when I was pregnant with my DD and asked him all the relevant questions that we were concerned about.  

He has been great for us!  We have two kids now, and he has been the only ped we've ever seen.  We don't vax; I am tandem nursing; our son is intact (and was born at home), etc... and we have never had any issues with him or his office.  

Go meet him and decide for yourself :)

ETA: I guess I never answered your main question (about new patients); I have no idea, but we had no problem getting in.  If you're due in January, I'd probably at least try to get in and meet him sometime before the holidays (and flu season) kicks into high gear.

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#5 of 10 Old 10-07-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesh933 View Post

Most of my crunchy-mama friends use him, or someone else in that practice, and they love him. He's out of network for my insurance, or else we'd switch. My understanding is that he's very extended BF, intact, no/selective/delayed vax friendly.

Thanks so much for your help! Do you by chance know the names of anyone else in that practice who is similar to him?

#6 of 10 Old 11-17-2011, 07:16 PM

Since we are a non-vax family, Dr. Injac recommended only one other doc at the practice to see in the event of his absence:  Dr. Marilyn Wilking. 

I think that Dr. Wilking only accepts newborns as patients.  In our interaction with her (one appt and one after-hours semi-emergency), she seems great but IMHO more mainstream that Dr. Injac.

Julie

#7 of 10 Old 01-05-2012, 08:57 AM

I found Dr. Injac's name on our group forum and he is said to be Very parent-empowering, allows parents to make their own choices without judgement, etc...

However, I just called Dr. Injac's office cause i need a pediatrician who has hospital rights at Texas Children's Hospital.  We intend to refuse the Hep B, eye ointment and possibly the K as well.

It turns out Dr. Injac does not want to take on new patients who do not want to follow hospital protocol.  In otherwords, he ain't down with refusing Hep-b, K, or eye ointment.

I am due March 6.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

#8 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

I am now in the same boat as you...only I am due on SATURDAY!

My husband just called and asked what the protocol is for delayed or selective vaccination...and they told us that they no longer allowed patients who are not following a "strict" schedule that Texas Children's Hospital follows, so they do not allow anyone who is selectively or delayed vaccination.

I don't know what to do now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoxoA View Post

I found Dr. Injac's name on our group forum and he is said to be Very parent-empowering, allows parents to make their own choices without judgement, etc...

However, I just called Dr. Injac's office cause i need a pediatrician who has hospital rights at Texas Children's Hospital.  We intend to refuse the Hep B, eye ointment and possibly the K as well.

It turns out Dr. Injac does not want to take on new patients who do not want to follow hospital protocol.  In otherwords, he ain't down with refusing Hep-b, K, or eye ointment.

I am due March 6.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

#9 of 10 Old 02-27-2012, 07:00 PM

I interviewed with Dr. Dickerson and she is very likable, easy to get along with.  She is someone you can work with.

She is very pro-vax as per her training and AAP.

She will agree to Dr. Sears alternative vax schedule.  So, thats good for those who want to delay.

She will take non-vaxers but wants you to sign the AAP's Refusal to Vaccinate form.  The language on this AAP form is really bad---it list the "consequences may include" of not vaccinating and completely omits the "consequences may include" of vaccinating. The overall tone of the form is one that calls the parent negligent for refusing vaccines.  So, sign a form that says you are negligent?  That AAP form is the only flaw i noticed.

#10 of 10 Old 03-01-2012, 06:44 PM

I had the same problem. I moved to Houston last summer and everyone I talked to recommended DR Injac and when I called the first thing the receptionist asked was if we would be strictly following the vaccine schedule. I told her we would be doing delayed/selective and she basically told me we wouldn't even be able to meet with him unless we agreed to the schedule. Its a shame because he is apparently one of the best dr's.

The other pediatrician I hear about a lot is Krenie Stowe but she is up in the Woodlands now I believe. 

We've been using Dr Sari Miettinen (near 610 & tc jester). She hasn't really made a fuss about us not vaccinating yet although we also needed to sign the waiver.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page